Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Unknown Model File Type (Evil Genius 2, Asura Engine)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Jaw
beginner

Unknown Model File Type (Evil Genius 2, Asura Engine)

Post by Jaw »

Got some files here that were extracted from Evil Genius 2 using QuickBMS.
Everything comes out extensionless. Header doesn't tell me anything, maybe someone here knows whats up with these?
I appended a sample file and header screenshot.

EG2_model_file.png

edit: attaching sample file apparently didn't work, so here's a mega link instead
https://mega.nz/file/Z6RRhCyR#hcD2ivBx6 ... b3oqgIeWFU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: Unknown Model File Type (Evil Genius 2, Asura Engine)

Post by shakotay2 »

Strange, I tried x,y,z and ended up with an uv map!?
Ah, see, mix of shorts (x,y,z) and half floats (uvs), a feature, hex2obj doesn't have (and never will):
philanthropist_head.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Also, some UInt10s apparently for normals and other stuff.

There must also be some companion files because the file doesn't reference any textures/materials. The vertex data has bone information, but no skeleton data is present.

First Int value in the file is the number of submeshes. Submesh info starts at 0x10, with 0x14 bytes per entry. The only useful thing I can see in that info is the number of faces used for each submesh at offset 8 in each entry.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Jaw
beginner

Post by Jaw »

shakotay2 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 pm Strange, I tried x,y,z and ended up with an uv map!?
Ah, see, mix of shorts (x,y,z) and half floats (uvs), a feature, hex2obj doesn't have (and never will):
philanthropist_head.png
Interesting, could you post the h2obj settings you used for this one?
DKDave wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 pm Also, some UInt10s apparently for normals and other stuff.

There must also be some companion files because the file doesn't reference any textures/materials. The vertex data has bone information, but no skeleton data is present.

First Int value in the file is the number of submeshes. Submesh info starts at 0x10, with 0x14 bytes per entry. The only useful thing I can see in that info is the number of faces used for each submesh at offset 8 in each entry.
Thanks for the overview! It looks like there aren't even any LODs contained in these.
I am currently working on extracting the texture files and misc stuff. Looks like every part only uses one material.
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

p-head.png
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"
Jaw
beginner

Post by Jaw »

Happy new year!
First of all, big thank you to both of you again! Both the tip with the face count and type switching were absolutely golden. Making separate objs for mesh and UVs and recombining later is working really well so far. All the heads I needed are successfully done now.

There is just one weirdness with the larger body meshes. See screenshot: the body is off-center and certain parts offset a few units to the side. Still connected though, creating serious stretching. I can theoretically correct this in blender later, but I wonder if there's a way to compensate for this during the hex2obj step already?

Sample files attached via mega
raw
https://mega.nz/file/02RVFK4a#sreUseSgQ ... OCj2M5opIU
result obj
https://mega.nz/file/tyIVWQDZ#qw-ZFwFaV ... YHfN1dgdZI

edit: offset, it turns out, is exactly 256, making it an easy fix