Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

.obj to Source Engine 2 .vmdl

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Ahri
beginner

.obj to Source Engine 2 .vmdl

Post by Ahri »

Can anyone figure out how to convert .obj models and their texture files to the Source Engine 2 Format .vmdl?

Tutorial to download the Source Engine:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... hing_Tools
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: .obj to Source Engine 2 .vmdl

Post by shakotay2 »

iirc Source SDK can import SMD files. There's also an obj2smd converter available (for static models only).
Did you take into consideration to try it this way for SE2?
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"
Ahri
beginner

Post by Ahri »

shakotay2 wrote:iirc Source SDK can import SMD files. There's also an obj2smd converter available (for static models only).
Did you take into consideration to try it this way for SE2?
SE2 Files are different, it doesnt work. You cant use SMD Files in SE2. You can import .obj Files, also TGA, but you can't apply the Textures on the Models correctly so you have to convert the .obj model and .tga texture into a .vmdl file to have the model + working textures on the right position.
cra0
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by cra0 »

VMDL is just a link container it doesn't store anything but metadata which links

-vmesh_c
-vphys_c

etc

I'm currently reversing the vmesh_c format which actually stores the mesh data in a VBO/IBO and material parameters.
Ahri
beginner

Post by Ahri »

So you basically still need another file for the textures?(.vmat files)
Maybe someone could write a script for Noesis that exports model files into vmdl and vmat files which can be used in Hammer.
cra0
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by cra0 »

Ahri wrote:So you basically still need another file for the textures?(.vmat files)
Maybe someone could write a script for Noesis that exports model files into vmdl and vmat files which can be used in Hammer.
Why you can make vmdls using the model editor and it accepts fbx, smd, dmx I don't see any reason why there should be a script just convert your obj into an fbx then import it :roll:
Ahri
beginner

Post by Ahri »

cra0 wrote:
Ahri wrote:So you basically still need another file for the textures?(.vmat files)
Why you can make vmdls using the model editor and it accepts fbx, smd, dmx I don't see any reason why there should be a script just convert your obj into an fbx then import it :roll:
My problem is that i cant import the textures and bring them in the right position. Or dies the fbx file includes textures? Will give it a try.