Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Zlib compression.....

Read or post about compression. And decompression. Or ask questions how to decompress your files.
jasmine
VIP member
VIP member

Zlib compression.....

Post by jasmine »

Can anyone tell me why a compressed file, namely .res files in WWE XXI, will not compress back to their original filesize when using Zlib? I've tried compression method 9(which is the best compression), using deflateInit2 with every parameter I can think of(including the newest RLE compression) and even recompiling Zlib.dll. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Surely, if the original file is compressed with Zlib you should be able to get it back to that size after decompression. I've tried different versions of Zlib, too. Any suggestions?
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Well, there are a few things to consider: Different compression programs, even compressing using the same method, will often give you different results. Also, were you just decompressing, and then compressing immediately after, or did you edit the decompressed file?
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
jasmine
VIP member
VIP member

Post by jasmine »

Just decompressing and immediately compressing. There is a parameter of Zlib compression I'm just not understanding.
Storm
beginner

Post by Storm »

I've noticed some of this when I edit files with MultiEx, the files I'm not editing, when rebuilding the archive, it sometimes gets bigger. I don't really know why it happens or how to fix it in any case. If you find out, please post.

P.S. What programming language are you using? or just command lines?
CSX Modding Team
--Website Coming Soon--
Full-fledged MultiEx Supporter
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Storm wrote:I've noticed some of this when I edit files with MultiEx, the files I'm not editing, when rebuilding the archive, it sometimes gets bigger. I don't really know why it happens or how to fix it in any case. If you find out, please post.

P.S. What programming language are you using? or just command lines?
I think this has something to do with me being an idiot and there being a bug in MultiEx Commander. I have fixed that one though for the next release. :D

Post by Guest »

Nice to hear! :mrgreen:
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Sorry, that was me... :cry:
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.