Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

OMG!
Thanks dude.
I have wanted these Textures for ages.
I already have most of the MGS1 textures.
So the MGS2 textures are a welcome addition to my texture collection lol.
But yeah if u can work on ANY of the 3D Models ten id be most pleased.
I wonder if the levels could be extracted.
Is that possible or not because of the way that character models and lights ect are placed on to the level?
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

I've started on the 3D models, but the're rather non-standard, so I need to stare at them some more before they make sense. Also, I just got hit with a major deadline at work again, so I think it'll be a while before I can do any real work on it.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Turfster wrote:I've started on the 3D models, but the're rather non-standard, so I need to stare at them some more before they make sense. Also, I just got hit with a major deadline at work again, so I think it'll be a while before I can do any real work on it.
OMG thats great dude.
I'd like to help if you'd be able to give a few pointers, I'll see what I can do.
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

Right, new version up.
Basically, you should now be able to replace any and all textures with whatever you choose to do with it.

I've included a short "how-to" on the manual page that explains how I did this :
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Turfster wrote:Right, new version up.
Basically, you should now be able to replace any and all textures with whatever you choose to do with it.
I've included a short "how-to" on the manual page that explains how I did this :
Ahh man thankyou soo much.
Thankyou
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

lionheartuk wrote: ARE YOU DOING ALL THIS WITH A HEX EDITOR OR ARE YOU USING SOME OTHER FORM OF SOFTWARE, IF SO CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME AS IFF POSSIBLE ID LIKE TO TRY AND HELP THIS ALONG.
Thankyou
Hex-viewer all the way.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Wow.
Thats damn Impressive.
I have no idea how to use the Hex Viewers, But I'm studying them at the moment.
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Any News?

Post by lionheartuk »

accidental post...
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

IM baaaack lol

Post by lionheartuk »

I recently lent my game to a friend, so I don't have the game files right now.
Would it be possible for someone send me the file containing the textures?
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

OMG!!!!

This topic is back from the dead, and it wasn't ME giving it CPR and not knowing when to give up?! :eek: :mrgreen: !!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! AHHH, this means so much to me, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, for finally taking a look! MAN! I felt like the only fan on the planet really interested in this and here we go! :D

Turfster, are you taken? WILL YOU MARRY ME? Thats how much I love you right now! Lol.... No no, Snake comes first. :roll: :wink:

Ok but seriously.... Much appreciated, any and all the time you put into this and will put in (at your lesure). I have been suffering from some form of depression, especially lately, and I can't tell you how much this has improved my mood now, so glad to see this! I will tell more fans about this too and your work won't be in vein, I PROMISE!

Thank you also lionheart for reviving it!!! But please be careful to not act too desperate and scare him off :wink: Your heart is in the right place, I know.

Its really LATE here now, I can't wait to try this tomorrow! And if the MODELS do become accessible/viewable/usable or replacable, I will be OVER THE FREAKIN MOON. :)
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

S'ok

Post by lionheartuk »

S'ok.
I thought you'd given up.
Anyone know a good hex editor?
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Nah I would NEVER give up on my beloved MGS! The PC version especially, I never gave up on it really, but when you search and search for answers on and off for years, and theres no hope in sight, instead of give up, you just let it come to rest until someone informs you of news. I did all I could do, and nothing happened, so I'm really glad for the update!!

Imagine if one day, I could invent my own Snake Tales missions, and

1)Create my own text for the story part
2) Determine what events happen and when
3) replace character models around so you can play as Olga or sneak up on Snake

Etc!

Well that day might be a long time away, but it feels a little closer now! Accessing textures, imagine! and models! Is that even gonna be possible? By the way, if it helps, I think this game was made using 3D Studio Max, so if anyone has that program,they may be able to view the models.

Character textures, YES, I HAVE seen what folder they are in sometime ago, I remember seeing in a text file stuff like Otacon_glasses.bmp, Raiden and Snake textures of some sort, but could never see the ACTUAL texture files in there. Today.... things are looking up. Oh thank you!

Now lets not bother the good man any more until he has news for us =)
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TheDyingInformant wrote: Well that day might be a long time away, but it feels a little closer now! Accessing textures, imagine! and models! Is that even gonna be possible? By the way, if it helps, I think this game was made using 3D Studio Max, so if anyone has that program,they may be able to view the models.
Now lets not bother the good man any more until he has news for us =)
3D Studio Max eh.
Well I got that.
I'm pretty sure the games files are encoded in a custom file format, as After all the trouble they put into making complicated formats for everything else, even the title screen, it would be silly to make the 3D MODELS, the most important thing, in a format that is EASILY accessible, tbh max saves models as large files, up2 1 gig per model by my experience with it, so it'd have to be compressed or something like that.
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Ok some news here. I have been having some trouble with this program, and I thought it was because I was testing the files straight off the DVD (still, it EXTRACTS them anyway), but now that the game is full installed again, and the same thing is happening, I'm wondering whats going on.

Why does it seem like the textures are smaller and lower quality than they are in the game? Is there some explanation? Is 'Solidus' not extracting them properly? Ofcourse its a work in a progress, I'm happy to even get to toy around with something! Is there maybe a difference between how .TGA and .DSS files extract?

I have tested with .TGA and I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about:

Here is the extracted file (converted to JPG for showing you), of the background images of the MISSIONS.

http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ns20qu.jpg

Don't they seem really small? And thats not all. Here is a comparison pic I have for you, of how the image looks in game, compared to approximately how the texture looks, if the game stretches and enlarges it as needed.

http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... son1ow.jpg

Notice how the Snake on the right is worse quality? And thats not the real size, I stretched and enlarged it as best I could to show the comparison.

So I'm not sure whats going on. Any reason why this could be happening? I don't know if this is normal, or quite right, but if you want to take a look, this particular file can be found in:

cdrom.img/stage/mselect/cache.qar/missions2.xti

No rush ofcourse, but I look foward to when you can find out why this is happening. Thanks again for your time and work!
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

I tihnk i know lol

Post by lionheartuk »

It seems to me that the textures on the LEFT are the ones you see UP CLOSE, thus the Quality is much higher, but this means it uses up MORE memory.
The ones on the RIGHT however seem to be LOWER QUALITY textures, this could be because (this theory makes the most sense) using LOADSA of HIGH QUALITY textures on far away enemies and building is really a waste of memory, you cant see anything in detail so the things you wouldn't see are omitted, and also the lower quality textures use up less memory, so this means that you can see more without slowing anything down framerate wise.
I'm not sure if the PS2 version was done using this approach but I'm pretty confident that this is the reason behind why there are duplicates of every file.
Last edited by lionheartuk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.