Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ripping Samus Dread (.pkg file)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Ripping Samus Dread (.pkg file)

Post by Joschka »

kees wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:23 pm ***edit *** got it to work but there is an issue it doesnt grab some of the normals from samus's cannon (samuscannon_nm) but ill rip those manually for right now.
Ah yes it seems to grab the _at texture instead, I guess the material chunk doesn't have a consistent layout...
kees wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:23 pm oh also joshka when put into blender it links the file to a location in the noesis dump and not where it has exported originally. and if you export it as png it still does .dds aswell. just a nitpick but thought id mention.
Yeah that's the expected behaviour, this way you get a self contained asset if that makes sense. And yeah the additionnal PNG export will have dds + PNG, since it's a built-in Noesis feature I can't prevent that I think. However if you load textures individually and export or use the batch export feature you'll be able to export as PNG only if you want.
Enderfacio wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:54 pm Turns out that exporting the textures in .jpg is the best option. i made some renders with Keyshot:
Looking good !
kees wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:50 am there seem to be more texture formats. earlier went through the gui textures for the menus and there are some being borked. aswell as the power suits lockonmissile textures they seem to be compleetly white aswell as some of the gui ones (and some other model ones too).
Yes there are buggy/unsupportd texture formats, that will end up white. Support for these would have to be added to the plugin.
ByStander23 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:45 am Little off-topic:
Joschka, Will you add support for Metroid:SR in the near future?
I don't have a particular interest for this game so most likely not, M-1 may do it though maybe (or someone else, the formats are close so you can follow the code and adapt it).

Talking about this, I'd just like to mention a few things :
-I don't have interest in digging much more into Dread, I only reversed the model format "for fun" and decided to make a quick and dirty script for it so people interested in this game could study/check the assets. So aside from a few more hypothetical fixes don't expect much more from me at least, I'm busy with other projects and will probably get back to them soon.
-KillZ already supported the embedded xtx format in the bctex files, so he added support for the Dread texture format in the Switch Toolbox. So if some textures fail in Noesis, you can use the https://github.com/KillzXGaming/Switch-Toolbox to grab them. Considering this is a thing I'll probably won't bother with adding more formats myself.
-Contributions/PRs are welcome if you want to fix/improve the script, that's why I put it on github https://github.com/Joschuka/fmt_mmdl . In particular if you want to add more texture formats, this is the section that will interest you : https://github.com/Joschuka/fmt_mmdl/bl ... #L162-L193

That's pretty much it, I hope the script was somewhat useful to you. I'll probably try to fix the few remaining models not loading and then I'll move on.
Enderfacio
beginner

Post by Enderfacio »

Joschka wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 am

-I don't have interest in digging much more into Dread, I only reversed the model format "for fun" and decided to make a quick and dirty script for it so people interested in this game could study/check the assets. So aside from a few more hypothetical fixes don't expect much more from me at least, I'm busy with other projects and will probably get back to them soon.
-KillZ already supported the embedded xtx format in the bctex files, so he added support for the Dread texture format in the Switch Toolbox. So if some textures fail in Noesis, you can use the https://github.com/KillzXGaming/Switch-Toolbox to grab them. Considering this is a thing I'll probably won't bother with adding more formats myself.
-Contributions/PRs are welcome if you want to fix/improve the script, that's why I put it on github https://github.com/Joschuka/fmt_mmdl . In particular if you want to add more texture formats, this is the section that will interest you : https://github.com/Joschuka/fmt_mmdl/bl ... #L162-L193

That's pretty much it, I hope the script was somewhat useful to you. I'll probably try to fix the few remaining models not loading and then I'll move on.
Dude thank you so much for all your help!! Since I don't recieve my copy of Metroid Dread yet I don't want to spoiler the game by checking the assets but all I wanted it for now is the Samus suit 3d model so thank you for your files and the patience to help us :D
kees
n00b

Post by kees »

Joschka wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 am

serieusly. so far ive been able to get the dread suit. emmy and some other things. its workable mostly appart from some small things. but its compleetly understandable. and i want to say aswell serieusly thank you and m1 for doing so much already! sorry if i ever seemed a bit nitpicky or a biut rude in my words. just wanted to give as much feedback as possible with it so i apologise if that was ever the case. doing game ripping/modding should always be about fun so all your points are valid and compleetly understandable! there is a lot we can do already and the groundwork should be there for others to continue afterward. so once again serieusly thank you so much for all the work you 2 have done it shouldn't go underappreciated.

and serieusly thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart that worked on this and tried to help how they could to figure this out. its been a while since ive seen a community come together to work on a game to pull it appart.
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

09williamsad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:18 pm Models reconverted with the new script, 8333 total with 40 that did not convert, list attached.
Version 0.5 has some workaround to load the remaining 40 models, there's some weird issue with the joint indices exceeding the joint maps length for some meshes that I'm confused about but now they'll load at least.
Aside from a few meshes being misplaced all models should now load hopefully.
kees wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:00 am sorry if i ever seemed a bit nitpicky or a biut rude in my words. just wanted to give as much feedback as possible with it so i apologise if that was ever the case.
Don't worry I never read your messages as rude or anything, I understood you genuinely wanted to help with bug reporting and making the script better, I appreciate it a lot.
Enderfacio wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:07 pm Dude thank you so much for all your help!! Since I don't recieve my copy of Metroid Dread yet I don't want to spoiler the game by checking the assets but all I wanted it for now is the Samus suit 3d model so thank you for your files and the patience to help us :D
kees wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:00 am serieusly. so far ive been able to get the dread suit. emmy and some other things. its workable mostly appart from some small things. but its compleetly understandable. and i want to say aswell serieusly thank you and m1 for doing so much already! doing game ripping/modding should always be about fun so all your points are valid and compleetly understandable! there is a lot we can do already and the groundwork should be there for others to continue afterward. so once again serieusly thank you so much for all the work you 2 have done it shouldn't go underappreciated.

and serieusly thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart that worked on this and tried to help how they could to figure this out. its been a while since ive seen a community come together to work on a game to pull it appart.
Thank you, I'm glad that this noesis script was helpful to you guys, I'd also like to thank you all for the bug reporting and feedback. Also thanks a lot to spiritovod and KillZ for their research help to get some basic texture support quickly.
Hopefully someone can pick up the torch later, unless I broke something with version 0.5 this will probably be my last update. Time for me to actually play the game now instead of reversing it !
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

Ok I lied, version 0.6 will actually be my last heh

This new version automatically takes the rgb data to make the actual diffuse texture and the alpha channel to make the emissive one. No need for you to cycle blend anymore in the preview and the maps will be exported already processed accordingly.
The diffuse texture name will still be texName_bc.dds, the created emissive texture name will be named texName_emi.dds. That should speed up the workflow instead of having to split channels everytime, on Blender, photoshop or whatever.

EDIT : Well I pushed a bunch of additionnal texture formats and fixes, version 0.7 now loads a lot of the bctex without problem now. For the last that don't work you can use the Switch toolbox or maybe I'll poke at it more later
Jhyrachy
ultra-n00b

Post by Jhyrachy »

Hello everyone!

Does anyone managed to make some use of the .manm files?

I'm trying to pose the model for 3d printing (after applying a displacement map to increase details) and would be cool to use a game pose.

Thanks!
kees
n00b

Post by kees »

Jhyrachy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:19 am Hello everyone!

I'm trying to pose the model for 3d printing (after applying a displacement map to increase details) and would be cool to use a game pose.

Thanks!
think its better to go with posing manually cause of how the anims are made i fear they wont be ripped soon. also they meight not be exactly the poses you want. plus its good practice to not limit yourself with only premade poses. have some fun with it and see what you can do :keke:
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

Jhyrachy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:19 am Hello everyone!

Thanks!
I figured out the manm files at 99%, the problem is that the joints are referenced by name hashes, which are not present in the model file. So basically I have the keyframe data but have no clue to which joint it belongs due to this.
I'd need someone to decompile/debug the game and give me the hash function, otherwise animation support can't be added.
Jhyrachy
ultra-n00b

Post by Jhyrachy »

Joschka wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:08 am I figured out the manm files at 99%, the problem is that the joints are referenced by name hashes, which are not present in the model file. So basically I have the keyframe data but have no clue to which joint it belongs due to this.
I'd need someone to decompile/debug the game and give me the hash function, otherwise animation support can't be added.
How many joints are there?

It could be painfull, but we could map them by hand.
kees wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:17 am think its better to go with posing manually cause of how the anims are made i fear they wont be ripped soon. also they meight not be exactly the poses you want. plus its good practice to not limit yourself with only premade poses. have some fun with it and see what you can do :keke:
Ye, I know, but I can do as I made with pokémon, starting with a premade pose and then modify it
Xenphex
ultra-n00b

Post by Xenphex »

Hi, i can't get it Noesis to load the textures, i have fmt_mmdl.py and dreadMap.txt and the same folder, i did the setup for the path dumpPath = r"" where all the .MMDL and .bctex are, and tried changing cycle blend but the model still doesn't show the textures.

Any ideas on what can i try? Noesis version 4.458

Thanks in advance and thank you so much for all the work on the scrips / plugins. Greetings.
09williamsad
veteran

Post by 09williamsad »

Xenphex wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm Hi, i can't get it Noesis to load the textures, i have fmt_mmdl.py and dreadMap.txt and the same folder, i did the setup for the path dumpPath = r"" where all the .MMDL and .bctex are, and tried changing cycle blend but the model still doesn't show the textures.

Thanks in advance and thank you so much for all the work on the scrips / plugins. Greetings.
In the Noesis python script, set bTextureScanning = True
If there is still no texture then that model may not work with the scripts material/texture function.
My archive of models, audio, textures etc: <Link removed due to site policy> Google my username to find it.
Xenphex
ultra-n00b

Post by Xenphex »

09williamsad wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:00 pm
Xenphex wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm Hi, i can't get it Noesis to load the textures, i have fmt_mmdl.py and dreadMap.txt and the same folder, i did the setup for the path dumpPath = r"" where all the .MMDL and .bctex are, and tried changing cycle blend but the model still doesn't show the textures.

In the Noesis python script, set bTextureScanning = True
If there is still no texture then that model may not work with the scripts material/texture function.
I tried that but i got an error, but that was before i had all the textures in the same folder and i forgot to try again, let me try.

Yeah, tried and i keep getting the same error.
Noesis tracebak.jpg
Also, i'm trying in Blender and when i try yo apply the textures all looks wrong, i exported as .jpg and tried Flip UV too, but nothing, keep looking like it has a wrong UV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

Jhyrachy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:21 am How many joints are there?

It could be painfull, but we could map them by hand.
I don't remember but I think Samus had like 130 or so. Yeah it's possible but honestly I'm not interested in implementing hacky anim support with a whole hash to name map just for Samus, especially since I had to make an external file for materials already. Once the hash function is figured out full anim support for everything will be possible hopefully.
Xenphex wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:51 pm
Noesis tracebak.jpg
Also, i'm trying in Blender and when i try yo apply the textures all looks wrong, i exported as .jpg and tried Flip UV too, but nothing, keep looking like it has a wrong UV.
This error message means that your path is incorrect. The plugin expects the path where the romfs has been dumped, so the one with "textures" etc folders, make sure that's the case, not something like putting bctex and mmdl in arbitrary folders.
For UVs not sure, it works for a lot of people so maybe you didn't use the correct textures
Azarae
ultra-n00b

Post by Azarae »

I'm having the same issue with the textures not loading. Unsure why. Folder names have not been changed. Can you assign textures manually in Noesis?

Also tried in blender, but manually assigning textures is 100% off, with no combination working correctly. Will it be possible to get these models already set up with Blender?

I'm mostly wanting to get this working so some art can be done from a specific perspective, but without the textures it just isn't going to work.

Side note: how does one go about posing the skeleton?
rainmanbk
ultra-n00b

Post by rainmanbk »

I had a question, does anyone know what channel the _at texture fills? I can't seem to figure it out. For example the powerbody_at.dds texture. Attached is a screenshot of it.
Screenshot_3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.