Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Well i guess SOMEONE can use it.
XTI files I had already understood due to Looking at them with Hex EDITORS ECT.
I am not really all that interested in textures, now animations YES.
Any chance you could look into how THEY work or at LEAST what files hold the data.
Even if you CANT figure out hwo they work or anything MAYBE u can find out enuf info to post here to shpow us and WE'LL try soemthing form it, Or maybe TURFSER will do it.
I not sure where he is now, Tho i dont imagine he quit or anything, Maybe takign a break.
Who knows tho maybe he not sleep ano more from trying this game 24/7 lol.
jokes
gundammg
ultra-n00b

Post by gundammg »

I was asking if it was possible to extract the lighting because that would help me understand how the lighting is done for each particular level, eg, the tanker level outdoors, night scene or the indoor scenes etc.

The animations would be extremely helpful too! Let me know if there are any developments.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Well I am back, and excited to play around with this more. But I did find a problem with trying to create higher res textures now. Turfster, when you come back around, maybe you could answer this one for me?
Turfster wrote:
TheDyingInformant wrote: -I wish to be able to create HIGHER RES textures than what the game currently allows. this would probably have to mean larger texture maps as well. Are these editable yet?
Added this to the new build. You should now be able to use higher res textures without problems - keeping the same aspect ratio of course. Note that I'm not sure what the maximum texture size the game engine supports is, so it might be best to stick to 2048x2048 and below.

Well I'm thinking the game code is strictly written up to not allow higher res textures in. I can't seem to create higher res textures without the game crashing. I have tried to make a texture double the resolution and also triple, but the game crashes. So for instance, a 256x256 texture has to remain the same resolution.

Is there any way we can figure out where this limit lies and how to get around it? That would be great.

Animations yeah, I think animations are usually the hardest part to figure out in games. Take Sims 2 for instance. People have been able to edit almost every aspect of the game so far, but the animations have been the most difficult to figure out, there for it hasn't come a long way. I doubt MGS2 is any easier. Consider this if you are bored one day or if you really wish to figure it out.

Also Turfster, I really thank you for doing all this, but I want to make a suggestion to you now. The guys who were previously trying to modify Substance gave up on it and in addition, didn't even share their findings with anyone else. Should the unfortunate situation come about for you one of these days that you don't want to work on this anymore ( :( ) please share your findings so that someone else may continue your work. That would be great of you. :wink:

But ofcourse, there's no rush anyway. I'm just glad this is all happening. I can't wait for when we can modify and replace models, cause I'll be having a lot of fun with that. But I also wish I could create higher res textures - although I'm not much of a texture artist yet, I was definitely going to continue practicing with it for this. But for some reason it crashes!
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

TheDyingInformant wrote: Well I'm thinking the game code is strictly written up to not allow higher res textures in. I can't seem to create higher res textures without the game crashing. I have tried to make a texture double the resolution and also triple, but the game crashes. So for instance, a 256x256 texture has to remain the same resolution.
I think, the qar file is the size limited.
If the qar is bigger as ~14800KB(n_title), the game not run, on me.

Finally I find the Life bar, and the HUD text. :)

I have a tip, to the xti->dds converting.(if not 256x256, 512x512...)
Need the texture width. This dimension the Solidus read out from the xti.
Theoretically, here is the width dim.: 71h-72h (but this is not for sure)
This is the formula:
( [xti full size]-[header size] )/[width dimension by Solidus]=[height dimension]
Kenshinsx
ultra-n00b

Post by Kenshinsx »

Hey there folks, I came across this solidus program, it looks really cool, but I'm having some problems with it. Everytime I export a KMY file, and then re-open it, it gives me an "1.000 is not a valid floating point value", also, milkshape does not seem to like it when I import it via the importer, it crashes regardless with every kmy file I have extracted ( so far ). Anyone got a clue about this? Tried e-mailing the author, but havent got a reply from him.
broccolis
ultra-n00b

Post by broccolis »

Hello
Where are the weapons?And,has anyone found the harrier?
gundammg
ultra-n00b

Post by gundammg »

I just thought I would make an announcement, especially to Lionheartuk.

I found Ninja!

look in this folder: d036p03\org_tng_sh_mt.kmy

its should be what you were looking for, unless you already found it!
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

evin wrote:Finally I find the Life bar, and the HUD text. :)
Where?
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

McCuñao wrote:Where?
In the mgs2.exe/mgs2_sse.exe files.
Editing just hex editor.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Wait a minute. Are you talking about the text or the image data?
I'd like to say also that I'm having Kenshinsx's problem too, and I'd like to ask what are the .02d files for. Thanks.
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

McCuñao wrote:Wait a minute. Are you talking about the text or the image data?
I'd like to say also that I'm having Kenshinsx's problem too, and I'd like to ask what are the .02d files for. Thanks.
This HUD text is in the .EXE:
Life, Weapon, "Weapon list (Grenade, psg-1...)", Equip, Time, Time left

Overwrite the Life text (sample: Lifa), and you see in the game.

I don't no what is the Kenshinsx.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

So did you guys say the models are broken into pieces? Like, humans are broken into limbs or something? Is there any way to view a complete character? Are their textures attached, or you can load them up, onto the character?

What programs can I do this with? Will it work with Maya 5?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Offtopic: I recently aquired an original cartridge of Metal Gear: Solid Snake for my old and (t)rusty MSX2. In original box and with original manual. These things cost money, these days. Especially Metal Gear for the MSX, as it was the first version of these series Konami brought out. :D
broccolis
ultra-n00b

Post by broccolis »

Every model I try to import crashes Milkshape.What am I doing wrong?By the way,it says on Solidus site that you can convert KMY models to OBJ with Solidus.How can I do it?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote:Wait a minute. Are you talking about the text or the image data?
Sorry lol CURRENTLY we DONT know what the .02d files are for, we have our ideas tho, thinking, i DONT think its the animations tho.
Every model I try to import crashes Milkshape.What am I doing wrong?By the way,it says on Solidus site that you can convert KMY models to OBJ with Solidus.How can I do it?
one you select you models to EXTRACT (with solidus) it'l OUTPUT the file, just OPEN the NEW file with SOLIDUS and it will CONVERT it to OBJ instantly.
btw you CANT import the LEVEL models as milshape CANT take that many polygons and it screws over on you lol.
Offtopic: I recently aquired an original cartridge of Metal Gear: Solid Snake for my old and (t)rusty MSX2. In original box and with original manual. These things cost money, these days. Especially Metal Gear for the MSX, as it was the first version of these series Konami brought out.
I own the ORIGINAL two aswell, Number one IS HARD, i had to PUNCH through a wall and its bloddy IMPOSSIBLE to get out of this one room.
So did you guys say the models are broken into pieces? Like, humans are broken into limbs or something? Is there any way to view a complete character? Are their textures attached, or you can load them up, onto the character?

What programs can I do this with? Will it work with Maya 5?
Maya.. I think so, tho im NOT sure if itl work PERFECTLY (WITH textures), EXTRACT the textures as the SECOND option and itl work FINE, I use 3D Studio MAX and the MODELS import fine but the textures ONLY show when you RENDER (no idea why lol).
Yes the models from this game are split into MANY part(arm,leg,head,ect).

Also i FOUND the ninja.
NEW version of MGS2 SUBSTANCE FAQ in Progress NOW, added 20 models so far, UPDATED MOST locations, things are a bit more in depth ect.
If anyone wants to know anything else or has any OTHER questions abotut his games file then PLEASE tell me and il inclde them into the FAQ