Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 4 [Blender] [WIP]

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
MyRightArmTheGodHand
ultra-n00b

Metal Gear Solid 4 [Blender] [WIP]

Post by MyRightArmTheGodHand »

Heyy,
I've been looking to rip some models off MGS4. There were at least two maxscripts to import .mdn files, but unfortunately I don't have access to 3ds max. The .mdn format is mostly documented so I decided to look into this myself. I got a barebones blender importer that can do vertex positions and faces. Also supports batch import.

This would be my first on writing a blender plugin and fiddling with byte level data, so I'm kinda suprised I got something useable.

I tried to do bones, too, but couldn't find much reference on blender's end. I'll try to keep working on it and appreciate any input.

These helped me a lot:
https://www.mgsdevwiki.com/wiki/index.php/MDN
viewtopic.php?t=11013
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11018
http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Blender_Import_Guide

EDIT:
UVs added, seems to produce correct results.
https://github.com/skelerang/mgs4mdn-blender-import
Last edited by MyRightArmTheGodHand on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Portugalotaku
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 [Blender] [WIP]

Post by Portugalotaku »

Do these come with assigned textures?
MyRightArmTheGodHand
ultra-n00b

Post by MyRightArmTheGodHand »

No, also no UV's or anything. But I did intend to work on this next. I haven't looked at it much yet, but I expect to find "filenames" for the textures, which should make it easy.
Portugalotaku
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Portugalotaku »

MyRightArmTheGodHand wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:26 pm No, also no UV's or anything. But I did intend to work on this next. I haven't looked at it much yet, but I expect to find "filenames" for the textures, which should make it easy.
Ah, a shame. The maxscript is pretty handy, but having no assigned textures makes it hard to use, since the texture files just have number strings as names.
jesus1259
ultra-n00b

Post by jesus1259 »

Hey, I got my hands on a copy of metal gear solid 4 iso and from there I was able to extract numerous models using the "solid eye tool" as well as the "MDN plugin" for Noesis let me know if you'd like any models extracted and ill do the best I can to provide them!!!! Image Image
SecaProject
beginner

Post by SecaProject »

Congrats!
Bones are done in my script, I can help you.