Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PC] Saints Row Third: Character Models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Maxunit
n00b

Re: [PC] Saints Row Third: Character Models

Post by Maxunit »

Thanks for the headsup. I have used another application to re-rip the dds textures from the files and those dds textures loaded up fine in Photoshop tho. I got it from the SRTT Modding forums.

I will check out, if i can load the extracted dds textures from ripper with irfanview or something else.
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

That's strange. I don't have any problems with the textures in PS, they all work fine.
junk angel
veteran

Post by junk angel »

I've noticed that all the exported textures seem to be in a cubemap format . -They also do not load in photoshop for me, I get a disc error.

Though I have been able to convert them by noesis, which shows them correctly. (without the cubemap padding)

Also as you can see, a lot of textures have a messed up exposure - my guess is textures with an alpha map.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

While I have the option for cubemaps available to set in my code, I don't use it for Saints Row Third. There are two very specific bitflags for cubemaps and I only use one of them (DDSCAPS_COMPLEX and DDSCAPS2_CUBEMAP). I generate valid DDS files; Irfanview loads them just fine... I too also have the photoshop problem with the disc error, but Rexil doesn't (that plugin is highly sensitive to the version/update of photoshop you are using, there was a time where it did work for me but one day it just stopped). And if you go to the Adobe forums they just tell you shit like oh reinstall blah blah blah use scandisk etc. lol. I have the latest updates for CS4. Next time, I am just going to pirate photoshop like everybody else to have it work properly lol.

However, the photoshop plugin is old, and in old versions of DDS, DDSCAPS_COMPLEX is equal to DDS_SURFACE_FLAGS_CUBEMAP. So photoshop might be treating DDSCAPS_COMPLEX to mean cubemap, which is wrong (DDSCAPS_COMPLEX means more than one surface); DDS specification says DDSCAPS_COMPLEX is required for mipmaps as well.

I'll look into the exposure thing, now that you mention it... actually I can't; I deleted the original texture files. For now try scanti's texture extractor on the problem files and let me know if they are different. They shouldn't, because shaundi's textures use the same format code as grace's and shaundi's is fine. However, if scanti's loads grace's textures fine let me know so I can check it out.
junk angel
veteran

Post by junk angel »

Tried extracting with that other program - same weird exposure. The odd thing is, though that most other textures seem to extract fine though. And I didn't notice these gray exposure issues in the game itself.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

You can try asking scanti over there since they are modders and might have noticed something. Lol my steam profile says I have played the game a whopping one hour and that ain't going to grow anytime soon ha ha ha.
soulslayerzx
beginner

Post by soulslayerzx »

Woot! Finally a tutorial that can mod this shit. Although I am having an issue opening the .dds in photoshop, maybe because mine was from a source engine tutorial? Although it was from the nvidia website, might have to update that.

EDIT: hey if shaundi got lod why dont your char got it...
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

soulslayerzx wrote:Woot! Finally a tutorial that can mod this shit. Although I am having an issue opening the .dds in photoshop, maybe because mine was from a source engine tutorial? Although it was from the nvidia website, might have to update that.

Why would you need a LOD of something you are constantly, like 100% of the time.
soulslayerzx
beginner

Post by soulslayerzx »

rexil wrote:
soulslayerzx wrote:Woot! Finally a tutorial that can mod this shit. Although I am having an issue opening the .dds in photoshop, maybe because mine was from a source engine tutorial? Although it was from the nvidia website, might have to update that.

Why would you need a LOD of something you are constantly, like 100% of the time.
My shaundi model has lod some reason, layers of stuff on her.

Also, my uv mapping is messed up maybe cuz lwo import broke uv mapping but ill see what happens.
Voltarox
ultra-n00b

Post by Voltarox »

I thank you all for this very informative thread. :up:

I play SaintsRow3 and have always wanted to be able to work on some of the 3D models in that game.
You are making good progress on the SRTT ( Saints Row The Third ) 3D models and
I appreciate the outstanding work you have accomplished. :bravo:

May I ask, ( sry if it may seem off topic ) if anyone has been able to extract and work with the 3D files for the VTOL ? ( Vertical Take Off & Landing aircraft from SRTT F-69 )

I have created/designed about 12 custom Air/Space craft vehicle 3D models using AC3D ( a 3D modeling program ) and would like to do some custom 3D work on the VTOL. ( redesigned landing gears and wing configurations )

Any advice would be appreciated. :D

Thank you & keep up the good work. :hippy:
soulslayerzx
beginner

Post by soulslayerzx »

Voltarox wrote:I thank you all for this very informative thread. :up:

I play SaintsRow3 and have always wanted to be able to work on some of the 3D models in that game.
You are making good progress on the SRTT ( Saints Row The Third ) 3D models and
I appreciate the outstanding work you have accomplished. :bravo:

May I ask, ( sry if it may seem off topic ) if anyone has been able to extract and work with the 3D files for the VTOL ? ( Vertical Take Off & Landing aircraft from SRTT F-69 )

I have created/designed about 12 custom Air/Space craft vehicle 3D models using AC3D ( a 3D modeling program ) and would like to do some custom 3D work on the VTOL. ( redesigned landing gears and wing configurations )

Any advice would be appreciated. :D

Thank you & keep up the good work. :hippy:
lol the dude said player models only as of now, i checked the cars and theres no .lwo or .obj when using rippper
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

i remember seeing one of the jets... do a search for all LWO files and sort them by file size and open the largest ones. i never textured the jet so i don't know if the uv coordinates are correct (some models had 4 sets of UV coordinates lol, i just took the first one in most cases).
soulslayerzx
beginner

Post by soulslayerzx »

howfie wrote:i remember seeing one of the jets... do a search for all LWO files and sort them by file size and open the largest ones. i never textured the jet so i don't know if the uv coordinates are correct (some models had 4 sets of UV coordinates lol, i just took the first one in most cases).

So how did you get the uv map properly onto your model???? full process please, so im supposing you deleted the extra lods.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Pm me a model with all textures. I ain't running that thing for another hour lol.
soulslayerzx
beginner

Post by soulslayerzx »

howfie wrote:Pm me a model with all textures. I ain't running that thing for another hour lol.
Mine only took like 10 seconds extracting all the model files for the character, please see my thread in re-uv mapping Shaundi :(