Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

3D Ripper DX crashes

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
AceVentura
n00b

3D Ripper DX crashes

Post by AceVentura »

Hi!
Probably u all know 3D Ripper DX crashes, which is a wonderfull too, but i cant get it work.
I have tried Dead Island and Mirrors edge but after i hit F12 (capture) the game chrases. For Mirrors edge takes it a littlebit longer (about 20s).

-Do u know what could couse this problem?
-is there any simular program like 3D ripper?
-Can someone confirm that is possible to rip this games?

huckleberrypie
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: 3D Ripper DX crashes

Post by huckleberrypie »

This is normal for some games. Mafia II takes a long while to capture, afaik, while others either hang up or crash. You might try GameAssassin, but I'm not too sure about it since the program is in Chinese.
AceVentura
n00b

Post by AceVentura »

huckleberrypie: thanks for your answare.
This is normal for some games.
Ive tried dead island and mirrors edge becouse they are on the 3d ripper dx compability list.
I had 3d Ripper 1.8 becouse the downloadlink for 1.8.1 was disabled. I have managed to get this newer version and now i can rip dead island, although if i import the scene materials are missing. I guess it should be textured.
Mafia II takes a long while to capture
Holy sxxt! Does it work on Mafia 2 too? It wasn on the list. Good to know, im gonna try it.
huckleberrypie
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by huckleberrypie »

Strange, the ripper tool should've sniffed the textures as well.
AceVentura
n00b

Post by AceVentura »

If i check "Also capture to Wavefront .OBJ " then the rippers creates a material (mtl) where i can see which material has witch dds file.

Code: Select all

newmtl material_0
Ka  0.6 0.6 0.6
Kd  0.6 0.6 0.6
Ks  0.9 0.9 0.9
d  1.0
Ns  0.0
illum 2
map_Kd 00000000.dds
#
newmtl material_1
Ka  0.6 0.6 0.6
Kd  0.6 0.6 0.6
Ks  0.9 0.9 0.9
d  1.0
Ns  0.0
illum 2
map_Kd 3f3b627b.dds
#
newmtl material_2
Ka  0.6 0.6 0.6
Kd  0.6 0.6 0.6
Ks  0.9 0.9 0.9
d  1.0
Ns  0.0
illum 2
map_Kd e0bb8da5.dds
#
newmtl material_3
Ka  0.6 0.6 0.6
Kd  0.6 0.6 0.6
Ks  0.9 0.9 0.9
d  1.0
Ns  0.0
illum 2
map_Kd b6f358ff.dds
# 
I can see the dds files in Documents\3DReaperDX\Textures\ but they r not assigned to the material. And i really dont want to do it by hand for all the 105 textures...
AceVentura
n00b

Post by AceVentura »

obviously something is going on wrong with the textures. I made a test in Assassins Creed. here is the result after import the 3dr file:

would someone post an working example from any of this games (Dead Island,Assassins Creed, NBA 2K12, Mafia 2) made by 3d Ripper DX. I can figure out, if am i doing something wrong or it is just not possible to get the fully textured scene to max.

Here are my 3d Riper files. It is 1.8.1

thanks
XboxRainbowMods
ultra-n00b

Post by XboxRainbowMods »

I have been looking EVERYwhere for version 1.8.1 since the site looks like it has a .htaccess line of code blocking anyone from downloading the file.
So please share it, 1.8.1 works (I used to have it) a lot better than 1.8 because of the memory issue fix.

Could you upload it as attachment or link please?
LaBamba
ultra-n00b

Post by LaBamba »

Sure there's russian site that provides 1.8.1

Code: Select all

http://lwgame.net/news/3d_ripper_dx_1_8_1/2010-08-17-6336
But I also have a problem. I have max2012 and it seems 3dripper doesn't have .3dr module for that versison since when I try to open the captured file i get message that "no appropriate module can be found" and if I try to open .obj file I get the message that there's not enough memory to open it. So any idea of what I could do?

Could someone instead capture middle east/iraqi or Arab town from games like Splinter Cell Conviction or Call of Duty 4 or Six Days in Fallujah or some similar and send it to me?
Lavarider
ultra-n00b

Post by Lavarider »

Apparently the Russian site has lost the link as well. Could you upload the file to another mirror please? I need 1.81 to rip a specific model that I'm looking for, as the older versions just crash.
LaBamba
ultra-n00b

Post by LaBamba »

Hmm yeah it seems to be 1.8 after all.

BUT does anyone know how to keep textures when converting this .3dr file from 3Ds MAX? I convert them in let's say .obj but when I open them in other 3D programs I can't load textures because they're dds and similar format. For instance how do I open them in let's say Sketchup?
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

LaBamba wrote:Hmm yeah it seems to be 1.8 after all.

BUT does anyone know how to keep textures when converting this .3dr file from 3Ds MAX? I convert them in let's say .obj but when I open them in other 3D programs I can't load textures because they're dds and similar format. For instance how do I open them in let's say Sketchup?
Just because a file is DDS doesnt mean it should be any more of a problem than loading a jpg..
The biggest issue with loading textures into a 3d app is not having the textures in the same folder as the model, Or in some cases (like 3dsmax) even if the images are in the same folder it wont read them, because the app hasnt been told to look in that folder.. ( in Max's case you need to set an "external folder" location ) the same probably applies to many apps. Most 3d apps work best when using project folders, a group of folders the app is told to look in for ALL the files ( it also keeps all your files nice and tidy)

For exporting from max, really the main setting you need is create MTL file. that way when you export as obj the mtl file tells the object what images are associated with which surface.

Of course you could solve all of this by using a proper 3d format converter such as Deep exploration 5/6/7 Save from Max as OBJ then load into deep ex and convert it to whatever 3d format works best for your 3d app ( it can also convert the textures to whatever format you like at the same time for you )
Yes! i know that's what i said... But its not what i meant. ;)