Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Help again! WWE WMXXI

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
themasterthree
Banned

Post by themasterthree »

You will figure it out keep @ it!

Mr.Mouse! Mr.Mouse! Mr.Mouse!

If you get the .res files extracted you can expect a $10 donation!
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

OK, so the status

1. The .res files are actually .xbx files, without the first part ot the header of an .xbx file.

Code: Select all

idstring XPR
byte     Type (0 in this case)
32-bit    size of the xbx file 
32-bit   unknown (but 0x00000800 in this case, 2048)
2. The larger ones are actually archives (so it seems) of chunks of xbx data (without headers). So, they start with the second part of a normal .xbx file, and then comes the whole picture data. I could reconstruct part of one whole picture/mesh by creating smaller xbx files of max 128x16 and viewing them in XBX To Image Converter (google it): (perhaps another method can load such a picture as a whole, must know the format of the XBX files!).

3. I read that .xbx files are deflated-compressed (Zlib) files.
themasterthree
Banned

Post by themasterthree »

Turns out the character model textures are not even .res files. Its in another fromat called .k I hope this is easier 2 get cracked open because these are the textures I really could use. I could still use the .res dont get me wrong but if you cant get the .res working take a look @ this new format. I provided 2 character models in the rar.

DOWNLOAD
themasterthree
Banned

Post by themasterthree »

bump
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Thanks, we'll take a look at those :)
themasterthree
Banned

Post by themasterthree »

awesome!

Some more smaller .k files...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

The .k files have the same type of images in there as the .res files. Thus, .xbx like images, this time only without the "XPR0" id string. The original textures are .tga , as original filenames are also saved in the .k files.

The guys that created Image To XBX Converter obviously know what format this type of images are in. But there'no source code to be found anywhere.

Perhaps people at http://www.xbox-scene.com can help?
themasterthree
Banned

Post by themasterthree »

Ok Im sure someone over @ X-S will reveal the source. Maybe you could look @ the creator of the apps name and pm him on X-S forums?

Could you explain how you compiled that 1 texture though?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Okay, I'm making some progress.

I now have found that the images in the .res and .xbx are actually .DDS files (without the DDS header and with their own header).

The TitleImage.xbx stuff is in DXT1 format, but I think in the .res files they are in DXT5.
Last edited by Mr.Mouse on Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

The .k files also contain DDS file data. It's a bit of searching as for the width and heights, and the correct DXT format. You should get yourself a good DDSfile editor (or a plugin for Adobe Photoshop).

Examples from the .res files:

The following came from the .K file Trunks_skintight_long_body.fat.k

Here's a modified neXgen logo in an .xbx file viewed in XBX Image Converter 3.0 (showing that it works, and the files are indeed modified DDS files). See the XNTX (XeNTaX) characters I put on top of it.

When I used Photoshop to edit it I noticed the DDS plugin in saved it with loss of resolution, although XBX Image Converter did not care and loaded and showed it anyway.

Perhaps a program such as BMP2XIP can help. The problem with XBX Image Converter is that it doesn't support big DDS files (.xbx files).
Last edited by Mr.Mouse on Sun May 08, 2005 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
themasterthree
Banned

Post by themasterthree »

This is great I hope we can find out more!

But the 2 images you said that are from the .res files look like the tga files. Can you view the 2 player models I gave you yet? I dont understand how you viewing some of this. I have photoshop,dds plugin,xboximageconverter30, I want 2 see some of this stuff for myself but neither program will let me. How are you doing this? Great work you are the real master!

I never thought body fat would get me so excited lol
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Ok, what I do is take the data part of the image and put a DDS file header in front of it. A DDS file (as many other files) has a header, which contains info about the image that a viewer should know, and a data part (the actual image data).

Look at this .res file:

I have opened it in Hex Workshop. I have highlighted the header part (which is only about half of the header of a .xbx file).

Now compare it with an actual .xbx file header (also highlighted) :

You can see where the similarity begins between the two. (Look at the part :

0100  0400 
So this is when I thought they were actually .xbx files, without the first part of the header.

Then I read something about DDS files and Xbox images. Look at this, from a DDS file (a DXT1 encoded DDS file).

The highlighted part is the DDS file header, followed by the actual image data. What I did was take such a header and let it be followed by image data from a .res or a .k file. Then I could open it in Photoshop and view it!

Finally look at a .k file:

Once again, the highlighted part is part of the header we also see in .xbx fiels and .res files (notice the

0100  0400 
again).
You can also see that they saved the original file name (a .tga file). THe part that comes after the highlighted header is the image data. I also took that data and let it bepreceded by a DDS file header and could open it in Photoshop thereafter (as a DDS file).

That's it.

:)
Last edited by Mr.Mouse on Sun May 08, 2005 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
themasterthree
Banned

Post by themasterthree »

Wow thank you so much M.m. Ill mess with this till I get it 2 work. So your saying I can view .k and .res files if I do all of that right? Will there be an sort of limitations and finnaly is this all you can do 2 get these files working or do you have a trick up your sleeve? If your done trying 2 "crack" what would I need 2 find out 2 get this project rolling?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Yes, and you should play with the "width" and "height" variables. These are in the DDS file at position (byte) 13.

look at the DDS header above and notice the

8000 0000 8000 0000
These are 0x80000000 (128) and 80000000 (128) in the example. But this will be known by the game and not saved in the .res or .k header, so you will have to experiment with these to find the correct width and heigth. You will notice that in Photoshop.

I could of course, write a program that would merge DDS file headers with image data extracted by MultiEx Commander.
bdlou
ultra-n00b

Post by bdlou »

Sorry. N00b question. I need help getting started here. I donated last night and got my key this morning. If I understand correctly, is this the process I am supposed to use to attempt to open the DVD.WAD file?

1. Create a blank txt file. Copy/Paste the data from Mr. Mouse:

ComType ZLib1 ; 
IDString 0 WAD ; 
Get DUM Long 0 ; 
Get DUM Long 0 ; 
Get FNUM Long 0 ; 
For T = 1 To FNUM ; 
Get DUM Long 0 ; 
Get FEO Long 0 ; 
Get DUM Long 0 ; 
SavePos EO 0 ; 
GoTo FEO 0 ; 
Get JP Int 0 ; 
SavePos SS 0 ; 
Math SS += JP ; 
Get UCS Long 0 ; 
Get DUM Long 0 ; 
Get B Byte 0 ; 
SavePos S 0 ; 
Math SS -= S ; 
GetDString FN SS 0 ; 
SavePos FO 0 ; 
Set FSI Long UCS ; 
CLog FN FO FSI 0 0 UCS 0 ; 
GoTo EO 0 ; 
Next T ; 
2. Save the file as something.bms
3. In MultiEx Commander, go to Tools>Run custom script on
4. Select the BMS file you just created
5. Select the DVD.WAD file

When I follow this process, I get a Run-time error '7': Out of memory, so I feel that I am missing a step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.