Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Finally recieved MGS2SUBSTANCE PS2 back from my friend :D .
It doesnt have a BGM.DAT after all lol, though Snakea Eater does and When i load that into Solids it ses the number of Audio Channels is 4 but then ses it cant do it for some Unknown reason.

Also as someone has PREVIOUSLY stated there APPEAR to be some PROBLEMS with the EVX to OBJ converter, MANY of the normals are INCORRECTLY flipped and the HAIR on the snake model has all them WHITE parts that were a problem in the ORIGINAL TGA TEXTURE EXPORTER.
Im not sure if this is the same with .DDS though, as I need to get the MAX .DDS plugin.
Any news by the way dude, On any files I sent'ya or on MGS2 Bones and stuff?
il send the help fil esoona sits 60% done now, as I bin VERY busy lately with Uni.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

lionheartuk wrote:Finally recieved MGS2SUBSTANCE PS2 back from my friend :D .
It doesnt have a BGM.DAT after all lol, though Snakea Eater does and When i load that into Solids it ses the number of Audio Channels is 4 but then ses it cant do it for some Unknown reason.
Have you tried to read the second layer? PS2 Disks have the second layer so hidden you need to make a ISO then use a program to extract second layer data into useable files.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote:
lionheartuk wrote:Finally recieved MGS2SUBSTANCE PS2 back from my friend :D .
Have you tried to read the second layer? PS2 Disks have the second layer so hidden you need to make a ISO then use a program to extract second layer data into useable files.
no i never knew that actually.
il make an ISO of it then I guess.
Think Win Image would suffice for that?
Btw for anyone reading this Backing up OWNED games with OWND programs is perfectly legal ok.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Sorry for the delay.
You need to make a ISO image (ISO format exactly), then find a program called Apache 2, with it you should open the iso and look for an option to get the Layer2. With it you can make another iso of the layer2, then you can extract the files.

BTW you should know that the disk is double layered since Windows only reads the first layer, but ISO programs (I used DVD Decrypter I remember) makes ISOs larger than a single layer disk size.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote:You need to make a ISO image (ISO format exactly), then find a program called Apache 2, with it you should open the iso and look for an option to get the Layer2. With it you can make another iso of the layer2, then you can extract the files.

BTW you should know that the disk is double layered since Windows only reads the first layer, but ISO programs (I used DVD Decrypter I remember) makes ISOs larger than a single layer disk size.
Ah thankyou my friend.
Though I wonder if this would help with MGS2 as not ALL PS2 disks use Hidden Data, Some FFX for example DO hide almost everything but MGS2 itd be a wate to hide BGM.DAT but not hide STAGE.DAT OR VOX.DAT as there the things most likely to be hacked, People will jsut DOWNLOAD the music off th einternet themselves.
But i will make an ISO of MGS3 anyways and see if anything NEW pops up from it, Maybe some Hidden FIles But i really doubt it to be honest as all the files seem to be there anyways.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

I made an ISO file of MGS3 and one of MGS2 but it apears that neither of them are DVD9.
So they dont CONTAIN a second HIDDEN layer after all.
Only DVD8 CONTAIN HIDDEN layers.
So I gained nothing at all from Makign an ISO of my MGS2 and 3 PS2 DVDS

YES THEY ARE MINE AND ARE LEGAL.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

MGS2 is single layered, MGS2S is double-layered.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote:MGS2 is single layered, MGS2S is double-layered.
oh i seee.
Well either way I already ahve all the stuff off of the PC verison Of MGS2S so the PS2 version Doesnt really matter tbh, THOUGH there IS a metla Gear REX model in the Document of Mgs2 that I would like to have.
And idea if THIS is double layer or not?
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

I haven't done a backup of the Document, but I guess that the size is indicated before doing the backup.
jokoon
ultra-n00b

Post by jokoon »

Hum I did not read this thread entirely, but is there a way to extract sounds from VOX.DAT ? I have extracted BGM.DAT thanks a lot to solidus and its maker, but VOX.DAT seems not to be a supported filetype.
I tried Extractor, I don't if there is any other program to extract this file.
Any idea ? Are the SFX sound I'm looking for in another file(s) ?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

jokoon wrote:Hum I did not read this thread entirely, but is there a way to extract sounds from VOX.DAT ? I have extracted BGM.DAT thanks a lot to solidus and its maker, but VOX.DAT seems not to be a supported filetype.
I tried Extractor, I don't if there is any other program to extract this file.
Any idea ? Are the SFX sound I'm looking for in another file(s) ?
Indeed VOX.dat contains Sound Effects and such.
Your best bet at the moment it to use Jeader Neub(however you spell it) by Strobe and scan it with UVAG scanner, I got allt he sounds this way, But i dont know a way to convert them to WAV or MP3 at the moment, and I havent really looked into it.
Alos you could try the PSX sound ripper, I forget the name of it, but that will do it i know it does As i used it a few years back.
PSOUND is what its called sorry.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

I looked at a few EVX files and they ALL seem to have some CRAZY unflipped normals, Of course its no energy to flip them for me, But others i had to explain it to for days on end.

Here is an example image of what im talking about.
Its Snake.
The REAL
n00b

Post by The REAL »

Structure of STAGE.DAT file from MGS2 PS2 is different that GameGube TS STAGE.DAT?
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

I can't even deal with the normals problem yet, now that my new Maya is more finicky about .obj than ever before, it doesn't like the fact that these Solidus/MGS2 files contain seperate texture map sections. It only wants to open up SINGLE mesh polygons, not something that acts like multiple objects. I can not comprehend why the newer versions of Maya are like this, nor can I understand why my robot character when turned into .obj, opens up, but is turned into a single MESH, while MGS2 .objs instead won't even OPEN at all, it just REJECTS them. Unless I can somehow get my hands on them ahead of time and convert them to become single mesh, single object.....

Anyway enough of the technobabble here. Sorry about that. :roll:

Basically what I need to ask is, Turfster, if you wouldn't mind, next time you make a new Solidus upgrade (if you do, and I hope you do ;) ) I wonder if you could please add a third choice under "conversion mode": "single mesh only" and it doesn't seperate the texture maps at all. I don't know if this is possible for you, or worth the trouble. Darn you, Alias!

Well, thanks very much as always for your continued support. Twin Snakes' textures now?! This gets more and more exciting! :D If only I could experiment further...
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The REAL wrote:Structure of STAGE.DAT file from MGS2 PS2 is different that GameGube TS STAGE.DAT?
Of course it does.
But Solidus supports MGS2 TS STAGE.DAT anyways.
Well, thanks very much as always for your continued support. Twin Snakes' textures now?! This gets more and more exciting! If only I could experiment further...
huh?
Solidus does support Metal gear Twin Snakes Textures though..