Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Giana Sisters : Twisted Dreams - Owltimate Edition NX files

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
GianaSistersFan64
beginner

Giana Sisters : Twisted Dreams - Owltimate Edition NX files

Post by GianaSistersFan64 »

I found 4 rendermesh files in one of the pak files of the game, and they are very big so i'm guessing these must contains all the models of the game. Using the convertor tool (which meant to be used for the PC version) don't give much anything, all i got was a weird looking model and a giant vine. The extentions are different, instead of being win32 files, they are nx files so that's probably why we get nothing interesting by using the convertor. Unfortunately, i didn't find any other informations about these files.
Here are the files : http://www.mediafire.com/file/tk1ec4sw6 ... s.zip/file
It's would be nice if we can get skeleton datas as well as the dark counterpart of the level objects. I have been struggling to have the game's models perfectly ripped.
Sorry for grammar, i'm french and dysphasia.
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: Giana Sisters : Twisted Dreams - Owltimate Edition NX files

Post by shakotay2 »

Using hex2obj (view link in my sig)
rendermesh_0.png
(One submesh only.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"
GianaSistersFan64
beginner

shakotay2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:11 pm Using hex2obj (view link in my sig)
rendermesh_0.png
(One submesh only.)
I tried a bit of experience with Hex2obj before, but it's pretty confusing for me. Also for unknown reason, i can't open rendermesh_0.bin.nx with it.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Yeah, there's a lot of meshes in those files - at least in 0.bin and 1.bin. Files 2 and 3 seems to have lots of "mesh" data but no face information that I can see. File 0 alone has 4998 separate meshes. Here's an example of one (obviously I don't have textures to test it with):

I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
GianaSistersFan64
beginner

DKDave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:02 pm Yeah, there's a lot of meshes in those files - at least in 0.bin and 1.bin. Files 2 and 3 seems to have lots of "mesh" data but no face information that I can see. File 0 alone has 4998 separate meshes. Here's an example of one (obviously I don't have textures to test it with):

Rendermesh 2 and 3 are probably used to make models morph into their dark counterpart which mean they are vertex shaders. Though having the models ripped from them would still be nice, even if there's only vertices.

There was a convertor for the models files of the game, but work only on win32 files since they had that extension. Also rendermesh files where in every level files, which had the models that the level were using so getting all models at once was difficult.

Maybe the creator of the convertor (or someone else) can create an alt version that work perfectly for the nx files.

By the way, despite i have all textures of the game, i don't know which of them fit in your ripped model.
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

rendermesh_0-0x5F415b8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

The format of the whole archive isn't too bad - there's a table at the start which has info like the stride value for each mesh. This is referenced from the 2nd table, which has the vertex/face counts, etc. Then the vertex/face data tables after that.

There's probably an index somewhere for the textures that are referred to from the mesh data in these files.

Here's one of the meshes without face data from 2.bin. Logically there should probably be face data somewhere, but doesn't seem to be in files 2 & 3.

29,000 vertices in this mesh.

I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
GianaSistersFan64
beginner

shakotay2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:53 pm rendermesh_0-0x5F415b8.png
Ok for some unknown reasons i can open rendermesh_0 on Hex2obj. I took the coordinate of the model shown here and put it texture on it.
Carriagesmall.png
DKDave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:11 pm The format of the whole archive isn't too bad - there's a table at the start which has info like the stride value for each mesh. This is referenced from the 2nd table, which has the vertex/face counts, etc. Then the vertex/face data tables after that.

There's probably an index somewhere for the textures that are referred to from the mesh data in these files.

Here's one of the meshes without face data from 2.bin. Logically there should probably be face data somewhere, but doesn't seem to be in files 2 & 3.

29,000 vertices in this mesh.

Can you tell me how you get the models step by step? I'd love to get the Owlverlords and other enemies i didn't got.

Since texture files aren't mentioned, you have to find the texture yourself on the textures folder by basing it from the shape and UV of the model. For exemple, the carriage shown here is a popular level object so it's was easy to find. But there is others that are hard to recognise and look for their textures.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

If you want to try out my hacked together work in progress Noesis script, I've attached it.

You only need to enter the required mesh number in the file and it should display it. UVs and normals are included where known, as not every mesh has the same vertex layout!
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

Nice script! Position offsets would be nice, too, to not have the meshes clumped:
a1000submeshes.png
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

1000-2000.jpg
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

4000-4500.jpg
4000-4500
GianaSistersFan64
beginner

DKDave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:05 am If you want to try out my hacked together work in progress Noesis script, I've attached it.

You only need to enter the required mesh number in the file and it should display it. UVs and normals are included where known, as not every mesh has the same vertex layout!
Thanks for the script but unfortunately i couldn't reach my laptop until next Saturday. I see in those pictures this is a mess but despite that, i can recognize some model like the floating boats, owl machine and other platforms.

I was always curious if the unused enemies had their models. I found their textures files, but i can't find them in-game nor their animation files. https://mobile.twitter.com/YukkuriFan64 ... 9645177864
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I've looked for the positional info in the file but couldn't see anything that worked - unless someone else knows where it is, and I can easily add it.
GianaSistersFan64
beginner

DKDave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:05 pm I've looked for the positional info in the file but couldn't see anything that worked - unless someone else knows where it is, and I can easily add it.
Have you checked both rendermesh 0 and 1? Character models are always located at the end of rendermesh files so they are probably located in rendermesh 1.
I'd love to help you, but i don't know much about hex analysis, so good luck :wink: