Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

XeNTaX 25th Anniversary!

The Off-Topic Forum - Anything goes! As long as it's legal(ish). Things that made you scream "Holy Cow!"
basil
beginner

Re: XeNTaX 25th Anniversary!

Post by basil »

Gosh, it's been years since I was here. Congrats on your 25th-- and nice timing, it just so happens I'm ready to get back into this stuff! (probably) :stalk:

...Uh, right now I can't get to MultiEx Commander since http://multiex.xentax.com is only showing a test page.

edit: Whoops, maybe it's because
Mr.Mouse wrote:Okay hold on while this is fixed the coming days.
Last edited by basil on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you wish to thank someone for a post, please click the Image button.
(↘corner)
Corak
ultra-n00b

Post by Corak »

Mr.Mouse wrote:The time has come. MultiEx Commander is free to download as part of the 25th Anniversary !

Check http://multiex.xentax.com !

:ninja:
"Apache 2 Test Page
powered by CentOS

This page is used to test the proper operation of the Apache HTTP server after it has been installed. If you can read this page it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly.
"

All right with the server?
Cpt Putang
ultra-n00b

Post by Cpt Putang »

:bravo:

Wow 25years that's some dedication.

Congratulations on 1 hell of a mile-stone guys :drunken:
Agret
n00b

Post by Agret »

Your game research forum is like nothing else on the web, I was very sad when I received the emails earlier this year about no more MultiEX and no more Game Research forum due to legal threats. Glad to see you have brought them back up though. [bruce] Hope the site continues for many more years!
-
maziacs
ultra-n00b

Post by maziacs »

Also wanted to congratulate. Been here a long time ago (like around 8 - 10 years) and found this community really creative. Then life happened. Now I'm back :)
tpcrew
n00b

Post by tpcrew »

Congratulations and thanks!

PD. http://multiex.xentax.com/ is down! :( :( :(
shekofte
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by shekofte »

I hail you Dr Mike
May you live to be 120 years old

MultiEx Commander would be a memorial bounty

did you remember me yet ? , when i joined xentax i just was an idiot but i turned savvy now :twisted:
ILLUSORY VIDEO GAMES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN PRECIOUS INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALLs
de2apandi
ultra-n00b

Post by de2apandi »

Happy birthday 25th
I hope this app will continue to evolve along with the development of the game ..

Dany0
ultra-n00b

Post by Dany0 »

Mr.Mouse wrote:The first is the free registration as a forum member for an indefinite period of time.
I don't understand, I wasn't a forum member before or what is it?
mqstout
ultra-n00b

Post by mqstout »

It's good to see the site still around! I came/joined to read on GRAF (though I think I contributed to a couple minor bits on the wiki back when I had "free time") and still keep up now and again.

I'm always happy to see nice corners of the Internet stay alive and healthy.
tgp1994
advanced

Post by tgp1994 »

Dany0 wrote:
Mr.Mouse wrote:The first is the free registration as a forum member for an indefinite period of time.
This is a good question... I think I've been a member for awhile, was registration disabled?
Fatekeeper
ultra-n00b

Post by Fatekeeper »

Congratulations and heartwarming hugs from good ol' Germany.

Have a great party and carry on the next 25 years.
weej
ultra-n00b

Post by weej »

Wow, who'd have guessed searching for a way to make music work in a Need for Speed game would lead to a tiny chunk of my childhood memories!

Hi all!
Long time lurker, first time poster - I signed up on Xentax a few days ago but NEVER realised the historic link till much later, Story Time!!

Back in the early 90s In my country there was no concept of a game being legal or pirated, we just got whatever we got, we still paid money and that's how it was for years till the internet made the world a smaller place and we started learning of how things were done elsewhere! Back then the machine that enamored me the most as an 8 year old, was a Commodore 64. It was great! However anyone who owned a PC (of any kind , whether 80x86 based or c64 or amiga etc) would always wonder why the following companies were the only ones who made games for it: Razor1911, FairLighT, Groo, IKARI+TALENT (and a few others I can't remember) and the most prevalent one: BASH Presents (or maybe just BASH). It never occurred to me or my schoolfriends that these were cracking/reverse engineering groups - we actually thought they were the company creating and releasing the game!

As we grew a little older we'd always discuss why these companies "didn't make the games as good as their introduction screens with all the fancy effects and text". or "How is it that these companies can pay so much attention to detail inside the game but the pretty intros have English written by a 5 yr old?" or "I just wish we didn't have to watch so many intro screens before actually playing the game!"

One Game however stood out especially on the C64, that one was Turbo Outrun - its the one we all agreed on that actually looked as good as the intro screen and played just as well ! I got my copy of the game on floppy and for a Good 8 years at least, XentaX were the people who made the game! Why? Because when I'd run the game the first screen I'd get was a Turbo Outrun one but with the trademark weird English with a message and 'Greetz' and then it'd end with Xentax by Mr. Mouse. When you pressed space you'd get ANTOHER message with PRESENTED TO YOU BY XENTAX followed by a message that "Gordon/Gambino/Gambit (I dont remember!) was a fool". Then I'd hit Enter and the game's proper intro with run!

Now...DECADES later I'm searching for a way to figure out why ea3layer.exe is making corrupt mp3 files for Need For Speed Most wanted 2012 and I land upon this forum, I look at the banner that says 1989 and notice a post by "Mr. Mouse"... SUDDENLY it hits me "No way... they CANT be the same people!" LOTS of googling later and I'm reliving my past glory days EXACTLY like I remember them! Sure enough the SAME group and the same people behind said group! So Thank you for being around Xentax ... and especially thank you for "making" Turbo Outrun for the C64 ;)

Here's to another 25 years and beyond! :up:
rambo919
beginner

Post by rambo919 »

A bright lighthouse in a dark ocean of secrets...
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

tgp1994 wrote:
Dany0 wrote:
This is a good question... I think I've been a member for awhile, was registration disabled?
I registered only recently, and it cost 20 dollars to register. (via paypal). So seems now it will be free. As usual my timing is off. :)

But thanks for the History lesson, I had no idea Xentax had such a long and interesting past. Happy 25th Anniversary! :D