Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Beyond: Two Souls | Luac scripts

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
HugoPeters
veteran

Beyond: Two Souls | Luac scripts

Post by HugoPeters »

As you may or may not know I've been reversing quite a lot of Beyond: Two Souls' structure. I understand how the game works for around 60% - 70%, but one major part that
is stopping me from reversing everything are the precompiled Lua scripts. They're scattered throughout the entire game and take care of almost -everything- besides the splash loading screen.

Here's a small demo of what I can do right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D59SAbFSIoU

The scripts still contain all variable names and such, so once they are decompiled further reversing of the game should go pretty smoothly.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post direct links to sample files here, so I won't do that, but if you want a few sample files please send me a PM.

Here is a screenshot of the format:

It begins with 0x1b and then "Lua" and 0x51. This is the standard Luac header. The whole thing looks pretty standard to me but LuaDec throws vague errors on it and my own decompiler outputs bogus, so I'm not sure what's going on here. The format is in Big Endian.

I would be very grateful if anyone wants to try to get this working :D
As a sidenote, I also have Elf assembly that I'd love to see decompiled :D

Thanks in advance,

Hugo
Last edited by HugoPeters on Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm going to throw my shit at you" —The Great Mighty Poo
_______________________>> check my portfolio I wish the [center] bbcode was turned on
_______________________>> or my twitter
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Beyond: Two Souls | Luac scripts

Post by JayK »

Did you try deleting everything up to .LuaQ and then running luadec on it? Do you mind sending me a sample.
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

JayK wrote:Did you try deleting everything up to .LuaQ and then running luadec on it? Do you mind sending me a sample.
Yes, that was the first thing I tried.
First LuaDec throws an error about an incorrect header. When changing some value in the header (can't remember which) the error changes to something about an incorrect constant.

I sent you some samples!

_______________________>> check my portfolio I wish the [center] bbcode was turned on
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

Thanks for the samples, using unluac I can get an output. The size of the lua file is the long behind the .LuaQ magic. Save it as its own file and run unluac on it. Not sure how accurate the output is, but it looks as it should be.

HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

JayK wrote:Thanks for the samples, using unluac I can get an output. The size of the lua file is the long behind the .LuaQ magic. Save it as its own file and run unluac on it. Not sure how accurate the output is, but it looks as it should be.

That's fucking awesome! Thanks!!
I did try unluac, but I couldn't get the jar to work. Guess I'll be giving that another go then!! :D :D