Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

And another new build up.
This build fixes the decoding errors in the previous GC texturetype and converts 3 more texturetypes, including 2 types of luminance/intensity textures (so yes, the greyscale stuff is supposed to be greyscale =p)

I think I found just about all the texture types the game uses, but if you get a "currently unsupported image type X" message, drop me a line (and preferably, include an example file).

Look ma, no freaky blocks!
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Ahhh cool.
Id liek to try my own hadn at this while making my new game engine, I wondered just HOW u managed to edit them CG textures ENUF to work in TGA format in Photohshop.
Me and Strobe managed to replace some data but still the images were screwed as you saw a while back.
Any chance youd be able to Make a list for all the Formats from MGS2 and TTS like how U worked them out, this is next best thing down from Source Code to Solidus(Which I understand you wont ever release), Tihings like what needs to be changed in headers and what part is dimensions and stuff.

Oh btw: I notice that your Solidus tutorial is only for extracting and replacing textures, Would you like me to write a seperate one for Model conversion/extraction and subtextures and Audio ect?
In return for the Info i have requested, If not then Maybe il do this anyways if you want me to as a thanks

Edit:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageYou said NOtify you of errors
Well its from AREA01 I uploadded that files stuff zipped up for you to look at.
I still get this though
I noticed i have now got 7 RANDOM greyscale Solid Snake images, and 1 of something i cant even tell, WHY are they greyscale exactly? A transpanrency thing maybe?
Heres the link to the Files, WAs 1 meg too big to attach to my post,(Man Maybe i should ask MrMouse if he could make the Attachments for RAR bigger, Its rather inconveniant to so many peopl sometimes.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=136IG38N
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Is the mysterious texture some sort of pink/ grayscale with other colours? That are reflection maps/bump maps. Since the GC is better in graphics than PS2, there should be more layers of textures for details like that.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote:Is the mysterious texture some sort of pink/ grayscale with other colours? That are reflection maps/bump maps. Since the GC is better in graphics than PS2, there should be more layers of textures for details like that.
If you mean the stuff I posted then No that seems to be an accident as I can ACTUALLY tell what they are But the colours are really off.
If you mean ones such as the snakes normal costume texture but silver instead an undetailed then Yes i think this is something to do with Reflection or lighting, Its not Alpha im pretty sure of that, UNLESS the alpha was saved separatly that is lol.
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

Turfster wrote:including 2 types of luminance/intensity textures (so yes, the greyscale stuff is supposed to be greyscale =p)
Yes, it's a freaky system, no, I didn't design it =p
Also, alpha isn't stored separately, check the files.
BeeswaX
beginner

Post by BeeswaX »

is there already a way to get sfx files like gunsounds ?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

BeeswaX wrote:is there already a way to get sfx files like gunsounds ?
Nope.
There is a way to extract MUSIC fromt he MUSIC.DAT
But Sounds nope sorry.
But there easy to get with a program such as Jeader Neub or XA extractors.
Maybe he will add support for these if you ask him, tho the gun sounds in this game are nothing more inpressive then in most others to be honest
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

New build up.
Couple of small fixes here and there + added type 3 decoding.

BTW, I'm pretty sure those "strange" textures in the area files are lightmaps containing (low-res) lumel data, so yes, they're supposed to look like that.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Turfster wrote:New build up.
Couple of small fixes here and there + added type 3 decoding.

BTW, I'm pretty sure those "strange" textures in the area files are lightmaps containing (low-res) lumel data, so yes, they're supposed to look like that.
Ahh great dude.
What IS type 3 exactly?
what ARE the files contained in type 3?
You havent BY CHANCE looked into the GC KMY model files at all have you?
If not then i dont want to rush you or anything.
But if so then GREAT.
If onyl Snake Eater wasnt so stupid and have to be ENCRYPTED .DAT files, id send a piece of the .DAT to you to see if you wanted to undertake the challenge lol.
Thanks dude
The REAL
n00b

Post by The REAL »

How about MGS2 PS2 textures format? Its like PC/GC or may be its TIM2? I am searching texture with fonts...
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The REAL wrote:How about MGS2 PS2 textures format? Its like PC/GC or may be its TIM2? I am searching texture with fonts...
MGS2 textures formats are most likley TIM2.
But the MGS2 STAGE.DAT is encrypted.
And i CURRENTLY STILL havent gotten it back off my mate.
So i cant check as i only have the MAKING OF disk atm.
Maybe Turfster will add Support for the MGS2 stage.DAT.
but I cant say, ul have to ask him.
Make a CUT PIECE for him and post it here and when he comes he will maybe take a look at it.
Texture with fronts??
What/
szevvy
n00b

Post by szevvy »

Hopefully this doesn't come too late - the "1.000 is not a floating point value" error is perhaps something I can help with - for some people. I came across this same issue a while while writing some Soldat stuff; it turned out that people with that problem were in Europe, and their version of Windows was set to use the comma as a decimal separator. If, in your regional setting you have it set up so that, say, "1,000" means "one point zero", when some compilers (notably Delphi/CBuilder) will not convert between the two. The solution? Change your region over to US while running the program.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

szevvy wrote:Hopefully this doesn't come too late - the "1.000 is not a floating point value" error is perhaps something I can help with - for some people. I came across this same issue a while while writing some Soldat stuff; it turned out that people with that problem were in Europe, and their version of Windows was set to use the comma as a decimal separator. If, in your regional setting you have it set up so that, say, "1,000" means "one point zero", when some compilers (notably Delphi/CBuilder) will not convert between the two. The solution? Change your region over to US while running the program.
Lol the problem was sorted out anyways.
Just set the "," so that it was CLOSED away.
Not sure HOW it worked but the Problem was fixed.
The REAL
n00b

Post by The REAL »

lionheartuk wrote: Make a CUT PIECE for him and post it here and when he comes he will maybe take a look at it.
Texture with fronts??
What/
PC version has resident.dar(in STAGE directory) that include keepfont.row - fonts textures (format like DDS).
Looks like PS2-version used another fonts :( And STAGE.DAT has unknown compression...
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The REAL wrote:
lionheartuk wrote: Make a CUT PIECE for him and post it here and when he comes he will maybe take a look at it.
Texture with fronts??
What/
PC version has resident.dar(in STAGE directory) that include keepfont.row - fonts textures (format like DDS).
Looks like PS2-version used another fonts :( And STAGE.DAT has unknown compression...
yes the PS2 Stage.dat is Encrypted lol, Unfortunatly.
So far no1 has been able to get anything from it.
But if oyu have the PC version why would you ever want to extract formt he PS2 version, they are identicle really, Except the PS2 version has the other add on disk The Document of MGS2(with making of, levels, documents, art and such).
Id like to get stuff from here, ESSPECIALLY because it has the SUPER EARLY Solid snake model(shinkawa touch) and Metal Gear Rex, Il put up a Snipped fromt hat and se if Turfster can work with them actually.