Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
broccolis
ultra-n00b

Post by broccolis »

one you select you models to EXTRACT (with solidus) it'l OUTPUT the file, just OPEN the NEW file with SOLIDUS and it will CONVERT it to OBJ instantly.
I did it now,but it gives a error (same as Kenshinsx)

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Just one more offtopic shot :

Here's an image of the aquired Metal Gear 1 for MSX computers. I remember playing this game to death at a friends house. His dad bought all Konami stuff when it came out, and I was dead jealous. But man, did we have fun playing that game. And now, finally, it is in my possession! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

broccolis wrote:
one you select you models to EXTRACT (with solidus) it'l OUTPUT the file, just OPEN the NEW file with SOLIDUS and it will CONVERT it to OBJ instantly.
I did it now,but it gives a error (same as Kenshinsx)

Hmmm...
Well the models seem a bit big anyways with this size output so change the value in SOLIDUS options (FINAL tab) to 0.0005.
If THAT doesnt work then maybe change it between the two export options Sub mesh and Texture Mesh.
THAT SHOULD FIX UR PROBLEMS PEOPLE.
Just one more offtopic shot :

Here's an image of the aquired Metal Gear 1 for MSX computers. I remember playing this game to death at a friends house. His dad bought all Konami stuff when it came out, and I was dead jealous. But man, did we have fun playing that game. And now, finally, it is in my possession!
lol, I never completed number 1 lol only number 2, tho i have never played it in english as the translations were a bit off.
Yes, i am fluent in Japanese (My 2nd language)) so THATS how i played it lol
Back to Topic:
Any news from Turfster?
Is he continueing this Project, I knwo he was tihnking of working on the animations, and he always ses "The animations are the one thing that makes me hit a dead end and i beign to lose interest in it" ect...
I hope he hasnt stopped.
Id like to se more Progress on this myself.
If he HAS left, hypathetically, then any chance YOU could take a look into this game at all?
I know MOST of the relevant information for the files ect if you needed my help at all.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

I'm sure Turfster will be back. Holiday slum perhaps. :)
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Hmmm.... This looks a tad confusing (no offense Turfster cause I really love Solidus! Err.... the program not the character! =P )

But yeah, it may be a handy idea Lionheart or Turfster to add the model export instructions (and all that is related) into a help file, so that people understand what works, what doesn't work, how to do it. That would be great! Oh yeah and how to make high resolution textures.... because that doesn't seem to be working for me either.

Mr. Mouse:
Wow, cool! OMG, didn't that cost you a fortune? lol. Handy for really serious collectors I'm sure. I'm a collector too, but not in general, just of some things Metal Gear - for instance, the artbooks, soundtracks, and I have the $300 MGS3 Snake figure. Its REALLY badass. But yeah, Metal Gear 1 and 2 are included actually in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence on Playstation 2, which I highly recommend to ANY Metal Gear fan, its packed full of fun content. Hah, I still have yet to check out the original games! Awwww I bet they're cuuuuute... :P

Oh yeah and don't worry about Turfster I'm sure. Whats 3 weeks compared to three YEARS? I'm happy about all of this, he can take his time since he's blessed us with this. Hah, now Lionheart, don't go scaring him off with animation requests! I'm sure he'll look into it if he really wants to, but maybe that will be a task for someone else.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TheDyingInformant wrote: But yeah, it may be a handy idea Lionheart or Turfster to add the model export instructions (and all that is related) into a help file, so that people understand what works, what doesn't work, how to do it. That would be great! Oh yeah and how to make high resolution textures.... because that doesn't seem to be working for me either.
Ok then il ake a little HELP file for SOLIDUS, Il include it in my GUIDE this time.
I dont understand WHY so you all have this error I have never seen it before.
I'm sure Turfster will be back. Holiday slum perhaps.
Im sure your right.
Theres still a lot of work for me to do anyways, with FILE TYPES and guides fro the Program and everything.
So il be busy for awhile anyways.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Ok here is a quick guide I created on how to extract the Metal Gear Solid 2:Substance models.

1: Select the options you want.
Conversion Modes:
Concentate By Textures = Groups the models vertexs by what textures are used (Ie: Arms are count as 1 object as they use SAME textures often)

Stick to Submesh Deformations = Export the models in their IRIGINAL mesh, as in EXACT to the way that they were made( arm = 3 parts ect)

Scale Factor = How much you want to scale the model BEST to use 0.0005 or 1.0000

Single Texture Extraction = Extract the texture MAP exactly.
Subtextures = Exports the texture maps in parts (NEEDED for texturing models)

2: Select the KMY file you WISH to extract and EXTRACT IT.

3: Now you should see YOUR extracted model(SHOULD have the SAME icon as solidus), See mine GBS_hand_def on the left.

Open your EXTRACTED .KMY file with Solidus and you should get all this stuff at the bottom tellign you what action Solidus is performing, a few seconds later your model SHOULD have extracted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont think that there is really MORE to explain, if ANYONE is unsure of anything then just ask and il help.

NOTE: you CANT export WITHIN the game DVD you MUST copy the folder 1st (for some reason i bet SOMEONE isnt doing this simple thing)
NOTE: if you CANT get it to work STILL then tell me WHAT file you are ATTEMPTING to convert and send me it, Maybe its ONE file that errors up, I have converted 90% of the game and am YET to encounter ANY errors whatsoever.

Note 3: your ALL using the most UP TO DATE version Of Solidus yeah? as the 1ST version that exported MODELS only exported SIMPLE ones, NOT anything with over a certain number of POLYGONS, tho NOW the NEWEST version is unlimited and can be found HERE http://metalgear.turfster.be/
I hope Turfster doesn mind me Linking to his little space (I forgot what there called lol), if he does il have to remove this link I GUESS.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Thanks very much for that Lionheart!

Question for you though. You said you are exploring the models with 3D Studio Max right? So does that software support KMY or the OBJ files, or did you have a plug in that converts them?

I'm asking because, I'm about to reinstall Maya for trying this, and then I went back to read Turfsters' message that he has yet to make a conversion for that program. Obviously you can not answer about that program if thats not what you use, but I'm wondering how come you got it to work in 3D Studio because it isn't designed for that program - so find yourself lucky I guess! I just wonder, what program do I need for these models at this point? Do you think Maya will work? Well maybe there is a conversion plug in I can find. I'll take a look.

You also say the models are in seperate pieces, so if say, I want to view the entire Solid Snake model, does that mean I have to import all the limbs and pieces together? lol
Does anyone know what program MGS2 was made with? MGS3 was made with SoftImage but MGS2 might not have been the same case. I'm just curious. I wish I had 3D Studio if it works great for you Lionheart! Ack! Why are there so many dang 3D programs.... why can't the companies just merge together to create one all-around powerful and user friendly program?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

MGS was also created with softimage XSI.
As for th emodels in PARTS what i mean is:
say u export "Snake_def.kmy" its the FULL model of SNAKE itl just be in parts when u open it is all, itl all be arranged correctly its only in parts so thats it easier to animate and stuff.

MAYA WILL import .OBJ files,(you need to go to IMPORT tho NOT open) the same way as 3D studio max, no PLUGINS required, almost ALL 3d programs USE .OBJ as its the simplst and SMALLEST file format that is easiest to convert with out ERRORS of anysort.

Maya and 3DSMAX have converted BTW, now there ONE and the same company, ALIAS took over MAYA, now the two programs are merged to create a better Program, tho i tihnk it still has the HORRIBLE MAYA GUI (i hate that its so stupid)
Kenshinsx
ultra-n00b

Post by Kenshinsx »

Even with that guide I still get that floating point error, with 0.0005 and 1.000, with the exact same file you are using. So it does not work. And I'm giving up now, I tried everything, it simple does not do what people say it does.

-= edit =-
I used the same settings as you have, and I used the latest version of solidus too.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Kenshinsx wrote:Even with that guide I still get that floating point error, with 0.0005 and 1.000, with the exact same file you are using. So it does not work. And I'm giving up now, I tried everything, it simple does not do what people say it does.

-= edit =-
I used the same settings as you have, and I used the latest version of solidus too.
I BET your doing it on ur DVD arnt u.
COs in ur POSTED image it ses E: (a DVD/CD drive).
COPY the file FROM the DVD ONTO ur desktop.
Give me YOUR msn if this DOESNT WORK man.
btw the program DOES do what it ses.
its something YOUR doing man, its YOU NOT the Program, i have given this to at least 10 ppl and NOONE has encountered that error.
Liek i sed COPY THE FILE ONTO ur DESKTOP, cos osmetihng tells me your USING THE dvd
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

I'm also having the bug, but I have a NoDVD and I have all the data on the HDD. Not working with the folder pasted on desktop too.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote:I'm also having the bug, but I have a NoDVD and I have all the data on the HDD. Not working with the folder pasted on desktop too.
Please could you UPLOAD the file that DOESNT work.
Also are you SURE you ahve followed my tut exactly?
Only KMY files can be converted.
The REST were unsure of what they do, im slowly trying to understnad the rest of them.
As im rather confused as to WHY this problem has started to spread.
I have NEVER tried this Program on ANYTHING other then XP so if ANY of you are using OTHER operating Systems then this MAY be the CAUSE.
Kenshinsx
ultra-n00b

Post by Kenshinsx »

well, if you look at my screenshot, you will see e:\program files ;) , I don't use it from my dvd, but from the installed game itself

E:\ doesnt always have to be a dvd drive if you have more then 2 harddrives you know ;P

system OS is XP sp2, and now that I know that im not the only one with the problem, I'm more then sure that it lies with the problem itself. Floating point errors come from the program itself. Perhaps you'r using a diffirent version then the rest of us
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Kenshinsx wrote:well, if you look at my screenshot, you will see e:\program files ;) , I don't use it from my dvd, but from the installed game itself

E:\ doesnt always have to be a dvd drive if you have more then 2 harddrives you know ;P

system OS is XP sp2, and now that I know that im not the only one with the problem, I'm more then sure that it lies with the problem itself. Floating point errors come from the program itself. Perhaps you'r using a diffirent version then the rest of us
Hm...
I have the SAME version as you, judging from your screenshot anyways.
Hm...
I am unsure atm.
Can you PLEASE send me or ATTACH one of the FILES that doesnt work, be it a .KMY or another file.
Btw i thought that MAYBE you had 2 Hard drives but i just assumed it was the DVD drive.