Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Decrypt Starpoint Gemini 2 .mdl files

Read or post about compression. And decompression. Or ask questions how to decompress your files.
Killstr3aKs
beginner

Decrypt Starpoint Gemini 2 .mdl files

Post by Killstr3aKs »

Hello, i've been trying to convert this .mdl file of a SpG2 ship, but it looks like it has some sort of encryption.

I've been using all kinds of software, from 3D object converter to Cannonfodder's MDLDecompiler, even hex editing (although i don't know much about this last one).

I want to tinker with the models and see what i cand do with them, i just need to convert them into a format i can work with (either .obj or .3ds), but i've got no luck so far.

Here is the file: https://mega.co.nz/#!vkoj3DBK!Pq6K5Bdsa ... eSMhy4umEM
GMMan
veteran

Re: Decrypt Starpoint Gemini 2 .mdl files

Post by GMMan »

It doesn't look encrypted. You'll need to figure out the format of the vertex data, etc.
Currently researching: Alpha Prime scripting (AI and mods)
Queued: EE .cache repacking, CustomPak repacking, Gameloft Scrambled Zip multitool, GRAF Extractor Skeleton repacking, Gun Metal filenames CRC
Killstr3aKs
beginner

Post by Killstr3aKs »

Thanks i guess, i'm still trying to figure out how to deal with this file format. Anyone else?
Karpati
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Karpati »

I added the Whale 2 Engine Binary (Starpoint Gemini 2) .MDL loader module to the 3D Object Converter.
I released it as a web update, so just use the Help/Check for updates... function to get it.

I will add the Whale 2 Engine ASCII (Starpoint Gemini 2) .MDL loader module to my program later.