Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Defiance beta

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
kilik
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Defiance beta

Post by kilik »

beta is up at 17h
Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey »

Finally i downloaded game. Filenames hashed. Models and props in format NIF (Gamebryo Engine). Textures DDS. Audio (used Opus Decoder) Well situation is the same as in first release Rift PAK's. Files inside WADs dont have directories.
kilik
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by kilik »

you think's can do somethink's about Audio ? it's can be fun
racquemis
ultra-n00b

Post by racquemis »

Has anyone made any progress getting the audio files to play?
Got some of the files extracted but the format is unknown to me. There is a reference to a bitrate of 48000 (80 BB), but i got no clue which format it could be.
Ekey has mentioned Opus. When i check the file i'm unable to identify the headers that would be used by this format.
Any ideas?
racquemis
ultra-n00b

Post by racquemis »

build a very crude BMS script to extract the files in Sounds.wad

Code: Select all

idstring "WADF"
get NULL1 long
get FILES long
get NULL2 long
get NULL3 long
get NULL4 long
get NULL5 long
get NULL6 long
get CHKFILES long
get NEXTCHK long
get NULL7 long
get NULL8 long
for i = 0 < FILES
if i == CHKFILES
if NEXTCHK != 0
GoTo NEXTCHK
get CHKFILES long
get NULL long
get NULL long
get NULL long
endif
endif
get UNK1 long
get OFFSET long
get LENGTH long
get NAMEOFFSET long
SavePos CURROFFSET
GoTo NAMEOFFSET
getdstring NAME 0x80
GoTo CURROFFSET
log NAME OFFSET LENGTH
get TIME long
get NULL9 long
get TYPE long
get NULL10 long
next i
Still no luck in identifying the file format
kilik
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by kilik »

it's very good start somone can help more
racquemis
ultra-n00b

Post by racquemis »

Verified that the PS3 version used the same WAD files.

I have managed to identify most parts of the header. i can tell you the number of channels the file contains, the playback duration, number of samples, samplefrequency and bitrate.
Besides audio samples i think the file also contains information for loops.
But not sure how to continue.

Defiance beta will be running today, if anyone wants to look at the files themselfs.
OrangeC
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by OrangeC »

Interested in the audio as well.
PseudoProxen
ultra-n00b

Post by PseudoProxen »

Well I have some insight into the sound being utilized.

Defiance in W32Dasm

Opus is being utilized, but just for the voice communications inside the game.

Miles Sound System by RAD Game Tools is the primary middleware thats being utilized for the ingame sounds and music. So far (before my Windows OS decided to say f it all and jack up its certs) is that the music is in a MIDI format and possibly MPEG-1. Not going to verify that conclusion until I can look into it further after I reinstall my OS.
Garrland
n00b

Post by Garrland »

I wrote a little utility to extract the RMID files from the WAD files.

https://github.com/zeiban/defiwad

Nothing new that hasn't already been figured out but may be useful to some. Looks like you guys have a handle on the audio or at least getting real close to converting to a playable format. I did noticed 2 audio formats though, one for streaming and another for effects. The effects were all zlib compressed.

I've been working on extracting the textures and have been successful. I'll post the code after I get it cleaned up.

Here is a Volge helmet texture. http://imgur.com/eOxNxQM. I'm looking forward to seeing them in the game eventually.
Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo »

It no doubt uses opus and the other audio type is BINK Audio (*.binka) with the header of 1FCB, unfortunately no decoding tool for binka I seen unless somebody can get the bink sdk's binka_encode.exe which may decode... Miles uses binkawin.asi for decode AFAIK.

Apparently bulk of the audio is all bink audio, there is 64 bytes RMID header in them that can be stripped out if get decoder.

RMID seems to be generic asset header as even textures have it.
AngelSL
beginner

Post by AngelSL »

Apollo wrote:It no doubt uses opus and the other audio type is BINK Audio (*.binka) with the header of 1FCB, unfortunately no decoding tool for binka I seen unless somebody can get the bink sdk's binka_encode.exe which may decode... Miles uses binkawin.asi for decode AFAIK.

Apparently bulk of the audio is all bink audio, there is 64 bytes RMID header in them that can be stripped out if get decoder.

RMID seems to be generic asset header as even textures have it.
I stumbled upon this topic while researching Bink Audio for Scribblenauts Unlimited.

On disassembly, I found that mss32.dll has a utility function that can decode any supported format to a PCM .wav; it is exported as AIL_decompress_ASI (mangled using C-style mangling). I've posted code to sort-of abuse this in the Scribblenauts thread and convert the *.binka files to *.wav.

If this game has mss32.dll present (instead of having it statically linked), chances are that function will be present as well. That code should work.

All the best.
Garrland
n00b

Post by Garrland »

I can confirm that this method using the mss32.dll to decompress the 1FCB data works for the Defiance assets as well. I will post a bin and src once once I get it all wrapped up in a nice command-line tool.

-Zeiban
blackfoxeye
veteran

Post by blackfoxeye »

Garrland wrote:
I've been working on extracting the textures and have been successful. I'll post the code after I get it cleaned up.
Please please share the texture extraction method. :)
Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo »

Just leaves the handful of other type audio files in defiance left... someone commented opus (unsure myself) before but header is entirely custom seemingly and normal opus would demand ogg container for playback.