Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Zone 66 compression format

Read or post about compression. And decompression. Or ask questions how to decompress your files.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Re: Zone 66 compression format

Post by Darkfox »

Good, good, glad things are getting back to some normalcy! :D Though I feel bad for those people who's places went under...

And that is good to hear! The V2 DRO support has me excited. The only way for some games to get the music is to use DosBox (Shakii the Wolf). So a preemptive thanks there. :)
john_doe
VIP member
VIP member

Post by john_doe »

Sorry, got busy with other stuff (luckily no flooding here).
I can't say when I'll continue with the project but I expect it to bee soon-ish.
I'm also planning to add XML import/export just for fun, so other tools could use the XML data instead of implementing the low-level read/write code themselves, and later one can recreate the game files from the XML.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Hey! Glad to hear your doing well. XML for fun, eh? That sounds like an interesting way to go about it. Like turning it into a readable text code that can later be compiled back into the data file. In any case, I am looking forward to the results. Thanks for the update! :]
Mikemc
ultra-n00b

Post by Mikemc »

Since you have access to the tiles, would there be a chance of you posting a complete tileset image? I'd like to make some maps, if only just to look at :).

- Mike
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Well, as john_doe said, a complete editor will be coming eventually, he's been busy with other things. This will include a ship, map, tile, gun emplacement, possible selection screen, etc editor which will be great and will allow enthusiasts (like me) to make their own missions packs.

Edit: BTW, how goes the Camoto music converter UI, Malvineous?
Mikemc
ultra-n00b

Post by Mikemc »

I don't need the editor for now, just the tiles.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

I understand that, just really looking forward to it myself. XD
Ardent
ultra-n00b

Post by Ardent »

it's been forever since I've been on here, but it's good to see that there are still people looking into this. Are there any updates?
[/stupid]
Malvineous
beginner

Post by Malvineous »

I've just posted a version of Camoto (version 20131117) that can kind of edit Zone 66 levels. You can open the level, change it, and save it, but for some reason the game locks up when it tries to load the modified level.

I don't know why it does this, but there must be a problem with the compression algorithm somewhere...