Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Folders d001p1, d021p1, r_vr_b. Example of r_vr_b included.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Thanks very much! OMG this really works!!!

Hey, but I need to ask for further assistance (if you don't mind).

Where can I find the HIGH RES Solid Snake model? Because even when I check in the Stage the D folders, Snake has a lower res model. It's usually called 'sna_def.kmy'. But I need the one where he has more facial details, and eyeballs. Also, where do I find the higher detailed hands (has seperate fingers, looks more realistic)? For instance, there would be a file called 'sna_def_addhand' and it ends with .evx so I'm not sure what that is.

I also want to see the high res Pliskin model, without headphones on, and the one where has the balaclava on.

I also found the Raiden model, but he doesn't have any hair! He has an open skull-lol.

Well, I'll play with this more and see what I can find out. But any help would be great, and thanks for your help so far!

This is soooo damn cool!!

P.S. Oh! And how do I get the textures put on? I know it will be different in Maya, but how did you go about it Lionheart?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Where can I find the HIGH RES Solid Snake model?
Well the STAGE folder are for INGAME so they dont REALLY need higher res models, you BEST bet is the DEMO folders, they hold the info for the CUTSCENES.
I also found the Raiden model, but he doesn't have any hair! He has an open skull-lol.
Yeah that is a problem caused by the fact that the hair is controlled seperatly as its made so realistically. you should extract rai_hair_bounding (or sometihng like that) and it SHOULD work ok then.
P.S. Oh! And how do I get the textures put on? I know it will be different in Maya, but how did you go about it Lionheart?
Well make sure for 1 that you export the tetures as Subtextures (NEEDED).
2: open the model in MAYA (also its BEST to change the PERSPECTIVE view to textured to see if that helps), then RENDER your SCENE and see if you can see them then.
In MAX i can ONLY see the textures when I render.
Folders d001p1, d021p1, r_vr_b. Example of r_vr_b included
well I jsut TRIED it and it works FINE perfectly for me, Maybe you need ot UPDATE some Drivers on your PC (OPENGL or DIRECT X perhaps).
Also if oyur PC is OLD that MAY effect something, tho im not sure its just a guess.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

NEW VERSION UP

Post by lionheartuk »

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance File Analysis and FAQ

NEW VERSION UP

This new version contains SEVERAL fixes:
- Corrected Spellign Errors
- Added to MODEL abbreviation section
- Added to TEXTURE conversion section
- Created Model extration Tutorial
- Created FAQ suggestions and Q&A section
- Added 2 questions to the Q&A section
- Added more folders and deaper Explanations to the Stage folder.
- Included links ot a few Photobucket Images of Solidus at work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

lionheartuk wrote:
Folders d001p1, d021p1, r_vr_b. Example of r_vr_b included
well I jsut TRIED it and it works FINE perfectly for me, Maybe you need ot UPDATE some Drivers on your PC (OPENGL or DIRECT X perhaps).
Also if oyur PC is OLD that MAY effect something, tho im not sure its just a guess.
I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ XP, 1024MB RAM, DirectX 9.0c, an NVidia Geforce FX 5700LE with 256MB, and WinXP Pro.
Apart of that information, I don't know what the creator of this tool used to make it work.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote: I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ XP, 1024MB RAM, DirectX 9.0c, an NVidia Geforce FX 5700LE with 256MB, and WinXP Pro.
Apart of that information, I don't know what the creator of this tool used to make it work.
Hm...
Well the files I was sent by YOU work FINE for me.
Are you SURE you only have 1 solidus file on you ENTIRE PC, as the files MAY be reading from an OLDER version.
DELETE ALL solidus files and REDOWNLOAD vthe NEWEST version, all SHOULD be fine then.
But anyways HERE is the file you sent me.
I have EXTRACTED and CONVERTED the files to OBJ as i ASSUMED that you wanted them anyways lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

lionheartuk wrote:
Well the STAGE folder are for INGAME so they dont REALLY need higher res models, you BEST bet is the DEMO folders, they hold the info for the CUTSCENES.
Yes. That's where I looked. The DEMO folders all start with D WITHEN the stage folder, remember? You said it yourself in your FAQ:

"Stage - many folders named: - D--t and D--p-- ect, these contain demo data. T =tanker P = plant
: -- is the Demo number which the folder hold the info for.
Example files are D001t (Tanker 1st demo), D001p01(Plant)"

I know I'm looking in the right place. But why am I not seeing the headphone-less Pliskin with detailed hands? This is what I found:

iro_def_sh_mt.kmy

This is the full-res Pliskin (his face) wearing headphones. Also with the blockier in-game hands. Even though it is in the cutscene after Emma goes across the oilfence (in the computer room with the parrot. I won't say spoilers =P )

Then I also see these:

iro_takeoff_mh_mt.evx
iro_takeoff_addhand_mh_mt.evx

That might mean to me the take-off headphones head - a piece of model from elsewhere. And same idea with 'addhand' I guess. But these are not in .kmy format. So I'm guessing you have not seen what these are either? Does this mean that not ALL of the models are viewable?

Have you even seen the high-res hands from withen gameplay levels? Cause you know how in first person view, they show their arms and hands in higher quality (model and texture).

Take a screenshot for me of any of these things please. :)
Yeah that is a problem caused by the fact that the hair is controlled seperatly as its made so realistically. you should extract rai_hair_bounding (or sometihng like that) and it SHOULD work ok then.
Well, I tried that and it didn't work. But I will worry about Raiden later. One thing at a time I guess.

Well make sure for 1 that you export the tetures as Subtextures (NEEDED).
Yep. Did that. Extracted the textures with that option enabled, and in the same directory as the models.
2: open the model in MAYA (also its BEST to change the PERSPECTIVE view to textured to see if that helps), then RENDER your SCENE and see if you can see them then.
In MAX i can ONLY see the textures when I render.
I tried both. Nothing is working >.< First I press the button that shows textures on the model, but all I got was this shiney white colour on the model. Then I tried to render, but frankly, I have never done that before and I don't know how to do it.... I tried 'render current frame' but I'm not even sure if this does anything for a model before you set up animations and lighting and effects and stuff. I'm quite new to some of this stuff....

Additionally, I tried also the demo version of 'Polytrans for Maya' which allows you to convert to and from many formats. .OBJ was there, but as you said, Maya already imports that so thats ok. But still, I tried this, and there was an option to also import the .mtl texture files.....AHA! But not really..... It gave me an error and nothing showed up >.< I'll have to email them about that.

I guess it would help if I wasn't so rusty with Maya (and I only learned principles of 3D modelling, not much of texturing, and nothing of rendering).

Please! Can anyone familiar with Maya help me out here? There must be a way for these textures to show up on the model, if the .obj format is importable.... Maybe the .mtl isn't compatible with Maya? What is that file anyway? Texture mapping? And I'd also like to find these other head and hand models for Pliskin!

By the way, thanks for the new Filesexplanation text! You still forgot to add that PAC contains all of the little video files in the game. You don't have the DVD at the moment, but are you saying you don't have these files? I wonder if you don't see any videos inside Substance...

Anyway, thanks so much in advance! :wink:
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Ok! I solved one problem, though I am still working through more.

Maya users! What happened for me in Maya 5 is this: The textures wouldn't show up on models, because for some reason the program saw the textures with a period in front of their name. For instance .002375696.tga (or whatever), but its not supposed to have the period. I have no idea why this happens but its very easy to correct it:

1) Go to Window > Rendering editors > Hypershade.

2) In Hypershade, click the TEXTURES tab.

3) Here you should see several empty boxes. Click the first one, and then go back to the main window so that you will now have an options box on the right.

4) See where it says 'Image Name' and it shows where it found the texture file? See how it has a period in front? Simply delete that period, press enter.

5) Now go back to hypershade and keep doing this in every black box, which represents a texture that isn't showing up. Once you fix the texture, it shows up there.

6) After you fixed ALL of them, NOW when you press 6 on the main views it will display textures! Or alternatively, if you already pressed 6 originally, then every texture you fixed will show up.

Now this is still a work in progress because I don't understand why the textures look like CRAP (worse than the game), also the alpha/transparencies of the textures aren't showing up. I haven't touched Maya in many months and I was already a noob with texturing back then! So if anyone has any other ideas and suggestions on how to make the textures appear as NORMAL, I'd really appreciate it!

And I want to know where the heck do you find the high res hands of the characters.... and why does Pliskin not have his TEETH, etc. It is strange that some of these parts are elsewhere, hmm?
Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster »

No people, I'm not dead, I've just been so swamped with work I didn't feel like doing any coding ;)
Kenshinsx wrote: Image
OK, I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.
Your regional settings use "," instead of "." for decimal point, which was supposed to be trapped, but apparently fucked up for the scale input.
Anyway, try the new build on the site and see if it still croaks.
evin wrote: If I extract the first file from the cache.qar, and replace the extracted file(no editing) with the qar first file, the qar file size is bigger.
You're right, stupid delphi quirk. Should be fixed now.
gundammg wrote: Is it also possible to extract the files and make the tga /dds and obj files in one go, rather having to extract them and choose them again to extract?
Quick-fixed, new "convert" option.
TheDyingInformant wrote:Well I'm thinking the game code is strictly written up to not allow higher res textures in. I can't seem to create higher res textures without the game crashing. I have tried to make a texture double the resolution and also triple, but the game crashes. So for instance, a 256x256 texture has to remain the same resolution.
I've tested it with my trusty friend node_title_tex, and I could scale it up to 1024x1024 without problems (original is 512x512). Dunno why it doesn't work for you.

Latest build can be found on the site, as usual.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Turfster wrote:No people, I'm not dead, I've just been so swamped with work I didn't feel like doing any coding ;)
thata ok man.
I TOO have bene swamped with WORK lol.
So your work ISNT as SWAPMED anymore?
Any other Progress other then the little FIXES?

Have you read my FAQ for this game?
If so im wondering what if any the mistakes are, like What certain folders contain ect or what certain files do.
I have encountered a CERTAIN mgs2 file that ocntians something VERY unexpected when i viewed it with the HEX editor.
It may ACTUALLY offend people so I cannot POST the image here as it contains MANY offensive words and a racist word.
NOTE: i DID NOT write this into the HEX editor myself, it seems to be that way, i tihnk its VERY odd indeed CONSIDERING THE NORMAL text BEFORE it.
REQ: In your tool for Tomb Raider Legend you made a small model/texture view at the side of the Program itself, would it be possible to include this into the Solidus Program at all?
As its VERY oftent hat we are all mislead by a file name and it turns outt o be something USELESS like a pole or a fence lol, or a hand.
I thought THIS might make it EASIER to find your CORRECT model.
Any thoughts on this man?
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

Turfster
THX :)
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Thanks Turfster, now the program and the MS3D plugin works smoothly.
BTW, Can anyone tell me where's Raiden with the swimming mask?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

McCuñao wrote:Thanks Turfster, now the program and the MS3D plugin works smoothly.
BTW, Can anyone tell me where's Raiden with the swimming mask?
You mean the Diving costume i take it.
Look in my FAQ itl tell you where MOST of the models your after are located, and what folders are what ect.
But for the Raiden one your best to try the EARLY d00p01 and them EARLY files BELOW 5 and youl find it soon enough.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Welcome back Turfster! Thanks for the update! :)

I have a question maybe you can answer for me.... I think I've figured out why I haven't been able to display the transparency textures properly in Maya (such as Snake's hair). Sure part of it has to do with Maya what I can't understand, but part of it must be the way the MGS2 textures are saved and this is what I want to know from you....

See, this doesn't make much sense to me. it is like the MGS2 textures have the alpha files built into the same file, or something.... You see, you know how in Photoshop the transparent type textures, in TGA format, are shown in just ONE layer - the main texture viewable, and everything else around it is clear, because nothing is supposed to show there. But, in a different image program which I guess displays TGA differently, this same file will just be a completely coloured texture, showing the details of the hairs but also everything surrounding it is visable.

This is interesting and baffling to me because, when I export Sims 2 textures for instance, you get atleast 2 seperate files: the texture, and the alpha channel - what is going to be shown and what will be hidden - as a seperate file. but the game uses BOTH during the game. And ofcourse, if there is a bump map texture, but that's a different story.

ANYWAY, so I'm just wondering, does MGS2 seem to include the alpha file built into the same texture file, and some programs can't display it properly?

Do you have access to the seperate alpha files? For instance, if we had the texture of the parrots' feathers, then we would have another file to go with it - the black and white alpha file, showing what is meant to be transparent. MGS2 doesn't include seperate files for this?

I just wonder Turfster if you could explain that a bit, and if we could have access to the alpha files too, that would be great. :wink:
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Well i thought i could TRY and answer your question but I dont know so it'dbe a waste of a post to pretend i did lol.
Oh yes Dyinginformant can you plese come on MSN as soon as possible, I need your help with a few things, and there is SOMETHING i want to show you regarding one of the files from this game, a most Unusual find i must add.

Has anyone found any cool things within this game yet?
Ie: cool levels ect,
Also Turfster, i think that you have most likely NOT begun the Animations or maed any more Progress on this Program but still il ask anyways.
Any news? Animation wise or even for ANYTHING else, maybe MODEL replacing.