Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Frostbite 2 sound extraction research

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
OrangeC
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Frostbite 2 sound extraction research

Post by OrangeC »

Its not going to convert X360 sounds because.

1. its EA XMA format.

2. Needs third party tools to be implemented into the script such as: "ea-Multi_xma to parse the XMA streams" "QuickBMS and XMA header Script to Add the Proper XMA header and Towav to convert the XMA files to wav.

It can be done but the process of adding it is beyond my skills. :)
Vosvoy
veteran

Post by Vosvoy »

OrangeC wrote:Its not going to convert X360 sounds because.

1. its EA XMA format.

2. Needs third party tools to be implemented into the script such as: "ea-Multi_xma to parse the XMA streams" "QuickBMS and XMA header Script to Add the Proper XMA header and Towav to convert the XMA files to wav.
Oh yeah I completly forgot that it's XMA for Xbox360.
Vosvoy
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Ok so, even though I got it to work before, now everytime I try to decode bf3 or warfighter, it tells me how ealayer3 needs a specified input filename.. Can anyone help? it happens as soon as it trys to decode an ealayer3 file, and then i cant do anything but close it. (which shutsdown the whole conversion of all files) I think somethings different, because it used to just pop up a seperate window for each one. but i've updated to the latest fb2 decoder pack and still nothing.
OrangeC
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by OrangeC »

when I get back home I can send you mine see if it works.
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

No need, I used the earlier script without the ealayer3 integration and it works.
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

good news: bf4 beta preload's cas/cat files appear unencrypted!

bad news: I still can't get this damn thing to work with ea layer 3 on it ;-;
durandal217
veteran

Post by durandal217 »

Sound extraction doesn't work for BF4 Beta. Gotta wait and hope Frank updates his script.
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Ah, hadn't tested myself, guess they changed the filesystem somehow. I just looked in cas.cat and was suprised to see nyannyannyan since steam always encrypts all data on preloads. I guess origin is fine with giving everything out besides the executables.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

I've just read the long and cool story about extracting sounds from BF3/BF4 with all those .ebx/.cat/.cas things.

Can anyone tell me, in the end, is it possible to properly extract BF4 sounds with names or not? Because it seems it has some very different format and .ebx were compressed with custom compression. Did Frankelstner finally had time to finish it or not?
Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo »

He did but has been MIA for a year now and bfeditor.org appears to be down where his scripts were at. :/

Would need someone continue his work to update it.
OrangeC
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by OrangeC »

I still have is scripts. I also included the bf script and the frostbite audio extractor as well.

Also works for Battlefield hardlines PC version.

https://mega.co.nz/#!UNUT3ZyL!esLEiI-NE ... fp_adBZ6JI
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

Apollo wrote:He did but has been MIA for a year now and bfeditor.org appears to be down where his scripts were at. :/

Would need someone continue his work to update it.
What's need to be updated? As of now, I've changed his script a little to extract just the audio files. It doesn't take as much time and space as full extraction.

A week ago bfeditor was working... Who hosted the site? The same man?
Last edited by daemon1 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

OrangeC wrote:I still have is scripts. I also included the bf script and the frostbite audio extractor as well.

Also works for Battlefield hardlines PC version.
Thank you. Can you give me a link to the forum thread where it was posted? Was there anything interesting? I will read it in google cache.
OrangeC
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by OrangeC »

daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

OrangeC wrote:Managed to scrounge up this.
Unfortunately, google somehow doesn't have this page saved :( Anyway, thank you for saving his latest version, i looked through it, he cleared up the code and now it looks really better.

This is what I was able to figure out for now:

- We have BF3 script, with ZLIB decompression code. I can't check this, but fortunately it worked for BF3, at least for most files.

- We have BF4 script, with custom LZ77 decompressor by Frankelstner as a separate dll (with no source code). It works for BF4 & BFH. I checked it on BFH beta, the script produced 4337 audio chunks, and successfully unpacked them into wavs. The data of ALL those 4337 chunks were used in unpacking, so I'm almost sure it really extracts ALL audio. Good work. The only problem i see is that XAS is really integer codec, not float. Of course you can extract it to floats, you can even make your cat float, but it doesn't mean it's a floating animal. This results in 2x times bigger files.

- When trying to apply this to Dragon Age Inquisition, I can't unpack anything, because of format changes. Files packed with ZLIB, but BF3 script doesn't work. BF4 doesn't work either, because it assumes it must be LZ77. The only thing people can do (and it is in video tutorial) is to remove all .cas and unpack only EN.VOC file which has about 3000 audio files. I was able to comment lines in BF4 script to extract only chunks, so now i have all 10587 audio files from the game. They are convertible, but have no proper names. DAI tools can find proper names, but can't extract audio (thus conversion errors). Also it is not suitable for mass extraction, but only as explorer.