Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Request for Raptor - Call of the Shadows GLB-file

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
MadMartin
ultra-n00b

Request for Raptor - Call of the Shadows GLB-file

Post by MadMartin »

Hi everyone,

I've just stumbled upon my old copy of Raptor - Call of the Shadows. A great yet simple vertical scroller where you control a jet and shoot masses of enemies. Although this game's over a decade old, I'd like to try out if it's modable. Starting with the archive files, significant by their file size...

After making some unsuccessful google researches about those archive files ( FILE0000.GLB e.g. ) I decided to decipher the file format by myself. At this time I've not been able to gather much information, but while I'm keeping on with it, I wanted to ask if s.o. here has attempted to decipher the format or knows s.th. about it.

At http://www.3drealms.com/raptor/index.html you can download the demo version, if interested.

By the time of this post, I've gathered the following infos:
- files start with 4-bytes header identifier: 64 9B D1 09
- there seems not be an index of files in clear text, neither at the beginning nor the end, perhaps encrypted?
- file data seems not to be encrypted, or at least not every file (??)

- files found in FILE0000.GLB at this time:
DMXGUS, start offset: 0x598B, size: 0x18A7 (identified not by filename given in archive, but by google research; often named GUSMIDI.INI or s.th. like that if not in archive)
OPL_II lump (not sure, is this a file?; seems to hold some info about some instrument patches), start offset: 0x7232, size: 0x2E84 (identified not by filename given in archive, but by google research)

music files similar to the doom-music format (specs at: http://edge.sourceforge.net/edit_guide/doom_specs.htm)
start offset size
0x11273 0xAA
0x1131D 0x317
0x11634 0xCE1
0x12315 0x87A
0x12B8F 0x108F
0x13C1E 0x3453
0x17071 0x12FB
0x1836C 0x1632
0x1999E 0x1F31
0x1B8CF 0x2439
0x1DD08 0x17DC
0x1F4E4 0x18FB
0x20DDF 0xA73
0x21852 0x2184
0x239D6 0x4F3

This first file, FILE0000.GLB, seems to hold sound and music data. The ASCII-text forming some weird patterns after those MUS files seems to be familiar, but I'm not exactly sure where it comes from. Perhaps s.o.'s got an idea? The other files also show patterns, some similar to bitmaps. By now I've not been successful in finding some files in there.

I know that this info is not that much, but as I mentioned already, this post is a attempt somewhat parallel to my own investigations. Perhaps it will reveal some info, hm? Would be nice if s.o. with more experience and some free time :) would give it a try...

If you have trouble playing it, try the Dosbox. It runs good within...

greetings
Martin
Malvineous
beginner

Re: Request for Raptor - Call of the Shadows GLB-file

Post by Malvineous »

Sorry about digging up such an old topic, but I was just going to post the same question anyway.

Does anyone know if any progress has been made in the last five years with this file format?
Malvineous
beginner

Post by Malvineous »

I've just had a closer look at this format, and this is what I have discovered so far:

Only the FAT (the list of filenames and offsets) is encrypted. This is the first 43008 bytes of the file, which is 768 file entries of 56 bytes each.

I have only managed to partially decrypt so far. By taking each byte, then subtracting the previous byte, you end up with a file that seems to have a phrase repeated with bits missing. This is a classic XOR cipher, with the key "32768GLB". This key appears in the .exe file, along with "32768SH".

If I XOR with this key the data clears up considerably, but there is still another layer of encryption as no filenames appear yet, but the 56-byte structure is clearly visible.

EDIT: The first file in FILE0001.GLB is at offset 0xA800 (immediately after the FAT) and is an unencrypted 768-byte VGA palette. The FAT might actually be in entries of 28 bytes, but every second entry is XOR crypted with the hex key 75 7B 74 0B. At least running this over every second lot of 28 bytes makes them look the same as the other lot of 28 bytes!
Malvineous
beginner

Post by Malvineous »

Last post - I've successfully reverse engineered this file format. I am in the process of writing up an explanation for the full encryption algorithm and the file structures, which will appear shortly on the ModdingWiki page for the GLB format.