Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Advanced C++: How to read DVD sectors

Coders and would-be coders alike, this is the place to talk about programming.
JohnHudeski
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Advanced C++: How to read DVD sectors

Post by JohnHudeski »

Hi guys
This is related to my earlier kengo thread. I have figured out a fool proof way to seperating models from animation files as they are currently using similar representations.
I played the game in pcsx2 and dumped out the logs from the dvd read. I was able to enter a mode that showed only animation of certain moves (move select mode) and the dvd consistently read the exact same sector when ever an animation is triggered.

If i know how to read dvd sectors in c++ i would be able to identify the files read and use it as a method to eliminate doubt.
JohnHudeski
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Advanced C++: How to read DVD sectors

Post by JohnHudeski »

Figured it out.

Some Hex Editors can read by sector but they often have fixed sizes 512, 1024 and 2048 . The size I seek is 2064 .
Manual labour
GMMan
veteran

Re: Advanced C++: How to read DVD sectors

Post by GMMan »

Just a guess: on Windows you may need to use DeviceIoControl() to send data directly to the DVD-ROM driver. Similarly on UNIX based systems, ioctl().
Currently researching: Alpha Prime scripting (AI and mods)
Queued: EE .cache repacking, CustomPak repacking, Gameloft Scrambled Zip multitool, GRAF Extractor Skeleton repacking, Gun Metal filenames CRC