Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Star Wars - The Old Republic - Beta - GR2 model

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Privateer
veteran

Re: Star Wars - The Old Republic - Beta - GR2 model

Post by Privateer »

mazor wrote: Does this theoretically imply that a new extractor can be written fairly easily?
For the most part Yes.
I've gotten most of the pointers to the important information pinned down now.
How to grab the model/mesh name and the texture information, model/mesh count, etc.
There's a few things to figure out yet but I should have that all sorted soon.

There will be no need to use the granny2.dll to extract the meshes with this format.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Try to teach a man to fish and he'll gripe at you for not just giving him the Damn Fish!
Hairless Wookiee
beginner

Post by Hairless Wookiee »

Btw testing is now over. Early access starts late next week (15th), so the retail client should go live by Mon/Tue (12/13) next week I would think. From comments made by devs it would seem that little is likely to change content-wise, but I'm unsure how things will change on the file system/format side of things.
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

I'd think this late in the date format should be pretty much set for the 3D meshes anyway.
I'll start a python script for Noesis to work the meshes exporting today.
Most of the information is easy to grab and what I have not figured out yet should fall into place as I work on it.

Edit:
Seems the Normals and TexCoords are shuffled in some way?
Not compressed but encrypted some how.
The rest of the information is very easy to extract as far as where in the file it is.
Try to teach a man to fish and he'll gripe at you for not just giving him the Damn Fish!
Hairless Wookiee
beginner

Post by Hairless Wookiee »

The retail client is now available for pre-load by those that have registered their pre-order code. They have also extended the early access period to 7 days (was previously 5) which now starts on Dec 13.

http://swtor.com/download
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

If you participated in the last 2 Beta Weekends then you won't need to uninstall your Game Client.
If you participated in The Old Republic Game Testing Program, but did not participate in the November 25th-28th or December 2nd-4th Beta Weekends, first uninstall the Game Testing Client before moving on to the next step. If you did participate in either of these Beta Weekends, there is no need to uninstall your Game Client. Visit the FAQ for instructions on how to uninstall your Game Testing Client.
Source:
http://www.swtor.com/early-access

It looks like they're done tweaking their model format for now.
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

The files are pretty easy to work except for the texcoords and what I think are the normals.
Those are encrypted somehow that I'm still trying to figure out.
It's not in the Granny2.dll (Which is a custom build for SWTOR)
Jokkocze
ultra-n00b

Post by Jokkocze »

Great job so far guys! I'm really looking forward to a working solution so I can get my hands on the XS Freighter model and make me some 2D-blueprints off it.
nicoli_s
advanced

Post by nicoli_s »

@Privateer:im also looking into these files, have you looked to see if maybe the UVs are done as uint32s that are divided by a constant value? ive seen other games do that alot
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

nicoli_s wrote:@Privateer:im also looking into these files, have you looked to see if maybe the UVs are done as uint32s that are divided by a constant value? ive seen other games do that alot
I've been running different things to try to find the 'magic' mixture but have not found it yet.
I have a few thoughts to try next but have been busy fixing a few systems for people.
And sometimes a few days away from a problem helps clear the mind.

I do know that the collision objects do not have the messed up 'normals' entries.
They have no 'normals' entries infact.
Those would be useless as the mesh is not rendered anyway.
nicoli_s
advanced

Post by nicoli_s »

do you mind posting your structure so far? ive got the first geoset rendered(without uvs and nromals) but havent figured out the geoset count yet
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

nicoli_s wrote:do you mind posting your structure so far? ive got the first geoset rendered(without uvs and nromals) but havent figured out the geoset count yet
I have not coded the structures yet so I can't 'show' you anything at this time.
The number of meshes in a given file is found at 1Ah
The files are a modified GR2 format. That I am sure of as I see many of the same pointers used in standard GR2 files.
I also compared earlier versions of the granny2.dll file to the last version I have and they are not changed.
That kind of tells me a few things after running stuff through IDA Pro.
nicoli_s
advanced

Post by nicoli_s »

it doesnt seem like that is the mesh count, as im finding meshes with a value of 0 there, that have values in the other spots you mentioned and i have imported the first mesh and its def valid
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

I should have put a ? mark after the 1Ah
It seems to hold true on the ones I cross compared but I did not check all the files.
What file has the 0 at 1ah?
JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JakeGreen »

so any progress on making it easier to find .GR2 models, i have a beta build from back this September and the last beta build, i happen to install 2 beta builds and i didn't buy the game since i don't have the money to keep paying on it and i've tried both build and can only get the weapons and ships and props and skeletons.gr2s out of the files, can you tell me where i can find the characters like this and the droid on the other pages cause they are more use to me thin the props since i'm converting and animating them to another star wars game for a mod
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

JakeGreen wrote:so any progress on making it easier to find .GR2 models, i have a beta build from back this September and the last beta build, i happen to install 2 beta builds and i didn't buy the game since i don't have the money to keep paying on it and i've tried both build and can only get the weapons and ships and props and skeletons.gr2s out of the files, can you tell me where i can find the characters like this and the droid on the other pages cause they are more use to me thin the props since i'm converting and animating them to another star wars game for a mod
The GR2 files are extracted but many are listed as .txt files as the MYP extraction stuff is not perfect.
Open the .txt files in a hex editor and look at the file header and rename as needed.
I'd like to get the time to finish a program I have started that finds and renames gr2 files.
You drag and drop a folder on it and hit OK. It searches every file in every subfolder and does the dirty work.