Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (THAT'S ALL FOLKS?)

Programs that are related to this or that game.
Hamers
beginner

Re: Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (UPDATE: Models

Post by Hamers »

HugoPeters wrote:
Hamers wrote:Congrats dude!!! I was on vacation, so I couldn't check this thread in a while. Seems like you made some amazing progress :D
Glad to see you're back! You're gonna love this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW9b_UE9Pd4
Wow, that's utterly amazing that you can "hear" the entire scene like that already. I especially love all the additional info you already get like animation names, camera shots and effects synchronized to the scene, controller vibration and some script stuff like when to pre-load the next scene, change time of day etc.

Keep up the great work!
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

Hamers wrote:
HugoPeters wrote:
Hamers wrote:Congrats dude!!! I was on vacation, so I couldn't check this thread in a while. Seems like you made some amazing progress :D
Glad to see you're back! You're gonna love this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW9b_UE9Pd4
Wow, that's utterly amazing that you can "hear" the entire scene like that already. I especially love all the additional info you already get like animation names, camera shots and effects synchronized to the scene, controller vibration and some script stuff like when to pre-load the next scene, change time of day etc.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks, yeah it's really neat! You have no idea how hard it was to get subtitles working though! XD
Anyways, got something really cool coming up!

"I'm going to throw my shit at you" —The Great Mighty Poo
_______________________>> check my portfolio I wish the [center] bbcode was turned on
_______________________>> or my twitter
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

Update!

Alrighty, finally gotten around to take a look at the camera keyframe system, figured it out, and implemented it! Yay for camera keyframe animation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKManMXr-M4

_______________________>> check my portfolio I wish the [center] bbcode was turned on
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (UPDATE: Cameras

Post by JayK »

This is one of the best projects i've seen on Xentax, keep it up.
cra0
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by cra0 »

Wow shit thats cool great work PC port coming soon 8)
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

Update!

Alright, I'm now on vacation in Austria, but still going on Beyond!
So here's some early progress on area's!

Hamers
beginner

Re: Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (UPDATE: Area's!

Post by Hamers »

Holy shit you actually did it. That's extremely impressive. So I guess soon you will be able to replay the Broken chapter with full audio, the rough environment, static character models (?) and the cutscene camera all linked together using the timeline. Even without any characters at all this would be a pretty huge milestone, to actually see the rough scene in front of you and the camera moving through like it does in the final game :D :dance:
HugoPeters
veteran

Re: Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (UPDATE: Area's!

Post by HugoPeters »

Hamers wrote:Holy shit you actually did it. That's extremely impressive. So I guess soon you will be able to replay the Broken chapter with full audio, the rough environment, static character models (?) and the cutscene camera all linked together using the timeline. Even without any characters at all this would be a pretty huge milestone, to actually see the rough scene in front of you and the camera moving through like it does in the final game :D :dance:
TADAAAAA

Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfe22G5cxXI
EDIT: here's a better one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM9AqzbBhOg

So this is what they call a milestone?

What you see in the video is my program, loading in 2 areas (the "road" part isn't supported yet, sorry!), and then 8 "movies" (timeline things), which are then played after each other.

Everything you see and hear is coming from my program, no edits whatsoever.

THINGS TO NOTE:
+ It's very rough. No textures, no game defined lights, etc. Also, sorry for the z-buffer clipping spasts, not sure what's going on with that.
+ The camera is still a bit off
+ No correct measurement when a timeline has finished (especially visible in the "I know... They're coming." part).
+ Etc.

I'm going to experiment with Lua, and will probably end up doing another full rewrite, this time with the Lua engine implemented.
Last edited by HugoPeters on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michalss

Re: Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (UPDATE: SEQUENC

Post by michalss »

impressive work Hugo, i hope you gonna finnish it :)
Quick BMS Editor GUI - simple easy to use
Goto : viewtopic.php?uid=34229&f=29&t=6797&start=0

Downloads from DropBox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/
lion589
beginner

Post by lion589 »

That was impressive work you've done.
Hamers
beginner

Post by Hamers »

That is indeed a milestone. Congratz :D :D I figure animated objects are handled quite a bit differently compared to the static scene (lack of door, chair and cup)? Also I noticed that at 0:45-0:50 your camera is missing a shot (maybe it's tied to the character?) :D

Also what do you think about the street car scene? Is it on the same map as the police station or swapped in and out with the loading happening in the background? It also wouldn't surprise me if the street is very short and they just loop the one segment over and over again, they definitely do that in Hunted.
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

Hamers wrote:That is indeed a milestone. Congratz :D :D I figure animated objects are handled quite a bit differently compared to the static scene (lack of door, chair and cup)? Also I noticed that at 0:45-0:50 your camera is missing a shot (maybe it's tied to the character?) :D

Also what do you think about the street car scene? Is it on the same map as the police station or swapped in and out with the loading happening in the background? It also wouldn't surprise me if the street is very short and they just loop the one segment over and over again, they definitely do that in Hunted.
Thanks! The animated objects are handeled as characters. The static scenery is all in one big mesh collection, the "characters" (so also doors, chairs, etc.) can have animation, sounds, etc. They are added by the scene Lua script.

The shot that's missing is a bit hard to explain. If you look before the missing shot you see the camera is facing Jodie. Then in the game the shot facing the chief cop comes, and then it's back to Jodie. That shot of Jodie (before / after the cop) is one shot. As you may have noticed, the road part starts later in my version than in the game. That is because at the end of the scene you can see the camera shot that was the missing one. That one works as a "sub shot", it appears over another shot. Since I haven't implemented that yet, you can see missing shots here and there that then appear after the scene is over.

The street car scene is a separate area. The chapter "Broken" has one scene and three areas (POLICE_STATION, POLICE_STATION_ROAD and POLICE_STATION_BREAK). In the video I did it so that it loads the first and lasts area, but only activates the first one for all but the last "movie" (that's how one part of a sequence is called internally). When the last one starts (the "Too Late" part), it deactivates the first area and activates the last one. I had some trouble loading in the road part so I didn't bother fixing it before the video :P
Here is the code to load and play the movies/areas, so you can see just how hacky it is xD http://pastebin.com/67Lns7mU

HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

Okay, I fixed a lot of things in the engine, including the z-buffer fighting, lighting, but I also removed the last 2 camera shots from the interrogation part, and fixed the check
if the timeline is playing (at the "I know... they're coming" part), so now it matches perfectly with the audio!

Here's a new demo of the sequence playing, along with a nice "flythrough" of the area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM9AqzbBhOg

SPOILER: making a lot of progress on the Lua engine. It's looking promising!

And please, we need textures! If you know anyone who's good at that stuff (or if you're good at it) or at PPC / ELF disassembly, please let me know!

Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey »

HugoPeters wrote:And please, we need textures! If you know anyone who's good at that stuff (or if you're good at it) or at PPC / ELF disassembly, please let me know!
What with textures wrong?
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

Ekey wrote:
HugoPeters wrote:And please, we need textures! If you know anyone who's good at that stuff (or if you're good at it) or at PPC / ELF disassembly, please let me know!
What with textures wrong?
Nobody has found the texture compression format yet. Cra0, chrrox, howfie and a few others have looked at it already, but no luck.
I made a topic about them a little while ago: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11607
If you want I can send you a few samples!

[update]
Forget that last pic I posted, I remade it -again-, and this time I have something that's actually working!