Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PS1] Hot Wheels Turbo Racing : .big file

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
matty45
ultra-n00b

[PS1] Hot Wheels Turbo Racing : .big file

Post by matty45 »

I have never seen anyone trying to reverse engineer the file formats of this game before.

The game stores most of its assets except music inside a file called "CCPSX.7z"
The file cannot be opened by most file unpackers.

However the only thing that i have managed to extract from it are its images using jpsxdec and tim2view.

I cant seem to find any magic headers within the archive but the filenames are there.

Hex Preview: https://i.imgur.com/8REdOL1.png

File: https://mega.nz/file/yVpiRQSR#gWD9X-vEe ... S4fyE2bbcM
Last edited by matty45 on Tue May 12, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
matty45
ultra-n00b

Re: [PSX] Hot Wheels Turbo Racing : .big file

Post by matty45 »

Ive tried all sorts of game archive unpackers including, dragon unpacker, and some quickbms scripts to no avail, been looking at the games code myself to figure it out but so far, ive found nothing.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: [PS1] Hot Wheels Turbo Racing : .big file

Post by DKDave »

You can use the attached QuickBMS script to extract the files from the .BIG archive - it should work for both the NTSC and PAL versions (CCCPSX.BIG and CCCPSXP.BIG)

As far as I can tell, the archive doesn't separate the file extension from the filename. I don't know what most of the extracted files are, except for VH for audio header info and VB for audio data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
matty45
ultra-n00b

Re: [PS1] Hot Wheels Turbo Racing : .big file

Post by matty45 »

It works!, Thanks for the help!

Ill see what i can do with those extracted files and hopefully get some results.