Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Evolution Engine Cache Extractor

Programs that are related to this or that game.
GMMan
veteran

Evolution Engine Cache Extractor

Post by GMMan »

Download from Tools Blog (Source code included)

This program allows you to extract cache files (.toc/.cache) from games using Digital Extremes' Evolution Engine. Just drag and drop a cache file on to the program and it will extract it into a subdirectory containing the file name. Make sure both .toc and .cache files are in the same folder. You can also specify where you want the files to be extracted using the /d switch.

Why use this instead of the Darkness II BMS? Because this keeps the proper directory structure and actually properly decompresses all the files. If you tried to extract the caches from any recent Evolution Engine games, the BMS script will produce junk.

Note: This extractor only works on version 20 caches. If you have a different version cache, send me a PM.

Other notes: 'H' caches contain file headers, 'B' caches contain the corresponding binary files (except for sounds, and maybe textures), and 'F' caches contain full sound files and textures. Also note that file extensions typically don't mean anything in these cache files. Those extensions are from before the files were cooked and compiled, so .fbx files are not in Autodesk FBX format, .wav files don't have WAVE headers, and .png files are not PNGs.

Version history:
[1.0.1.0 09/18/2013]
- Changed boilerplate console app text left over from app template (oops)
- Optimized LZ coder decoding (just a little bit, maybe)
- Writes file date from the TOC on to the extracted file
- Added some debugging workarounds (won't affect operation)
- Added cache version 16 to extractable versions (not fully tested; PM if you have any problems)
- Extractor can take filenames without the extension (e.g. "H.Font" instead of "H.Font.cache" or "H.Font.toc")

[1.0 09/17/2013]
- Initial release
Last edited by GMMan on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently researching: Alpha Prime scripting (AI and mods)
Queued: EE .cache repacking, CustomPak repacking, Gameloft Scrambled Zip multitool, GRAF Extractor Skeleton repacking, Gun Metal filenames CRC
pixellegolas
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Evolution Engine Cache Extractor

Post by pixellegolas »

Trying the extractor but cannot get it to work. I use it on the latest update and on an old version I kept on the harddrive. Folders are there but no png can be seen. Most pngs in different folders are named like this:

0_I_l1.png
0_l0.png
0_l1.png
1_l0.png
1_l1.png
GMMan
veteran

Post by GMMan »

What game are you extracting from? The files I've extracted from Warframe seem to have intelligible names. Also look at what I've mentioned in the first post. The .pngs are probably not PNGs. The ones in Warframe look like they could be uncompressed ARGB. When the extractor is working, check the console to see if it's giving any errors.
Queued: EE .cache repacking, CustomPak repacking, Gameloft Scrambled Zip multitool, GRAF Extractor Skeleton repacking, Gun Metal filenames CRC
GMMan
veteran

Post by GMMan »

I've posted an update at the tools blog. It has a couple of new features, as outlined in the first post.
pixellegolas
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by pixellegolas »

Yeah I think I missed that small text about the fbx, pngs etc :) It is warframe I have and probably extracts exactly how it should. So what do we do with the files to make them work? Some more codedigging?
hoodlum47
beginner

Post by hoodlum47 »

Um, is The Darkness 2 supported? Because the program keeps telling me that it can't read the archive.
GMMan
veteran

Post by GMMan »

I apparently forgot to move the latest build to the zip, so if you're seeing the program making new ".cache.cache" and ".cache.toc" files, download it again (from the same post). Also, make sure you have write access to both the cache files and the path you're extracting files to.
hoodlum47 wrote:Um, is The Darkness 2 supported? Because the program keeps telling me that it can't read the archive.
It probably has a different cache version. If the BMS script is to be trusted, this version could be using a different compression algorithm than later games. Send me a sample.
hoodlum47
beginner

Post by hoodlum47 »

It probably has a different cache version. If the BMS script is to be trusted, this version could be using a different compression algorithm than later games. Send me a sample.
Actually, your "fixed" version seems to be doing the trick now. :)
musterfox
ultra-n00b

Post by musterfox »

Hi.

Trying to find some way to extract the music from Dark Sector (Steam Version).

I tried using the "Evolution Engine Cache Extractor 1.0.1.0" tool but I ran into a couple of issues.

1) The Steam ver of DS does not have any .toc files, just .cache files whereas your first post says "Make sure both .toc and .cache files are in the same folder."

2) When I drag a .cache file onto EvolutionUnpack.exe, all it does it create a .toc file with the same name and its always a zero byte file. There is no sign of the extracted data.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong so I can extract the music files from DS.

Thanks in advance. :)
GMMan
veteran

Post by GMMan »

musterfox wrote:1) The Steam ver of DS does not have any .toc files, just .cache files whereas your first post says "Make sure both .toc and .cache files are in the same folder."
Interesting. Could you PM me a sample?
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

Hi GMMan. I'm trying to write maxscript to import models from Warframe online, and it seems that textures aren't extracted correctly from this game with Evolution Extractor, maybe you could fix this issue in future? It will help me greatly, thanks for great tool!
Making model-import scripts, PM
pixellegolas
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by pixellegolas »

so .fbx files are not in Autodesk FBX format, .wav files don't have WAVE headers, and .png files are not PNGs.
The next thing to do is to figure out these new files that are spitted out but that is same amount of work again :)

I am also hoping because they keep adding cooler and cooler robots in warframe but lets see
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

I have some progress with meshes, it's will be great if textures will extract fine and we could convert them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GMMan
veteran

Post by GMMan »

zaramot wrote:Hi GMMan. I'm trying to write maxscript to import models from Warframe online, and it seems that textures aren't extracted correctly from this game with Evolution Extractor, maybe you could fix this issue in future? It will help me greatly, thanks for great tool!
I actually don't know what format textures are in. As far as I can tell they look like some sort of raw file. It's been a long time since I've touched any Revolution Engine stuff, but I think the extractor's working properly, since there were no warnings from the decompressed size check the last time I extracted various caches.

If I can find time I might add repacking into the program. If anyone needs it fast, I'll make a new version that will pack uncompressed.
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

Hello GMMan. Thanks a lot for support and info. To say truth, I really hoped it's some issues from Cache Extractor side :) Because in this case there was hope, that you can fix this. If textures extracted right, I have no idea what to do with them to convert into any known format.
Last edited by zaramot on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.