Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
BeeswaX
beginner

Post by BeeswaX »

nice to hear that, anyway is there a way to get metal gear solid 1 models ?
i really want to check them out
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Turfster wrote:I haven't touched a single line of code since last year due to being overseas and having a total work overload, and I don't see it happening in the near future to be honest, so all current projects (including solidus) are on hold indefinitely.
MGS3 support wouldn't have been ready anytime soon anyway since as far as I know, we haven't finished figuring out the encryption on the data files yet.
Awwww noooo!

Well, I understand Turfster. I've been busy too. But actually, I was busy with a few things, one of which is a 3D project not currently directly related to Solidus and MGS2, but will be eventually.

I really appreciate what you've done for us Turfster. You've opened the doors for us for new possibilities and new ways to play around with MGS2 and learn from it. I really appreciate all the time and hard work you put into this Solidus - you must be an extremely bright and talented man. I understand if life finds you now too busy, and if as well you lost interest in this. I just hope you will consider coming back to help us more in the future (we are lost without you!). But it also might be cool to let someone else continue your work too.

Thanks for everything, and yes, I really appreciate all those sound files! I still haven't checked it out (my bad), but these are really gonna come in handy for what I have planned. I appreciate everything you've done, but please come back to us eventually!

Take care of yourself. :wink:
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Wonder when this will reserface..
Though recently ive had next to NO time to really look into the forum at all lol.
Let aloen see if progress was made on this.
Though now its easter which means i get to work on my OWN game again.. FINALLY FOUND TIME.
If anything starts up on this then u all know im willing to help out with whatever(files code, ripping apart ect..)
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Well PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try and help me to get these Solidus .obj files to work in Maya. I can not understand or figure out WHAT is the problem here! Truth is, I need to atleast LOOK AT, if not USE several models of MGS2 for reference to help me with the MGS projects I'm trying to work on now, and this problem is really getting in my way. I've looked at the models with DazStudio and also Hexagon2, and they work there, but see, they aren't very presentable there. It's only in Maya that I know how to fix the messed up UV map and normals, and actually tinker with the models. It's what I know and am comfortable with, and as its an ALIAS format (isn't it?) Maya of all programs should work the best! But I've not had troubles with any other .objs in Maya, just these Solidus ones.... What gives?

Please, if somebody can figure it out, please post or PM me. I need the help with this.... If its something we can actually track down withen the files, perhaps if we ever get a new version of Solidus, the objs can be fixed.

Oh, since I got a new computer recently (FINALLY!) I also reinstalled MGS2 and I have some really weird bugs now! A quarter of the screen has the effects cropped out in a square shape, and it shows up all over the game, and its plenty distracting, so I can't really let this one slide.... Such a shame! Wouldn't it perfect if one day, we could use Solidus to correct bugs in the game - make new patches? Alot of PC players of MGS2 (not many probably play it anymore though), are probably more concerned with having the game LOOK right than to rip apart its innards to be playin with.

I shall have to seek out my answers as best I can, but there are no guarantees in the PC world.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Still cant figure out the Problem that you have with the OBJ files in maya..
What version of MAYA are you using again?

Lol on another note... when i was speaking to you on msn this morninig.. i had 4 job interviews lol..
OMFG the cut on my head that you saw... i was ACTUALLY concussed for ages.. all dizzy an i still feel kinda ill now too u know lol.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

lionheartuk wrote: Lol on another note... when i was speaking to you on msn this morninig.. i had 4 job interviews lol..
OMFG the cut on my head that you saw... i was ACTUALLY concussed for ages.. all dizzy an i still feel kinda ill now too u know lol.
What?? What happened?
TheDyingInformant
veteran

lionheartuk wrote:Still cant figure out the Problem that you have with the OBJ files in maya..
What version of MAYA are you using again?

Lol on another note... when i was speaking to you on msn this morninig.. i had 4 job interviews lol..
Now see what I was saying before? A high bed really can be dangerous. Next time, don't spring up so fast just to answer the phone =P I hope you're alright now.

4 interviews? WHAT? After you left you mean?

Well, back on topic, the obj files I don't understand! Its really a weird problem, it seems like not alot of Maya users get. The search on google I did for the problem led me to the solution of: Try to find a Maya user who can view those files, and turn them into .mb for you. There was literally no other answer or work around. So I hope you can help, or anyone here? I'm using Maya 7 currently.

I have some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

So both the .evx and .kmy source models don't work as .obj in Maya7 for me. I try to import it, and I get the Error: Line 1: Index out of range for face creation. Now maybe for the .evx files with their weird normals this may have made sense, but neither do the other files work.

[img=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6590 ... om6.th.jpg]

But several examples show up just fine in Hexagon 2. Too bad I don't really know how to use this program at all. Exporting them as .fbx doesn't work either, or I don't know the compatible settings. I attempted to re-export as new .obj files, but they still won't work in Maya.

[img=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5818 ... pe1.th.jpg]

Yet isn't it strange how other objs work just fine in Maya, as shown here.

[img=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6315 ... pg2.th.jpg]

And stranger yet how the MGS files used to work in Maya for me - version 5. It seems there may have been obj glitches or generally pickiness happen from 6.5 onward. That or there is something weird about the MGS files that I can't figure out, but only Maya hates them? Here you can see I once used to be able to use these figures in Maya, and the only reason I still can, is because I had saved them to the Maya Binary format. That is only 3 models! I have more I wish to work with that I never saved before. And I don't want to go back to Maya 5, because I have now version 7 files I've worked on - the program is backwards compatible, not forwards compatible. Your files will only work on the same version or higher.

[img=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4633 ... tc5.th.jpg]

The problem here too is that I'm a little bit nervous about asking for help with this on Maya forums, because I did this once, and he wanted to see an example of a file. Well, I want to keep this MGS2 hacking really hush-hush, cause you can easily find developers and people on those sites who really have a problem with you modding games that weren't designed for that originally.

If anyone has ANY ideas, please PM me or post here! Really I'd appreciate it!
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Mr.Mouse wrote:
lionheartuk wrote: Lol on another note... when i was speaking to you on msn this morninig.. i had 4 job interviews lol..
What?? What happened?
Well i dont expect anything BACK frmo most of the palces i applied to..
But as for my cuts...
I slept on my arm.. (causing a DEAD ARM) so seing as i have a very high off the floor bed i normally just use my arm to flip me up and out fo bed..
Though.. this time my arm was dead.. so it didnt suppost my weight for very long.. i got to the MAX HEIGHT of my flip.. and my arm gave way(causing me to fall ON MY FACE..).
So right now i got this big cut on the side of my head...(though the way i did it is actually rather funny story)
Right nwo ive got the Dying Informant trying to get me to wear a Bandage lol.

DYINGINFORMANT:

in Maya 6.0 + the .OBJ importer doesnt realy like Groupign so much..
I tend to ahve to import INTO 3D MAX or blender.. then export into maya from there (Via NEW OBJ again lol).
its not raelly so bad..
You should use Blender though as its free and small and pretty damned simple to use.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Ok well, the Blender thing completely didn't work out for me... Luckily I managed to reinstall Maya 5 on a different computer, where I converted the files into MB. Man, I am so GLAD I got it working! This is the first time I've ever had access to the EVX files, lol. And I had to play around alot with those to fix the normals, but I figured it out I'm sure.... Soon, I will be able to send you an updated FAQ for Solidus.

Also, soon I'll have to post/show my findings with the troubles of replacing textures. It doesn't necessarily work too well, but I need to look into it some more.

In the meantime, can anybody help me out finding certain things? I have no idea where to find the weapons, items, or player characters for the story mode. Well there are items like rations and magazines and stuff.... Where would I find the box for instance? For the story campain.... I'd really appreciate it.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Does this program has finally got the ability of edit the text of the game? Since last time I downloaded that ability was like not working.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Nope.
Doesnt have that feature.
That feature was removed from the INTERFACE.. though it may still be in the code.

Ul have to wait for Turfster to reply.
But as far as i know this project seems to be either VERY dormant or just plain DEAD.
Grey Sacu
ultra-n00b

Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

Post by Grey Sacu »

Hi all. I'm a MGS fan and I have some to try. Playng Ninja in MGS2 and using NVG we can see:
My wish is play like ninja with close face without use NVG.
Using Solidus I found the kmy files:
...stage/r_vr_b/resident.dar-->rai_nin_face_open.kmy
...stage/r_vr_b/resident.dar-->rai_nin_face_close.kmy
When I use Solidus to replace them it send a lot of error messages. "Something went wrong" and all files under the replaced file are "corrupted". Someone has any idea to replace these files?
My apologize for my english i need improve.

Thanks to Turfster for the genial Solidus. Thanks to lionheartuk for the FAQ. Thanks to TheDyingInformant for the post. And thanks all for read me :P

GL & HF
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Grey Sacu wrote:Hi all. I'm a MGS fan and I have some to try. Playng Ninja in MGS2 and using NVG we can see:
My wish is play like ninja with close face without use NVG.

When I use Solidus to replace them it send a lot of error messages. "Something went wrong" and all files under the replaced file are "corrupted". Someone has any idea to replace these files?
My apologize for my english i need improve.

Thanks to Turfster for the genial Solidus. Thanks to lionheartuk for the FAQ. Thanks to TheDyingInformant for the post. And thanks all for read me :P

GL & HF
(i only got thanked for the FAQ...not helping decode the MGS TTS files...and sending results to be played about with more).
Anyways.
This is a BIG request...your talking about replacing the game Geometry here...
Or at least editing the scripting to make it sou that it reads a different KMY file...then itd have to read new UV and texture locations
and a whole new TEXTURE map...
Basically speaing Without turfster...i alone cant do this. its too complicated.
I could even work out the animations in the game.
Grey Sacu
ultra-n00b

Post by Grey Sacu »

My excuses. It is difficult for me to understand 19 pages in English. Often I do not know about what one is speaking in them. It has not been my intention to devaluate your achievements.
Thanks now for your help decoding the MGS TTS files and sending results to be played about with more. Thanks for to answer me too.
If replace kmy files is too difficult may be we can do replacing the green texture of NVG by a neutral texture. It will be possible?

GL & HF.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Grey Sacu wrote:My excuses. It is difficult for me to understand 19 pages in English. Often I do not know about what one is speaking in them. It has not been my intention to devaluate your achievements.
Thanks now for your help decoding the MGS TTS files and sending results to be played about with more. Thanks for to answer me too.
If replace kmy files is too difficult may be we can do replacing the green texture of NVG by a neutral texture. It will be possible?

GL & HF.
It fine lol.
I was joking.
I dont really mind as turfster did most of the work.
Hmm* Perhaps if you can find the NVG's somewhere then you might be able to change the texture in the view..
But im not sure if the game does the colours of the view with a texture...as its just as easy in a game engine to change the screen tint and RGB levels...sou im not 100% sure if this is possble.
But chances are if it IS then itl be a simple case of replacing the texture is all.