Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Halo 5: Forge Models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Alexis
beginner

Re: Halo 5: Forge Models

Post by Alexis »

RosaWeyland wrote:
Alexis wrote:According to my math, assuming the box at the bottom is supposed to be a perfect cube, it should be 75.368331922% on the Y-Axis and 25.208156329 on the X-Axis.

So, you're not too far off. (Unless my math is off!)
I think it might be. I used your values on the Helljumper helmet when compared against the Halo Waypoint model rip, and there's a large amount of compression along the Y axis, as well as a difference in the X axis. I used the Z scale (height) to compare and contrast.

What I've ended up doing is exporting the model from Max with that weird cube on the bottom, and then scaling it against a spawned cube mesh in Blender. It's not ideal, but until bounding box data is implemented I can make do with manual scaling. I'd show my maths but... I'm going to be the first one to admit that working out ratios and whatnot is not my area of expertise. Basic maths I can do, anything more is a whole bunch of 'nope'. I can post my numbers tomorrow and let you guys work it out if you like?
Maybe it's a difference between Blender and Max scaling, or maybe some biped's scaling is different? With my numbers, the box becomes a mathematically perfect cube on the models I've tested. I also tested against my own Waypoint rips and they seem to be exact so far... I'll look into what could be causing the discrepancy tonight.
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

Fixed.
Alexis - UV has coding like vertex. I use the preliminary scale values. You may need correct its manually.
I think that these values ​​must be a multiple of 1 (1,2,3 ... etc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

Alexis wrote:Maybe it's a difference between Blender and Max scaling, or maybe some biped's scaling is different? With my numbers, the box becomes a mathematically perfect cube on the models I've tested. I also tested against my own Waypoint rips and they seem to be exact so far... I'll look into what could be causing the discrepancy tonight.
I scaled in Max and then exported to Blender, and the file was still squashed. So I've fixed manually in Blender by eye, since it's easier for me to do that than screw around in a program I can't use.
Alexis
beginner

Post by Alexis »

RosaWeyland wrote:
Alexis wrote:Maybe it's a difference between Blender and Max scaling, or maybe some biped's scaling is different? With my numbers, the box becomes a mathematically perfect cube on the models I've tested. I also tested against my own Waypoint rips and they seem to be exact so far... I'll look into what could be causing the discrepancy tonight.
I scaled in Max and then exported to Blender, and the file was still squashed. So I've fixed manually in Blender by eye, since it's easier for me to do that than screw around in a program I can't use.

I just checked some other models, and it seems that the scaling is different even between bipeds. What I have done is create a perfect cube with all sides equal to the Z of the model's frame box for reference. Link the main model's pieces to it's own frame box - snap the scale of the frame box to the verts of the perfect cube I created. This scales the model perfectly every time.

You could also get the dimensions of the Z axis of the frame box, and figure out the exact percentage at which each axis is scaled.

It's ranged from 25-30% on one axis, and 75-80% on the other.
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

Script update:
Now you need select *.render_model (don't *.render_model[0_mesh resource!_])
Fix model scale
Fix UV scale and position.

Thank Alexis for hint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

erik945 wrote:Script update:
Fix model scale

Thank Alexis for hint.
Great work as always, but the tool doesn't seem to work on the multiplayer Spartan files. The old method was able to pull the resources from the mesh resource files well enough, but this tool doesn't seem to be able to do that.
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

what filename?
Alexis
beginner

Post by Alexis »

erik945 wrote:Script update:
Fix model scale

Thank Alexis for hint.

Ah, so my theory was correct! So, the scale seems to be perfect. The only issue I am seeing besides Rosaweyland's is that the Character model UVs seem to be offset a bit to the left, but are scaled properly. I can provide you some models as an example of what I mean if you'd like.

Also, if you are looking for any of the skin weights... I believe they should also be in the ".render_model"
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

Yes, upload examples. I'll see.
Regarding skin probably better to turn to zaramot
He wrote that had already done so.
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

erik945 wrote:Yes, upload examples. I'll see.
They're the multiplayer armour/body files found in objects > characters > storm_masterchief. The render_model file is roughly 7Mb and the mesh resources are the smaller ones.
Alexis
beginner

Post by Alexis »

erik945 wrote:Yes, upload examples. I'll see.
Regarding skin probably better to turn to zaramot
He wrote that had already done so.
I've sent you a PM regarding this!
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

Small update. May be fix UV offset.
Test it please.
Alexis
beginner

Post by Alexis »

erik945 wrote:Small update. May be fix UV offset.
Test it please.
Just tested it on a few models. This seems to have definitely corrected the UV offset! I'll continue digging for any that may still be offset.

Now the only remaining issue I can find is the script still can't open "objects/characters/storm_masterchief/storm_masterchief.render_model". It looks like your script doesn't anticipate multiple resource chunks for a model. This causes the script to end abruptly without an error message.

Great work, nonetheless! Keep it up!
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

New update.
Added support storm_masterchief

:wink:
Alexis
beginner

Post by Alexis »

erik945 wrote:New update.
Added support storm_masterchief

:wink:

Very nice!

This seems to do the trick. Is the script written in such a way that when they add new armors, they should also load correctly, or will the script need to be updated?

As always - Keep up the good work!