Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Halo 5: Forge Models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Zelorous
ultra-n00b

Re: Halo 5: Forge Models

Post by Zelorous »

RosaWeyland wrote:
Zelorous wrote:I have read the thread multiple times... I still don't understand how to get the models and textures converted into a format that blender can read... I don't have any other 3d software... I also don't know how to code... That's why I need help understanding it... I've never converted anything other than sfm models... But thank you for replying :)
Use the scripts. Like I said - the answers are all there. You'll need a copy of 3DS Max.
Thank you for suggesting that, I was hoping I didn't have to install 3ds max, because I knew thats what the others were using... I will just wait for someone to release the models and texture files... Thank you for the help though, I always appreciate it :)
"I didn't choose the editor's life, the editor's life chose me"
The501stJournal
ultra-n00b

Post by The501stJournal »

Hey rosa did someone touch a nerve? If you had the spine you would see that your being a immature faggotron about you having tools to export textures and how you play victim and act as if you did nothing wrong when someone asks for them when in reality you were being a dickhead. Acting like your better then everybody makes you look like more of a piece of shit then you already. STOP being a dick and actually be a community member along with getting off your high horse, 'Or one of these days someones gonna release them and your gonna be a nobody.'

Pull your head out of your ass.
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

The501stJournal wrote:STOP being a dick and actually be a community member along with getting off your high horse
I did. As I said, all of the tools are available in the thread, or accessible via a quick Google search. If somebody can't be bothered to do five minutes of reading in their own time to find them, then I can't be bothered to help. If it were a case of 'hey, these tools aren't working as expected, what am I doing wrong?' then sure, I'm happy to help, but if it's a case of 'I can't be bothered to read two or three pages back to find the tools I need' then sorry, you're looking at the wrong person.
'Or one of these days someones gonna release them and your gonna be a nobody.'
Glossing completely over the fact that anybody with half a brain and some time on their hands can pull these assets for themselves, sure. Only difference here is that I'm the only person who's been willing to compile asset packs for people to download and use without having to go through the hassle of getting the tools working in the first place - literally anybody else can do what I've done. Of course, nobody has, because nobody can be bothered to.
savinpvtmike
n00b

Post by savinpvtmike »

hey is there a updated script for the mesh importer?
Zelorous
ultra-n00b

Post by Zelorous »

Not everything... There's no explanation of the .material file and how to make it a bit map file... No help as to how the hell the armors and visors are labeled... And there's is'nt any help as to how the textures are labelled so weirdly... And the armor files for the "Global.rtx" don't seem to have all of the armors and helmets... And some of the ones it does have (toward the bottom of the list) are corrupted it seems. And yes, I have done my research and spent more than five minutes and have more than half a brain... So yeah
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

Zelorous wrote:Not everything... There's no explanation of the .material file and how to make it a bit map file...
Open up, here comes the airplane, zoom zoom, time to spoonfeed.

1. Grab this file.
2. Use the easy-peasy lemon-squeezy instructions bundled with said file to obtain working textures.
3. Use the Intel Texture Works plugin for Photoshop to convert the files from .dds into a usable format
4. Free space. Go nuts.
5. Enjoy having the ability to extract your own textures.
No help as to how the hell the armors and visors are labeled...
Probably because most people are focused more on the far easier process of extracting the armour files from Halo Waypoint over the actual game files. The high-quality Waypoint files are equal to their game counterparts, and since I'm currently unaware of any rigging support for models, save yourself some trouble and grab the files from Waypoint.
And there's is'nt any help as to how the textures are labelled so weirdly
That's an issue with every Halo title ever - files use internal development tags for referencing. It's generally pretty easy to figure out what a texture is by the tag, and if not, a quick extract and look will generally tell you.
And the armor files for the "Global.rtx" don't seem to have all of the armors and helmets...
Probably because others are kept within patch files.
And some of the ones it does have (toward the bottom of the list) are corrupted it seems.
This is why we use the Waypoint files.
And yes, I have done my research and spent more than five minutes and have more than half a brain... So yeah
First point, maybe. Second point, debatable. Either way, this stuff should all be pretty common sense and easy to figure out if you'd actually done some reading, it's all pretty well-documented over on Facepunch, and if you ask nicely I might just do a write-up for you here.
Zelorous
ultra-n00b

Post by Zelorous »

RosaWeyland wrote:
Zelorous wrote:Not everything... There's no explanation of the .material file and how to make it a bit map file...
Open up, here comes the airplane, zoom zoom, time to spoonfeed.

1. Grab this file.
2. Use the easy-peasy lemon-squeezy instructions bundled with said file to obtain working textures.
3. Use the Intel Texture Works plugin for Photoshop to convert the files from .dds into a usable format
4. Free space. Go nuts.
5. Enjoy having the ability to extract your own textures.
No help as to how the hell the armors and visors are labeled...
Probably because most people are focused more on the far easier process of extracting the armour files from Halo Waypoint over the actual game files. The high-quality Waypoint files are equal to their game counterparts, and since I'm currently unaware of any rigging support for models, save yourself some trouble and grab the files from Waypoint.
And there's is'nt any help as to how the textures are labelled so weirdly
That's an issue with every Halo title ever - files use internal development tags for referencing. It's generally pretty easy to figure out what a texture is by the tag, and if not, a quick extract and look will generally tell you.
And the armor files for the "Global.rtx" don't seem to have all of the armors and helmets...
Probably because others are kept within patch files.
And some of the ones it does have (toward the bottom of the list) are corrupted it seems.
This is why we use the Waypoint files.
And yes, I have done my research and spent more than five minutes and have more than half a brain... So yeah
First point, maybe. Second point, debatable. Either way, this stuff should all be pretty common sense and easy to figure out if you'd actually done some reading, it's all pretty well-documented over on Facepunch, and if you ask nicely I might just do a write-up for you here.[/quote

Wow... you legit stated stuff I already know... I'm like 20 steps ahead of you, yet 2 steps behind at the same freaking time... My problem isn't the dang bitmap conversion, its the extraction of the (pc) module file... (you only uploaded the [any] files and not the [pc] files so basically there is no way to get the textures from those files, because I asked Soul_ and he said there wasn't any way to change the .material into a .bitmap)... You also removed the link to the raw texture data... And the "simple" extraction tool doesn't even open the global files to be read... Also cut the sarcasm, its not like I'm some god of technology that should know how to do everything... SO before you go and assume that I haven't done anything, I've been working at this since I asked you about the render_mesh issues I was having... So if your going to do nothing constructive in my situation, then please stop messaging me with all the sarcasm... I'm not whoever it was that pissed you off and made you quit porting so stop treating me that way
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

Zelorous wrote:-SNIP!-
Soul_ is right - you're doing it wrong. Which is the hilarious thing - all of the tools are self-explanatory, and the documentation is out there if you'd do more than five minutes of Googling. It's getting embarrassing at this point, however, SO. I'm figuring that you just haven't decrypted your files.

To prep the game files for extraction:
1. If your H5F files aren't accessible via Admin privileges, set that up. I won't bother walking you through that.
2. Download the UWP Dumper tool to decrypt and dump the game files into a new folder. Documentation is included in the tool, I won't bother walking you through that.
3. Once you've done that, use the latest version of Module Extractor to extract the files out of your desired module file
- (any)globals-rtx-1 contains models
- globals-rtx-1 contains textures
- mainmenu-rtx-1 contains the main menu files
4. Drag/drop your desired module file onto the Module Extractor tool. It will automatically unpack the module file for you and spit out a new folder containing the unpacked files.
5. The content will be contained within the _chore folder (for example globals-rtx-1 > _chore > pc_ > objects)
6. Enjoy.

From there:

For bitmaps:
1. Download the aforementioned bitmap tool
2. Locate the file you'd like to convert
3. Each texture will have a BITMAP file, a generic file, and a number of CHUNK files. Drag/drop the BITMAP file onto the bitmap tool and it will dump out a DDS file for you.
4. Import the dumped DDS file into the latest version of Photoshop. Make sure you have the Intel Texture Works plugin installed as well.
5. Enjoy.

For models:
1. Ensure you have a relatively up-to-date copy of 3DS MAX.
2. Download the latest version of render_mesh from this thread (v5.5 is the latest version).
3. Drag/drop the render_mesh tool into 3DS Max to open it.
4. From there, locate the model folder you'd like to open.
- Model folders contain several files - you're going to be looking for the RENDER_MODEL file
5. Once you've found that, open it.
6. Enjoy.

Bear in mind that some models, and some textures, do not work. If they don't work, you're shit out of luck, cry some more. If you still can't get files out after this comprehensive walk-through, I invite you to try something novel and inventive, such as flushing your head down a toilet.
Zelorous
ultra-n00b

Post by Zelorous »

RosaWeyland wrote:
Zelorous wrote:-SNIP!-
Soul_ is right - you're doing it wrong. Which is the hilarious thing - all of the tools are self-explanatory, and the documentation is out there if you'd do more than five minutes of Googling. It's getting embarrassing at this point, however, SO. I'm figuring that you just haven't decrypted your files.

To prep the game files for extraction:
1. If your H5F files aren't accessible via Admin privileges, set that up. I won't bother walking you through that.
2. Download the UWP Dumper tool to decrypt and dump the game files into a new folder. Documentation is included in the tool, I won't bother walking you through that.
3. Once you've done that, use the latest version of Module Extractor to extract the files out of your desired module file
- (any)globals-rtx-1 contains models
- globals-rtx-1 contains textures
- mainmenu-rtx-1 contains the main menu files
4. Drag/drop your desired module file onto the Module Extractor tool. It will automatically unpack the module file for you and spit out a new folder containing the unpacked files.
5. The content will be contained within the _chore folder (for example globals-rtx-1 > _chore > pc_ > objects)
6. Enjoy.

From there:

For bitmaps:
1. Download the aforementioned bitmap tool
2. Locate the file you'd like to convert
3. Each texture will have a BITMAP file, a generic file, and a number of CHUNK files. Drag/drop the BITMAP file onto the bitmap tool and it will dump out a DDS file for you.
4. Import the dumped DDS file into the latest version of Photoshop. Make sure you have the Intel Texture Works plugin installed as well.
5. Enjoy.

For models:
1. Ensure you have a relatively up-to-date copy of 3DS MAX.
2. Download the latest version of render_mesh from this thread (v5.5 is the latest version).
3. Drag/drop the render_mesh tool into 3DS Max to open it.
4. From there, locate the model folder you'd like to open.
- Model folders contain several files - you're going to be looking for the RENDER_MODEL file
5. Once you've found that, open it.
6. Enjoy.

Bear in mind that some models, and some textures, do not work. If they don't work, you're shit out of luck, cry some more. If you still can't get files out after this comprehensive walk-through, I invite you to try something novel and inventive, such as flushing your head down a toilet.

I'm am about to sound most likely the dumbest I ever have... but what is the process id for the tool... I fear that since I moved the deploy file to my desktop, then accidentally moved the module file out the deploy folder onto my desktop, that I royaly screwed myself

Edit: I think I know now, which means that I have to redownload halo 5 forge again in order to get the files back to there original destination
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

Zelorous wrote:I'm am about to sound most likely the dumbest I ever have... but what is the process id for the tool... I fear that since I moved the deploy file to my desktop, then accidentally moved the module file out the deploy folder onto my desktop, that I royaly screwed myself
Just delete everything you've already done to the game. Refresh everything, download a fresh installation, start from scratch. Follow my instructions and you should be fine.
Zelorous
ultra-n00b

Post by Zelorous »

RosaWeyland wrote:
Zelorous wrote:I'm am about to sound most likely the dumbest I ever have... but what is the process id for the tool... I fear that since I moved the deploy file to my desktop, then accidentally moved the module file out the deploy folder onto my desktop, that I royaly screwed myself
Just delete everything you've already done to the game. Refresh everything, download a fresh installation, start from scratch. Follow my instructions and you should be fine.

Thanks again Rosa... Now I can occupy my stupidity and obliviousness for a few weeks
urium86
ultra-n00b

Post by urium86 »

Hi take a look for this video
https://youtu.be/JD3gIXwYBcg
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

Separate script for static models (\.\levels\forge\assets, etc). I have some problem with define offset of scale coefficients.
But you can set this value manualy.

Instruction:
1. Open *.render model with any hex editor.
2. Find at the end of the file a block similar to img1. It often starts with values 0xBCBC. On img1 offset of this block is 0x160b

-- dead picture duplicated on the next page --

3. Write this offset to first string of script (scale_offset = 0xXXXX)
4. Use script.
5. Enjoy!

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by erik945 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cmpxchg8b
ultra-n00b

Post by cmpxchg8b »

Heya all.

I've extracted some models from H5F and imported them into 3DS using the render_mesh script. Everything looks great, except the models are too big.

I could fix this quite easily by just scaling everything down to the canon heights, but that would be somewhat imprecise (in so far that the models might not actually be that size in-game).

Is there any way to determine the precise scaling factor required to reduce the models down into real world units? The only thing I've noticed is that each model appears to contain some sort of "marker box" between the feet, and that this somehow has to do with scaling (since it's basically a perfect cube when the model is scaled correctly). Should this box measure a specific size? For example, 1ft^3 (since H5F uses feet for units)? It seems like this brings most Spartans down to within +/- 10% of their canon-specified heights, but it's not exact (for example, if the box measured exactly 1ft^3, then Locke would be about 7.375 feet tall, when canon says he's only 6.83 feet fall).

Cheers,
-CMPX
frostedtalents
ultra-n00b

Post by frostedtalents »

What software do I use to import and play with the models?