Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

RAGE (idtech5) .pages .pageLines information

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
genwitt
ultra-n00b

RAGE (idtech5) .pages .pageLines information

Post by genwitt »

I've been trying to decode the Rage megatextures, but I've gotten stuck, hopefully this will help someone.

The .pageLines file is a complete quadtree for the texture, one 2 byte little endian number per tile, there is no header. The levels are stored in raster order. -1 means 'no tile', it propagates from coarse to fine. (if a level has a -1 tile, the corresponding tiles to all finer levels will all be -1.) Negative numbers are unique, there is one in the entire stack, they occur in order starting with -32768. Positive numbers occur multiple times.

The .pages file starts with a 32 byte header, numbers are all little endian.

Code: Select all

offset type      description
----------------------------
0x00   int[4]    0x77339904
0x04   int[4]    size in tiles
0x08   int[4]    ?
0x0c   int[4]    log2(size in tiles)
0x10   char[2]   'UU'
0x12   char[6]   ?
0x18   int[4]    size of the file in bytes
0x1c   int[4]    0x0
Inside pages there is one tile for each unique image in the pageLines file. They start with the magic cookie "04 ed bf ca", this cookie will be 2 byte aligned. This is followed by a 4 byte integer, which is 0 for the first tile, and 5 for every other tile, I assume this is the number of images in the tile.

The mapping from pageLines value to offset into pages appears to be in a separate file.

The first image of every tile has "0000 7100 a3c7 8a3c 78a3 c780 ff00 0001" in it. This appears to be the start of a JPEG XR, IMAGE_PLANE_HEADER starting at the 71, this header looks sane. There are 4 000001 markers in each tile, it's my guess that these are TILE_STARTCODE markers from JPEG XR.

Tacking on a regular JPEG XR header and running the images through the JPEG XR reference decoder doesn't work.
dragbody
veteran

Re: RAGE (idtech5) .pages .pageLines information

Post by dragbody »

I'm sorry to say that all of that is over my head. Nevertheless, I hope for the best from this. As I've posted elsewhere, I would love to apply those texture files to the models.
blackfoxeye
veteran

Re: RAGE (idtech5) .pages .pageLines information

Post by blackfoxeye »

Any progress towards extract the textures from RAGE .pages files ?