Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PC] Saints Row Third: Character Models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

[PC] Saints Row Third: Character Models

Post by howfie »

Source Code:

pc_saints_row3.h
pc_saints_row3.cpp

Instructions:

Code: Select all

* Copy all VPP_PC files from Steam\steamapps\common\saints row the third\packfiles\pc\cache to another directory.
* Use Rick's UnpackVPP tool to extract the VPP_PC files by dragging and dropping.
* Rick's latest UnpackVPP build crashes on soundboot.vpp_pc.
* You should have a bunch of folders and you can delete the extra VPP_PC files.
* Don't use Rick's UnpackSTR2; ripper takes care of this.
* Place ripper.exe and the zlib DLL in this directory as well.
* Before you run ripper, I would delete any directories that don't contain models files (like sound directories). ripper will run faster this way.
* Run ripper.exe.
* Look at image below to see how your folder should look before running ripper.

Notes:

* Extraction takes a long time, 30+ minutes lol. After extracting all STR2 files and textures, there are 200,000+ files. It takes time to search for files.
* Character models only.
* Texturing is manual (for now).
* Models are in LWO files.
* Skeletons are in OBJ files. They were kind of complex and best I can do is just joints connected by lines.
* Use your modeler to reconstruct bones to your liking using the OBJ file.
* Skeletons need to be rotated.
If you want static models, and there are over 100,000 of them (there are many duplicate files in different STR2_PC files though), either reply here or hit that thanks button to let me know there's interest. I tend to stop working on things when there is no interest (One Piece, Rise of Nightmares, etc.).

If there is anything wrong with any of the models, let me know. It is too hard to browse through 2,690 model files, 2,890 texture files, etc., to see if everything is OK. Some models had multiple UV channels; hope I got the right ones lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by howfie on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lumekano
advanced

Re: [PC] Saints Row Third: Character Models

Post by lumekano »

lol greats Job ^^ look like you work really hard^^
UnKnown
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

Thanks again o/
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

NP.

There was a ZLIB bug in the extractor... some of the DLC archives contain 0-byte files, which is why you see a ZLIB error around
Processing file 2396 of 6393: C:\Users\semory\source\xentax\Release\saints\dlc1\Running Man DLC.str2_pc.

Problem fixed and first post updated.

There is also a problem with some of the head LOD models. An eye point is off and I think this is intentional since the UV's are fine and the point is like in the middle of the vertex buffer. Not sure why... many of them are the same point... point #200 in the vertex buffer. I will look into it soon.
The Chief
veteran

Post by The Chief »

Ok i apreciate that info howfie and thanks for release this. :)
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

head's must be hiding from us :P
DxRipper rip no UV's.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

send me that file... i will convert some of the points to hex and do a file search for these numbers, even if they exist in the EXE lol. that pic you posted might be from cf_body.
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

howfie wrote:send me that file... i will convert some of the points to hex and do a file search for these numbers, even if they exist in the EXE lol. that pic you posted might be from cf_body.
There's a npc_basehead for male(john) and female(iory) they have good quality, I think the game uses morphs on them, maybe.
I'll pm you that head file in a sec.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

not just maybe, that is indeed the case :-). you pretty much guessed it. just have to figure out the morph format. for example, the base mesh has 0x592 vertices and shaundi's morph file has this at the end. this is going to require the ripper to do another pass at the files.

9005 6779 8500 151B 1548 D1F6
9105 6D75 8400 0000 0000 0000
i still haven't found that super high-resolution face you posted. it's not any of the base meshes lol. i couldn't search for it because dx ripper must scale the points (the head model in the OBJ wasn't on the same scale as the base meshes).
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

howfie wrote:not just maybe, that is indeed the case :-). you pretty much guessed it. just have to figure out the morph format. for example, the base mesh has 0x592 vertices and shaundi's morph file has this at the end. this is going to require the ripper to do another pass at the files.

9005 6779 8500 151B 1548 D1F6
9105 6D75 8400 0000 0000 0000
i still haven't found that super high-resolution face you posted. it's not any of the base meshes lol. i couldn't search for it because dx ripper must scale the points (the head model in the OBJ wasn't on the same scale as the base meshes).
It's from the initiation station, I couldn't get dxripper working with the full game.
The Chief
veteran

Post by The Chief »

Hey howfie just curius how i can import the LW0 files into max ? there is any plugin for that ?
i didnt research but dont find any usefull info.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

No there is no light waves plugins for 3 d studio max that I know of. There are some things that complicate matters such that skin controllers in 3 d studio max must have weights associated with bones. Also the 3 d studio max plugin sdk is really really ugly. I might write a max script plugin for lwo files pretty soon. But for now there are some things that you can do. You can use light wave and convert the lwo to either obj or fbx. You can also use blender to convert the files as well, which is what rexil does.
The Chief
veteran

Post by The Chief »

Oh ok , thanks for clarify that . :)
Maxunit
n00b

Post by Maxunit »

Heyo there,

howfire, is the ripper application working properly? Because there are a few files, at least for me, which the ripper cant unpack, mostly from the patch_compressed and patch_uncompressed directories and then just stops. If I remove all those unpackable files and let it do its job, the dds textures are all...invalid. At least for Photoshop.

Or did I miss something?
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

i have 72 game files in patch_compressed, plus 3 files ripper ripped for a total of 75 files. first version of ripper had a bug because i didn't test it with DLC... some DLC str2_pc files had empty files and it caused some problems but textures should be OK. i fixed it maybe a few hours after i posted first post. btw, NVIDIA's DDS photoshop plugin is known to be shit, too many phoney disc errors and other errors etc. when irfanview and other applications load them just fine.