Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Dead or Alive series formats and tools

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Dead or Alive series formats and tools

Post by Darko »

kasake wrote:
b0ny wrote:seems like importing models from blender to 3dmax is not a good idea for now. but maybe you could use some other program to transfer the model - unity or something. afaik unity has great compatibility with both 3dmax and blender(it can load blend files), so a better idea is to find a way to import the model from blender to unity then from unity to 3dmax.

but of course using an importing plugin for 3dmax(or maya) is much better, coz 3dmax is directx compatible, and game models mostly are directx things(tmc models are). blender don't use normals/tangents/binormals/... that are very important for how the model will look in the end.
I'll look into Unity, thanks.
Darko wrote:I use blender to get the models, save the file in the location I want (normally I create a folder with the same name of the character and the number of the costume) and extract the textures there. After that I export the model in fbx (bones and weights) and obj (materials) scalling both of them to 100, reconvert them with noesis to the same formats in order to eliminate any compatibility issue in max (I use max 2008), and the last step is to import fist the fbx file (changing 1 to cm's), rotate it and export it to smd. The same thing with the obj model, just assigning textures, join the meshes in one editable mesh and weld it by 0.001, export it to smd and I use riggomatic to transfer vertex weights and I get a rigged clean model with materials. If someone needs riggomatic by magnum, you can download an exe version from my skydrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=FFBE4E57 ... 49FCBE!177

If the model has an issue (ie hitomi cheer leader) or you have problems with some characters hair, I use a model exported with chrox noesis plugin.

Edit:

It's something similar to the tutorial I posted in the NG3RE thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8867&start=435

I'm doing a tutorial tomorrow detailing the process to get models correctly in 3ds max.
Holy moly that is one length process. I'll look forward to your tutorial!
Just to know, What version of max you're using?
b0ny
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by b0ny »

Darko wrote:... do you know how to aply the dirt textures??
dirt textures often use a different from 0 UV set. and i can't identify how the UV sets are linked to textures
Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko »

b0ny wrote:
Darko wrote:... do you know how to aply the dirt textures??
dirt textures often use a different from 0 UV set. and i can't identify how the UV sets are linked to textures
Ok, thanks for the answer.

For the tutorial, sorry for the delay, but I had to do somethings today and I couldn't do it.
tcl36478655
beginner

Post by tcl36478655 »

hey,i have fixed some bug about mario's lastest scripts,like some obj's position,extract dds ect.I hope it is still helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kasake
n00b

Post by kasake »

I tried importing a blender file into Unity3d, and I don't think the results are any better. When I try to manually re-apply the textures on the preexisting material slots, the UV mapping is all disoriented. I am also having a lot of trouble trying to export the model as an .OBJ file (apparently the only type of file Unity3d can export with a 3rd party script in which 3dsmax can read).
tcl36478655 wrote:hey,i have fixed some bug about mario's lastest scripts,like some obj's position,extract dds ect.I hope it is still helpful.
Hey tcl, I tried out that script and I'm getting the same results as a couple posts ago with Helena_cos_1.
Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko »

Time for tutorial. Ok, most of you should be wondering how to get DOA5 models in 3ds max using bony's script. The process it's a little bit tedious but gives the best results (for me at least). What we need is:

Smd format importers and exporters for 3ds max because is the format we're working on

http://www.wunderboy.org/
http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm

I usually use cannonfodder importer and wunderboy exporter (weird, but it's the best for me).

Rig-o-matic by Hunter, I have an exe version of that tool in my skydrive (thanks to the REforums for that one):

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=FFBE4E57 ... 49FCBE!177

Depending what version of max you're using, guruwave plugin:

http://www.guruware.at/main/

And noesis with DOA5, this eliminates whatever problem of compatibility you might have, and It's usefull for some hair meshes:

http://oasis.xentax.com/

First, open blender, import the tmc's you want, save the blend file in whatever location you want and unpack the textures (file - external data -unpack into files). This will create a folder called textures with all the textures of the tmc file you imported. If there's a texture you have problems with, convert it to tga with noesis.

The second thing to do is to export our model into something that max can import. I could'nt find how to export a full rigged model with materials to fbx in blender 2.67b, so we're going to export the model twice in 2 different formats: wavefront and fbx. When exporting to obj, make sure to have this settings:

Change your scale factor to 100 and export it inside the folder called textures. Same thing for fbx, change the scale factor to 100 taking care of exporting the armature (bones) and the meshes.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5454/70t9.jpg

With this, we have one model rigged and another one with materials. Reexport both files with noesis in order to avoid any problem of compatibility in max (obj to obj and fbx to fbx, don't add any more options while exporting). In 3dsmax, we're going to import the fbx generated in noesis, in the units select cm and click import.

Delete "OPT_acs_ground" helper (not needed), select all (ctr-a), group (group-group), choose the rotation tool, set transform coordinate center in your perspective view (changes the pivot to the center of the grid) and rotate 90 degrees in your x axis:

Ungroup your model (group - ungroup) and export it as whatever you want .smd (inside the same folder as before). This is the reference model where we're getting vertex weights, so you could export it as reference.smd.

Reset your scene, Import now the obj generated by noesis with guruwave obj plugin and make sure that the import as single object is unselected:

Repeat the same process as before (group, change your pivot to the center of the grid, rotate 90 degrees and ungroup). Delete all the back meshes from the hair (easy task in some models, hard thing in other models where some meshes come with combined normals, in those cases I recomend using a hair mesh exported with chroxx noesis plugin, it exports it really clean).

The final thing is to assign textures, select a part oh the model and in you modifier options select attach list and select all the meshes from the list with the following settings:

Once your meshes are attached in a single mesh, click in the vertex icon, select all verteces (crt+a) and weld by 0.001.

Export the model as receptor.smd (name is optional) and now run rig-o-matic.exe. Select the required smd files and press rig. The process can last from some minutes to one hour, depending on the number of faces. When the process is over, we're getting a files called: receptor_rigged.smd, with correct normals, bones, vertex weights and materials.

Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko »

The model imported in max and I rotated the jaw to show the correct weights.
tcl36478655
beginner

Post by tcl36478655 »

kasake wrote: Hey tcl, I tried out that script and I'm getting the same results as a couple posts ago with Helena_cos_1.
ok,I'll check it. :]
----------------------
here is the fixed file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko »

tcl36478655 wrote:
kasake wrote: Hey tcl, I tried out that script and I'm getting the same results as a couple posts ago with Helena_cos_1.
ok,I'll check it. :]
----------------------
here is the fixed file.
Does it fix the UV problems that Mario's script has??

Edit: no, tried with kasumi's face and the eyes have no uv's. Tried Kasumi and Crhistie faces and both have weights problems.
tcl36478655
beginner

Post by tcl36478655 »

Darko wrote:

Edit: no, tried with kasumi's face and the eyes have no uv's. Tried Kasumi and Crhistie faces and both have weights problems.
:D I just use that script for modding body, so I have not tested those problems which you metion yet.
And I know little about 3dmax or Mod, so how i judge the UV is right.
just like mario has set:
for j = 1 to uvwArray1.count do setTVert msh j uvwArray1[j]
for j = 1 to faceArray.count do setTVFace msh j faceArray[j]
for j = 1 to normArray.count do setNormal msh j normArray[j]
if uvwArray2.count!=0 do
(
meshop.setNumMaps msh 3 keep:true
for j = 1 to uvwArray2.count do (meshOp.setMapVert msh 2 j uvwArray2[j])
)
if uvwArray3.count!=0 do
(
meshop.setNumMaps msh 4 keep:true
for j = 1 to uvwArray3.count do (meshOp.setMapVert msh 3 j uvwArray3[j])
)
if uvwArray3.count!=0 do
(
meshop.setNumMaps msh 5 keep:true
for j = 1 to uvwArray4.count do (meshOp.setMapVert msh 4 j uvwArray3[j])
)
but in fact I don't know how to check these result...=_=|||
Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko »

tcl36478655 wrote:
Darko wrote:

:D I just use that script for modding body, so I have not tested those problems which you metion yet.
And I know little about 3dmax or Mod, so how i judge the UV is right.
just like mario has set:
for j = 1 to uvwArray1.count do setTVert msh j uvwArray1[j]
for j = 1 to faceArray.count do setTVFace msh j faceArray[j]
for j = 1 to normArray.count do setNormal msh j normArray[j]
if uvwArray2.count!=0 do
(
meshop.setNumMaps msh 3 keep:true
for j = 1 to uvwArray2.count do (meshOp.setMapVert msh 2 j uvwArray2[j])
)
if uvwArray3.count!=0 do
(
meshop.setNumMaps msh 4 keep:true
for j = 1 to uvwArray3.count do (meshOp.setMapVert msh 3 j uvwArray3[j])
)
if uvwArray3.count!=0 do
(
meshop.setNumMaps msh 5 keep:true
for j = 1 to uvwArray4.count do (meshOp.setMapVert msh 4 j uvwArray3[j])
)
but in fact I don't know how to check these result...=_=|||
Lol thanks.

For bony, when I check the "remove unwanted obects" in your doa4 importer, it doesn't import anything o.O'
tcl36478655
beginner

Post by tcl36478655 »

I don't understand that Mario has calculated val=(val[1],va[2],va[3],val[4]),but in fact he just set uv1=val[1],uw1=val[2],and lost which val[3]\val[4] is another pair of data different with val[1]\val[2].
b0ny
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by b0ny »

Darko wrote: For bony, when I check the "remove unwanted obects" in your doa4 importer, it doesn't import anything o.O'
maybe i should give this option a more descriptive name(and tooltip), it's tooltip says: "remove everything but the hipoly model", and what it does, is removes all objects that are not related to the character's high poly skeleton. and it will work right, only for the skins(which have a high poly armature).

as for the 3dmax importing script, it's not decoding the d3d types corectly. here i fixed the decoding of the d3d types. compare the new/old script with a file-compare tool in text mode to see the difference (i edited the script provided by tcl36478655)

TMC Praser fix2.ms

Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko »

News about DOA5U, the quickbms scripts don't work on DOA5U files.
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

Yep, I tried the other unpacker as well w/out success. I'm guessing file alteration or they renamed all of the files again. :-/ Initially the .lnk structure looks the same, but who knows if the original containers have any alterations at this point for cross referencing. :-/

I checked the marketplace and most older costumes are unlock codes now, so I bet all of the past DLC is on the disc now. The chara_common is now close to 2GB.

I also attempted to play the game from my modded system, but it crashed, I havent' deleted DOA5 data yet, to see if that is interfering.