Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Halo 5: Forge Models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
RosaWeyland
beginner

Re: Halo 5: Forge Models

Post by RosaWeyland »

zaramot wrote:I never played Halo games, have no idea how those models looks. Do you have extracted files from Halo 5: Forge, right? Since, I don't have any files with such names lol
Sure. I posted all of the model files HERE a few days ago. The Hydra launcher would be under:

(any)globals-rtx-1\objects\weapons\rifle\mlrs

As for the multiplayer armours, they're all in:

(any)globals-rtx-1\objects\characters\storm_masterchief

I'm not sure of which file the Marauder armour would be under, but certainly I know where the Hydra is. Up until now I've assumed that the model/mesh files are under the mesh_resource! file type. And, I'm not asking this of you as a request to rip me stuff specifically, it's more that I want to make sure that these types of files can be pulled properly.
Last edited by RosaWeyland on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

deleted
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

Yes, models are mesh_resource! and I can import them all, I will check them more detailed though. Also, I understand, that you don't need just models from me :) You want to understand format like I do, maybe even better.
Making model-import scripts, PM
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

I'm usually looking for round elements, and align the scale on them.
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

zaramot wrote:Yes, models are mesh_resource! and I can import them all, I will check them more detailed though. Also, I understand, that you don't need just models from me :) You want to understand format like I do, maybe even better.
Pretty much that. If I can help, I will. As Erik said, usually I scale manually from a circle, but if we can crack the bounding box then we can do so much more.

I look forward to seeing the Hydra at the least!
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

zaramot then maybe you temporarily upload your tool as it is?
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

erik945 wrote:zaramot then maybe you temporarily upload your tool as it is?
I'd prefer to get a finished tool than something that's in beta. Be patient and let Zaramot work on it at his own pace, maybe offer help and solutions instead of just demanding results.

I'm thinking that my tool has issues with reading some LoD information, given that the Hydra won't give me a HD pull. I also can't seem to access a few other files, such as the Halo 2 Beam Rifle and all of the Multiplayer mesh_resource! files, so it's obviously not a simple matter of simply reading vertex/face/UV data and then pulling it out (which is what my tool does). I'll compile a list of all the files I'm having problems with and throw it out there while my contact works on the bounding box issue - I'm not terribly worried about UV and rig data for now, I'd prefer to get the files pulling cleanly before we work on making them look good and move good.
erik945
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by erik945 »

What techniques and tools do you use to analyze hex data?
SpookyMajora
beginner

Post by SpookyMajora »

zaramot wrote:
erik945 wrote:Wow, good job.
Can you show where is scale's value?
Unfortunately, I have no idea where it is (I'm using manual scale values, fine for characters I tried though). It appears it's not in the mesh file, neither in skeleton file too. Again, unfortunatelly each Halo 5 model has a lot of extra files near it, so this could take time to locate scaling values/bounding box. + it's using Havok, so maybe it's something Havok related. If someone knows where it is, share the info, this is the only issue, which preventing me to post model-import script xD
Did you try checking the .Physics_Model or .Collision_Model file for that information?
dibe91
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by dibe91 »

I do not know if this is the place to ask, but I'd be interested in a Halo 2 anniversaly model that would be this:Image

I just wondered if it was possible using the Halo 5 instruments. unfortunately I do not know how to get the game where there is the model in question :/
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

dibe91 wrote:I do not know if this is the place to ask, but I'd be interested in a Halo 2 anniversaly model that would be this:

I just wondered if it was possible using the Halo 5 instruments. unfortunately I do not know how to get the game where there is the model in question :/
Doubtful. We don't have the raw files for H2A (I believe), much less any way to get anything meaningful from them.

Going to check the collision and physics models when I get back, I have a strong feeling that the collision box will have the bounding box data in it.
Alexis
beginner

Post by Alexis »

RosaWeyland wrote:
dibe91 wrote:I do not know if this is the place to ask, but I'd be interested in a Halo 2 anniversaly model that would be this:

Doubtful. We don't have the raw files for H2A (I believe), much less any way to get anything meaningful from them.

Going to check the collision and physics models when I get back, I have a strong feeling that the collision box will have the bounding box data in it.
If it's similar to previous Halo games, the bounding info has typically been found in the .render_model tag and/or the .model tags as it's generated when 343/Bungie process the model with their tools - As in within the tag data itself, not the resource chunks.

The current .module extractor is pretty crude, so it just dumps everything, destroying the structure of the tags that store pre-processed assets (Bitmaps, models).

TL;DR
Check the .render_model tag associated with the resource chunks of the model you're trying to extract.

Here's the actual tag structures from H5. Both tags have specific references to bounding offsets. I'm not sure how helpful it'll be... but here they are anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosaWeyland
beginner

Post by RosaWeyland »

Alexis wrote:Check the .render_model tag associated with the resource chunks of the model you're trying to extract.
.render_model is the model file itself - that's where I've been pulling the mesh data from. Neither I nor my helping friend have found any reference to bounding boxes in there so far - that's not to mean it's not in there, we just might not know where to look. It might be worth rebuilding the module extractor to try and get a clean tag structure before we proceed further, though, probably easier to work with better tools from the offset than to try rebuilding everything from a raw dump.

I'll take a look again, however, there may be something I've missed.
Alexis
beginner

Post by Alexis »

RosaWeyland wrote:
Alexis wrote:Check the .render_model tag associated with the resource chunks of the model you're trying to extract.
.render_model is the model file itself - that's where I've been pulling the mesh data from. Neither I nor my helping friend have found any reference to bounding boxes in there so far - that's not to mean it's not in there, we just might not know where to look. It might be worth rebuilding the module extractor to try and get a clean tag structure before we proceed further, though, probably easier to work with better tools from the offset than to try rebuilding everything from a raw dump.

I'll take a look again, however, there may be something I've missed.
As I understand it; The plain xxx.render_model should be the the tag structure sans pre-processed data. The xxx.render_model.mesh_resource! Is the raw mesh data stripped from the xxx.render_model data by the module extractor... Is that not correct? The bounding info should be in the .render_model in a block all by itself.

Halos have typically stored the bounding box in the tag data rather than the mesh. When the model is compiled, the scale info is written to a specific block in the tag, not the mesh data... if that makes sense. Halo will scale the mesh based on the values in the tag... but I guess that it could have changed with H5
Renegaderobbie
ultra-n00b

Post by Renegaderobbie »

How do you convert .model files / .rended files?