Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
MrAdults

Re: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by MrAdults »

-4.0965 - Added named user vertex streams. Named streams can specify raw data as per-vertex or per-mesh/instance, and can be provided to the RPGeo interface using rpgBindUserDataBuffer, or immUserData in immediate mode. To specify that a stream is per-instance, simply provide a data stride of 0. User data streams will not be modified or processed in any way, and will be passed along the export path as-is. Attaching per-instance streams to draws can also be useful as it allows you to pass through your own custom arbitrary data structures. I recommend giving your user streams reasonably unique names. For example, instead of naming something "verts" where another script might have created a like-named user stream to hold differently-formatted data, name it something like "yourscriptname_custom_vert_data".
-4.0965 - Added -fbxnoesidecar. This enables reading/writing of .noefbx files when importing/exporting FBX. A .noefbx file will be generated if the model being exported contains custom user stream data, so that the data can be preserved across export/import of the resulting FBX.
-4.0965 - Added readDouble, readInt64, readUInt64, writeDouble, writeInt64, and writeUInt64 functions to NoeBitStream.
-4.0965 - Better handling for when someone decides it's a good idea to turn a high-detail skeletally animated model into a 4GB Quake MDL.
-4.0964 - Fixed various buffer overflows which could occur in legacy print functions.
-4.0963 - Fixed a z precision issue in BC5 decoding.
-4.0963 - Fixed a bug in calculating BC4 size that caused recent DXT safeguards to refuse to decode data.
-4.0963 - Added a "Force software DXT decode" option in the data viewer.
-4.0962 - Added Noesis_ConvertDXTEx, and failsafed more of the DXT code scattered throughout Noesis.
-4.0962 - MvC3 vertex weighting fix.
-4.0962 - Added NPAPI_SelectDataViewerBone.
-4.0961 - Fixed a possible crash when untiling unaligned DXT data.
-4.096 - Added a new "Default tool plugins" option. This is a semicolon-delimited list of tools that you want to be automatically invoked when you start Noesis or reload plugins.
-4.096 - Added NPAPI_SelectDataViewerMeshMaterial. Does the same thing as NPAPI_SelectDataViewerMesh, but goes directly to the mesh's material instead of the mesh.
-4.096 - Added NOESISBUTTON_ALT for tool input callbacks.
-4.096 - Fixed a problem with Noesis_CopyInternalTransforms failing when not every mesh in the model has a transform buffer.
-4.096 - Added Noesis_GetMeshInternalProperties.
-4.0959 - Added options for "Disable anisotropic filtering" and "Disable hardware mipmaps".
Also, since no one checks the plugins repo, the triangle picker has seen some updates and is actually very useful now. It has alt+click functionality to highlight meshes in the data viewer, as well as mesh materials and bones by strongest influence to selected triangle.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

January: around 1500 unique hits on any version of Noesis, good for around half of total bandwidth of XeNTaX! :ninja:
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Not too shabby. And that's not including the bandwidth for the in-app auto-update packages that live on my server.
Demonsangel
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Demonsangel »

Too bad it's mostly leechers, but if it helps spread the word it's not bad I guess.
Markemp
veteran

Post by Markemp »

I've probably been sending a lot of people to Noesis through my tutorial videos and some posts. Is there something I can do to help encourage people to not leech?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Markemp wrote:I've probably been sending a lot of people to Noesis through my tutorial videos and some posts. Is there something I can do to help encourage people to not leech?
No worries.
Markemp
veteran

Post by Markemp »

Mr.Mouse wrote:
Markemp wrote:I've probably been sending a lot of people to Noesis through my tutorial videos and some posts. Is there something I can do to help encourage people to not leech?
No worries.
It's money. I worry. ;)

I'll include a link to the donate button, if that's ok. Something along the lines of "Support your local modders, pony up bitches".
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php ... _about.php is for donating to me/Noesis. I don't receive anything from xentax donations, although that helps keep the forums running I guess.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

MrAdults wrote:http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php ... _about.php is for donating to me/Noesis. I don't receive anything from xentax donations, although that helps keep the forums running I guess.
Indeed. And enables the downloads (tools, noesis etc) for the public. Still, we're in a niche, and we don't get rich (not in the least bit, lol :frizzy: , that would be awesome though, but NO. :x ). So I fully support the idea of the Noesis users to throw some cash Rich's way. I'll make a post about it.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11239

Support the development of Noesis people! Donate to our fine author, Rich! :rock: :drunken: :hippy:
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Thanks. The grand total number of people that have ever donated to me still rings in at 3. I've had a few who apparently donated to Xentax and therefore felt entitled to Noesis feature support because they thought that money was somehow getting to me, though. It would be nice if I received enough to cover my own hosting costs, but people have no direct incentive to give me money so that probably isn't going to happen. Avalanche got like 30,000 downloads as well, and continues to eat about 200GB in bandwidth a month on my server, but not a single person has been inspired to throw money at me for that either.

It's kinda sad how much you have to shove it in people's faces if you want them to actually donate or contribute. Maybe we should start making starving coder "in the arms of the angels" YouTube promo videos. Donate today and help make my family fatter by contributing to our "too lazy to make real food" fast food fund. The first donator to put me over the line of obesity will receive a free t-shirt.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Those that donate to us and then start asking favors for this or that don't get the point of donating. A point I made very clear also to users of MultiEx Commander. Nobody is buying anything from us, so they don't get any rights on the stuff hosted here. We welcome their support, but can not be inclined to support them with their issues just because they donated.
And that's even different from those that download all kinds of free stuff and then start harassing authors "This feature doesn't work! FIX IT!", "Why is there no support for my game???", "Can you add this feature that will take you a hell of a time to get in, like, YESTERDAY??", "Your tool sucks! I can't run it on my files, I don't know where my command line is! Which number do I dial?", "I tried your tool for *.DAT files from Game A on my *.DAT files from Game B, and it fails!! How can this be? Support me, NOW"... etc etc... et.. oh well.
MofoMan2000
ultra-n00b

Post by MofoMan2000 »

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. I really want to say what a great program Noesis is, I've never had it crash and it does exactly what it says it does.

I'm having an issue, though. Valve SMD files contain either animations or meshes, but not both. I'm wondering if it isn't possible to apply the animation from one SMD onto the mesh defined in another?

Fantastic program though, Rich. I'll be happy to kick a few bucks your way, you've more than earned it. That t-shirt is MINE.
Markemp
veteran

Post by Markemp »

Mr.Mouse wrote:Those that donate to us and then start asking favors for this or that don't get the point of donating. A point I made very clear also to users of MultiEx Commander. Nobody is buying anything from us, so they don't get any rights on the stuff hosted here. We welcome their support, but can not be inclined to support them with their issues just because they donated.
And that's even different from those that download all kinds of free stuff and then start harassing authors "This feature doesn't work! FIX IT!", "Why is there no support for my game???", "Can you add this feature that will take you a hell of a time to get in, like, YESTERDAY??", "Your tool sucks! I can't run it on my files, I don't know where my command line is! Which number do I dial?", "I tried your tool for *.DAT files from Game A on my *.DAT files from Game B, and it fails!! How can this be? Support me, NOW"... etc etc... et.. oh well.
You should sell support contracts. $250 for a 1 year contract, or something like that. ;)

Tell them they'll get a number to call when they purchase a contract.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

MofoMan2000 wrote:Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. I really want to say what a great program Noesis is, I've never had it crash and it does exactly what it says it does.

I'm having an issue, though. Valve SMD files contain either animations or meshes, but not both. I'm wondering if it isn't possible to apply the animation from one SMD onto the mesh defined in another?

Fantastic program though, Rich. I'll be happy to kick a few bucks your way, you've more than earned it. That t-shirt is MINE.
Thanks. :)

I recall SMD having sequence SMD's and geometry SMD's separated by spec back when I wrote the parser, which I thought was weird. I don't know if there are newer/different standards now that dictate the two can be combined in a single SMD, but if you just want to take a geometry SMD and apply animations to it when exporting to a separate format (like FBX or whatever), Noesis allows you to do that. You can drag and drop the sequence SMD over the open model preview window to apply it in-memory and then use "export from preview", or you can use -loadanim when exporting the geometry SMD to specify sequence SMD to be used for animations. Both of those approaches work for any geometry + any animation format.