Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Actually, I have more of a problem then I thought. I'm really stuck. :(

I have now edited and tested 3 textures in the game but they don't show up. I did everything properly (and yes ofcourse I moved the edited .qar to where it belongs). The 3rd texture I tested was the exact same one that the Solidus screenshot is of: the edited title screen. It doesn't show up when I edited it either. And here is I think why:

Because I own the game legally, the DVD. :eek:

You see, you still need to have the DVDrom in the drive in order to play the game (if you installed it that way that is). Maybe it still loads most or all files off the DVD even though you install it which takes up so much space, so I don't understand this one bit!

Turfster, and Lionheartuk, you guys downloaded the game probably for this right?

Does anyone have a tip, on how to make the game read the files off the harddrive instead of the DVD, or how to run the game without the DVD inserted? What can I do? I've never downloaded a game before, so I don't know the drill.

Just get back to me at your convenience, anybody if you have any ideas. I'd really appreciate it, thanks so much!

P.S. Ok, I checked into it, and there ARE 'no DVD' exes you can download for Substance, however, this isn't a solution for me. Atleast not to download someone ELSEs' exes, but rather, if someone could help me figure out how to edit MINE to not require the DVD. It has to be my own, because my EXEs have already been edited so that the game will recognise my ATI card and display properly much of the time, as explained HERE.

If this is not a good topic to discuss withen this thread, than PLEASE someone PM me and help me figure this out one-on-one, or I can make a new topic elsewhere in this board.[/url]
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Small question, a bit out of the big fish is currently coming up: Has anyone found the fonts textures? You know, the captions fonts.
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

TheDyingInformant wrote:Turfster, and Lionheartuk, you guys downloaded the game probably for this right?
Actually, I bought the game too.
It's true however that I patched it so I can use my DVD drive for something else and I don't have to hunt for the damn DVD every time ;)
TheDyingInformant wrote:but rather, if someone could help me figure out how to edit MINE to not require the DVD.
Replace bytes 0x4DDDE1-0x4DDDE3 (E8 2A 09) with B8 01 00.
That should do the trick.
McCuñao wrote:Small question, a bit out of the big fish is currently coming up: Has anyone found the fonts textures? You know, the captions fonts.
As with everything, there's zillions of versions of the font texture, usually in save_load.xti or photo_save.xti
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Turfster wrote: Replace bytes 0x4DDDE1-0x4DDDE3 (E8 2A 09) with B8 01 00.
That should do the trick.
Ahh i c.
Well that saves me using Daemon tools all the time.
Then agian there are also NO DVD patches for this game on the net, but if turfsters Method doesnt work for you then just use Daemon tools instead.
BTW will that Byte Replacement method Work with OTHER games that ask for the DVD? Just edit the EXE file yeah?
Because I own the game legally, the DVD.
I own the game too but I havent got it installed so I got my mate to Upload it in Parts for me, but that doesnt really make and Difference, as the game is still a complete rip of MY DVD and because of this it has the Original EXE file,thus still asking me for the DVDROM, which of course I dont have until my friend BOTHERS to play and complete the game.
But alas I fixed this.
The DVD files are read form ur HD but the game still wants to read the EXE file from the DVD itself to authenticate that its an official version, thats often why Copyed games still have this error even if u still insert the Copied DVD.
Last edited by lionheartuk on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain
Site Admin

Post by Captain »

It is assumed everyone here owns a legal copy of any game they discuss. Discussing warez is against the rules and can be bannable on this forum. Please stop doing it.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Turfster wrote:
McCuñao wrote:Small question, a bit out of the big fish is currently coming up: Has anyone found the fonts textures? You know, the captions fonts.
As with everything, there's zillions of versions of the font texture, usually in save_load.xti or photo_save.xti
I think that the save/load/dogtag screen fonts are different from the caption fonts. Caption fonts are thicker.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Captain wrote:It is assumed everyone here owns a legal copy of any game they discuss. Discussing warez is against the rules and can be bannable on this forum. Please stop doing it.
Aye-aye Captain, no worries here! Heh. A simple misunderstanding I'm sure, lionheart owns the game but his friend who borrowed it is on vacation and he can't get the disc back from him at the moment, THAT is why he downloaded it in the meantime. Everyone here owns the game. We are not discussing piracy or how to do it, certainly not. I just needed to know if my problem can be solved by making the game completely depend on the harddrive to run. Ya savvy? XD :wink:

I didn't know even mentioning it was wrong, my apologies, won't happen again.

Lionheart: Well I'm thinking it still loads alot of files right off the DVD. That, or I can't figure out why my edited textures won't show up! I used Turfsters' same exact example and the title screen never changed. I may very well have to go over this with you in MSN messenger, maybe you can help me figure it out, if this No_DVD edit doesn't help.

Turfster: Thanks so much! I'll give it a try. I hope hex editing is easy enough, lol. I'll look for those numbers.

Thanks again for everything!
Captain
Site Admin

Post by Captain »

TheDyingInformant wrote: Aye-aye Captain, no worries here! Heh. A simple misunderstanding I'm sure, lionheart owns the game but his friend who borrowed it is on vacation and he can't get the disc back from him at the moment, THAT is why he downloaded it in the meantime. Everyone here owns the game. We are not discussing piracy or how to do it, certainly not. I just needed to know if my problem can be solved by making the game completely depend on the harddrive to run. Ya savvy? XD :wink:
Of course everyone owns the game. That's all I'm saying. We had to invent that rule because this forum is public and some 'other' people may read this thread and misinterpret the things some people say. As fine and upstanding world citizens who love freedom, it is our collective duty to write words that enforce our cause: to conform, to obey the law, to respect our superiors, and to not talk about warez. We do this for the children.

EDIT: updated the rules thread. I could've sworn it was in there.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Damn sure it was in there. It should be in there, why wasn't it in there? We've banned people before who discussed wherez, and you know how it's like.... once you've killed one, it's easy to make it five.
Captain
Site Admin

Post by Captain »

Mr.Mouse wrote:Damn sure it was in there. It should be in there, why wasn't it in there? We've banned people before who discussed wherez, and you know how it's like.... once you've killed one, it's easy to make it five.
Dude you don't even know. I witnessed the aftermath of the massacre of '01. It... it changed me. That IP list will haunt my dreams forever.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

No! Do not remind me of Bloody Friday! I can still hear them scream at night! They...haunt this cyberspace for far too long now...They log in as "guests", you see, but not the sort you would welcome into your house! M-m-make it stop!
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Dont worry il clear this up lol

Post by lionheartuk »

Captain wrote:
TheDyingInformant wrote: Of course everyone owns the game. That's all I'm saying. We had to invent that rule because this forum is public and some 'other' people may read this thread and misinterpret the things some people say.
Yes its True lol, I lent the game ot my Friend while I was at college, now we Broken up for 3 months I only cared that he had it when I found this topic, Its MY version im downloading, HE is sending ME MY files off MY DVD.
The game was purchased by me And its just that I dont currently have the MONEY to meet my Friend and get back the DVD, also he still has only goten as far at the End of the Tanker (yes he works a lot so doesnt play it)
I am sorryt hat I didnt make it more Pbvious before, I have written it in this forum about 4 or 5 times now, but If someone only read THAT post they may think otherwise.
Well just to clear things up, and also because I dont wanna Grind against any Forum Rules ect I am here ot say I DO OWN THIS GAME, BUT ITS ON LEND AT THE MOMENT, BUT ITS MY VERSION IM STILL USING
So because it my version its Not Piracy or anytihng of that sort
Right?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

I tihnk i have an idea

Post by lionheartuk »

I think I have an idea to do with the SCN files.
They ARE files made with Softimage XSI, same as all of Metal Gear Solid 3 Models and also the Twin Snakes.

Remember when I said before that I could only open 2% of the files before XSI gave me some Crazy error saying the file wasnt really there and I had to Restart the Program.
I think I MIGHT know why this is("Might"), The XSI i DOWNLODED from the XSI site is XSI MOD-TOOL, Made for MODDING half life mainly, its free, thus it can only export to certain Formats and is limited in a large number of ways.
So wot im doing NOW is im registering on the XSI site to Download a 30 day TRIAL of XSI foundation,New XSI, (the only limit being the 30 days, other then that its the same i think), And il try and open the Scene Files with that instead, maybe I wont get the error.
But i cant promise this will work, but if it does im still not even sure what would be in the Scn files anyways, Of course itd read OUTSIDE info im guessing, like stuff that will NEED to be exracted from the DAR AND QAR files, maybe I will FINALLY be able to figure out the following files.
If anyone else knows what they do then please say.

Code: Select all

- .rpt
- .o2d
- .var
- .cvy
- .mar
- GCX (no idea whatsoever, I can make rough guesses at the rest)
I have looked at these with HEX WORKSHOP but there all very small files and contain VERY little info so im unable ot come to a conclusion as to what they do.
Anyone else know.
In the mean time il work on the scn files.
Any news on anything else, Models maybe?
Turfster
veteran

Re: I tihnk i have an idea

Post by Turfster »

New version 1.5 up on the site.
New features :
- Subtexture extraction mode for XTI texture folders (needed for the models)
- static KMY model conversion (inc normals & textures, should work for -almost- all KMY files)
The only exporter I've implemented at the moment is a standard Wavefront OBJ one, but I'll add the classic binary format exporters soon (at least 3DS, when I have some time). Until then, I would advise against trying to open the *very* large OBJ files (usually leveldata), unless you have a few hours to spare while your 3D program loads them (if it can at all, since they're too big for milkshape for example).

To get the textures you need for the models, don't forget run all the XTI files in the same directory through Solidus in subtexture extraction mode (should create lots of tga files with 8 digit hex names) and keep the models together with the created TGA files.
Last edited by Turfster on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Ohhhhhh

Post by lionheartuk »

OMG!
wow!
its taking me a long time to download the files as its 378 meg.
Yeah i know thats pretty big for a direct Download.
Thank god I have a file thingy on my friends mac.
She is now ownloading it for me.
I believe its called FILE MANAGER or something like that.
But then again her Mac is Japanese as is ALL the software and everything, that only a rough translation.
But once its downloaded itl be ok to check the SCN files.
Any chance of loading Characters with these?
THe textures are loaded Automatically, this means you must have found the file containing the Texture mapping, I NEED ot find the Mapping for Snake lol.
Any idea wat file that might be?
Also She couldnt get ANYTHING to happen other then a blank screen with acurser after ur method to fix the EXE file os that it odnt need the DVD anymore.
Maybe its because u might have different EXE versions.