Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Diablo 3 Animation files

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
LUBDAR
veteran

Re: Diablo 3 Animation files

Post by LUBDAR »

Hi guys, I just wanted to see how the program operated for other people. I have all the animations, and the .app file in the folder. I have the texture file included as a .dds file in there also but it doesn't seem to automatically load. It seems that I need to drag and drop the texture onto the model. Is this the case for everyone else?
Thanks in advance
TaylorMouse
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by TaylorMouse »

@wobble : I'll see what I can upload tonight

@lubdar: yes it is for everyone, for now,

I did write another script that searches in a hard coded path for textures based on the name of the model but it is not bullet proof. It works pretty fine for the non - animated models, but lacks its functionality for monsters and npc's :/

T.
LUBDAR
veteran

Post by LUBDAR »

Ahhh thanks, that's good to know. I think I should be alright, I moved everything into similar files and have just dumped similarly named files together and it works for the most part. I got the dds files for all the textures loaded in one location, so it's a pretty simple name matching process at the moment.

Thanks again for everyone's work on this!
kalmiya
beginner

Post by kalmiya »

I started writing some C++ code to parse .app files based on the maxscripts in this forum - tried parsing the bones and couldn't get it to match. The Bone-data should be (sizeBones/nBones = 13104 bytes / 42 bones = 310 bytes per bone). However none of the app_importers seemed to load that many.

So, I finally noticed the Adria.zip posted on the first page of this thread and behold, it's a different format ( this file can be read with 010-edit ). Apparently the Adria.app file I extracted yesterday from my install has 320 bytes bone-data and is in the 260 format ( 010 edit only partially parses it ).

TaylorMouse code for reading the bones reads 236 bytes - which matches to the Adria attached in one of the first post by him ( which is version 247 ).

The app_import I found from zerogravity ( jan 15 2014) reads 280 bytes for version 258 ( and seems to have backward compatibility code for older version - note that checking for >=258 is probably better than ==258).

Does anyone have more recent importers / info on the fileformat changes for Reaper of Souls ?

Small Update: It looks like there is one more quad-vec3-scale element ( 5 now ). This is followed by 36 bytes, then the (already know) particle-id followed by yet another 4 bytes.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wobble
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Wobble »

[out]
Last edited by Wobble on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalmiya
beginner

Post by kalmiya »

Wobble wrote:
kalmiya wrote:I started writing some C++ code to parse .app files based on the maxscripts in this forum
This is the animation thread. Diablo .app thread can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7337

Yes, .app format has slightly changed for v260. Bones and geosets have some small changes.

Still waiting for someone to post some Adria .ani animation files from Reaper of Souls.
Thanks for the reference to the app-thread.

Concerning models, attached the walk/run adria-models, v118 (0x76). They are newer than the ones on the first page - those were v112 (0x70). Not sure if that these are in the RS format though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wobble
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Wobble »

[out]
Last edited by Wobble on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealMethuselah
n00b

Post by TheRealMethuselah »

Unsure of what I'm doing wrong. I've tried running the script and I keep running into an error. I'm guessing because of the new format of the ROS models, but I'm unsure, as I downloaded his newest file.

Any help would be appreciated.

It works fine with the file that TaylorMouse posted, but none of the files I've tried.

"I'd love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code."
kalmiya
beginner

Post by kalmiya »

My guess would also be that it's due to the new RoS format. Just take a look at the header, then you can see which fileversion it actually is -
check out bytes 4-7 ( and convert those from hex to int ).

struct snoHeader
{
unsigned int tag; // 0xDEADBEEF - bytes 0-3
unsigned int ver; // .app => d3-base=247, d3-rs (beta)=258, d3-rs 260 - bytes 4-7
};

d3-base .ani's have v112 and for RoS it's v118.
TheRealMethuselah
n00b

You're always so helpful. I appreciate that.

I'm running into a new error after trying to come up with the fix:

0xDEADBEEF = There is no Cow Level ( Dead Beef ) ;)
kalmiya
beginner

Post by kalmiya »

I'm parsing the boneid as an unsigned int (C++ parser), and here I have -1 for the first bone ( = 0xFFFFFFFF ). Your value looks like minus-signed-int-max...

Check how your bones are being numbered ( 0-n or 1-n) i.e. Either you are "off" on parsing ( and you are trying to interpret some "trash" as a bone-id) or you should add change the !=0 check. Maybe try >0 && < numbones - instead of !=0 ( again, without thoroughly looking at what the code does, I'm just guessing)... Or maybe (as a debug-test) - just skip the first bone (to avoid the crash) and see if the values of the next bones make sense ( i.e. you would expect either 0 or 1 for the next parent-bone-id).
TheRealMethuselah
n00b

Are you able to actually get the .app to work with the .ani files in 3ds Max? If so, I'd love to take a look at that parser code.

I'm at work so I can't test anything here. Will get back with you when I get home.
kalmiya
beginner

Post by kalmiya »

I have a C++ parser which loads .app and .ani files into my little experimental engine - my goal is to see if I can get the bone-animation working. Made some progress, but nothing really usable yet. I have no experience with maxscript, so I can't help you there - besides giving some general advice. Maybe you should contact the original author of that script.
TheRealMethuselah
n00b

I've PMd them with a question. Hopefully, within a few days, I'll receive a response.

Keep us in the loop with what you come up with, my friend.

Can't wait until I can pose em'.

EDIT: Success!

kalmiya
beginner

Post by kalmiya »

Didn't post updates for some time - too busy with other things - but anyway, I also got it working now. Code is still a bit hackish and instead of rendering it (for testing-purposes) I just exported a few frames in .obj format and imported those in blender. Doesn't look quite as impressive as the above screenshots, but the framework is there :)

Here an example