Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Guild Wars

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
nicoli_s
advanced

Guild Wars

Post by nicoli_s »

any chance you could look into the GW .dat format? I'd post a link to one of the archives, but you only have one archive which is the entire install and mine is currently 200+ megs. but if youd like to dl the client (93 kb) ill lend one of the admins my acct to get a small archive
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Use the Filecutter instead (click link in my signature)
nicoli_s
advanced

Post by nicoli_s »

i couldnt get that to work for some reason, but I found out you don't need an acct to download the client, it can be done at the GW home page.

http://www.guildwars.com/downloads/GwSetup.zip
nicoli_s
advanced

Post by nicoli_s »

any progress on this? me and a few friends have been attempting some work on it, heres the thread with our info

http://undev.org/forum_viewtopic.php?4.58

hope we can work together to crack it!
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Ok, check out my preliminary specs at the Work In Progress page of Guild Wars at the XeNTaX WIKI.

http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/WIP_Guild_Wars

Please let your gang join up and help figure it out there! :D
AnonAMouse
n00b

gw.dat decompression.

Post by AnonAMouse »

decompression easy, extraction harder.
gw.exe -image to download the decompressed gw.dat

I also refer you to my post on this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1645&postdays=0&postord ... s&start=15
Which has a similar discussion.
Bioscope
beginner

Guild Wars

Post by Bioscope »

Try extracting only riff, then open in a wave editor like cooleditpro. I found this way with FACTIONS preorder client, using extractor 2.4. I found a good 22050 wave file between noise when opening a riff, then just edited out, saved as pcm wave.

LMK
AnonAMouse
n00b

Found a very interesting zip file!

Post by AnonAMouse »

Found a very interesting zip file here: ftp://ftp.plaync.com/Source/XDeltaWithNCsoftMods1.zip
This seems to contain information on all of NCSoft compression techniques, hope this is useful to some people.

Edit:-
Some of the sub info points here: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1951.txt
And that in turn points here: ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png/documents ... index.html

I did notice this however:
RFC 1951: DEFLATE 1.3 specification
Abstract: This specification defines a lossless compressed data format that compresses data using a combination of the LZ77 algorithm and Huffman coding, with efficiency comparable to the best currently available general-purpose compression methods. The data can be produced or consumed, even for an arbitrarily long sequentially presented input data stream, using only an a priori bounded amount of intermediate storage. The format can be implemented readily in a manner not covered by patents.
So it may possibly be Deflate AKA a combination of the LZ77 algorithm and Huffman coding.

Just trying my best to help.
Last edited by AnonAMouse on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darkstar
advanced

Post by Darkstar »

I did take a (quick) look at it, but it seems the changes NCsoft made to the source code are rather trivial and have nothing to do with GW.DAT compression (it still is only an XDelta implementation, after all).
Check out the REWiki!