Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

DX Ripper

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

DX Ripper

Post by Andrakann »

Hi there, Xentax's community!
Let me introduce you to the old-new russian tool for ripping 3D-models from games:
DX Ripper (working tittle) by black_ninja!
The main difference from Ukrainian 3D Ripper DX is that this tool captures the scene before the shaders transform it, and characters remains in the T-pose. Other geometry also captures without rotation or deformation.

This project is two years old and remain mostly unknown to community before HaCKer_UTD started a topic about this tool in Tosyk's forum.
Four days later black_ninja appears in topic with suggestion to improve this tool if somebody interested and helps with testing.

For this moment work suspended again, because black_ninja is busy with other project and don't have a time and motivation to continue develop this tool. Maybe someday in future.

How this tool works:

You'll need a copy of MilkShape 3D, because ripped meshes can be opened only through plugin for MS3D (included with ripper's package). It's main disadvantage of that tool i think.

There's two different ways to inject ripper in game:
1. Automatic but not so efficient - start injector.exe from folder where you unpack ripper, a window appears:
where:
"Exe:" - path to target game's executable, "Arg:" - game command line options if need, "Dir:" - folder for save captured geometry and textures.
After this small setup you'll press big "Run" button and game starts, ready for ripping (or fails ;)).
2. Advanced and complicated a little - copy intruder.dll and settings.ini to target game's folder (where main executable is) then rename intruder.dll to d3d9.dll and start game as usual.

After injecting you can use F10 key for full scene capture, F9 to capture only textures and F11 for shaders only. Keys can be changed by manually editing key codes in settings.ini with notepad. Key codes can be found here for example.

If rip succesful, a subfolder _ripper\frames\frame00 (then _ripper\frames\frame01, _ripper\frames\frame02, etc.) created in your target folder for rips if you use launcher, or in game folder where renamed intruder.dll is:
Image Image

There's no special messages on screen like in 3D Ripper DX, so you'll need to Alt-Tab from game and check out result.

One rip creates one folder about 50-200 megabytes in size, so make sure you have enough space on hdd.

Important note: If you quit from game after making some rips, then start ripping again, captured folders overwrites, so good practice is to rename them after capture session like i did here:
(i add a number to "frames" folder after each session)

Importing to MilkShape:

Copy included plugin msripimp2.dll to MilkShape 3D main folder.
Start MS3D and go to File > Import > RIP Importer 2
a window pops up:
where:
"Folder:" - path to rip's folder, "File(s):" - numbers of meshes to import, "ClockWise Face" - option to invert normals if need, "Texture Level" - numberof texture layer, "Position" and "Normal" - rarely used options for handling geometry, "TexCoord" - options to fix UV map placement in 0-100 range.

Usually you don't need to change anything, press "..." button, select folder containing captured geometry (.rip files), type numbers of meshes to import in 0-12 or 1, 3, 15 format and press "Import" button.

Unfortunately sometimes you import series of meshes like 12-31 they imports messed up, but if you import these meshes one-by-one all go fine.

Numbers in texture names equivalent to numbers in names of meshes, but textures not duplicates for every mesh that uses this texture, only for first captured.
So if you found character body texture with number 0002 in name and next texture have number 0007, you can surely import meshes 2-6 for getting body model.

Noesis import plugin here.
Modman69
veteran

Re: DX Ripper

Post by Modman69 »

Hi,

The tool worked quite well for me as far as ripping all the geometry, textures and shaders, but I had no luck with T-pose :[

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the game itself.

BTW (Only tried it on Disnay HS Musical3)

Any help?
The Chief
veteran

Post by The Chief »

I follow the tuto but i cant rip anything =/ i tested Ghostbusters/Deus Ex human revolution/RE4 and Dolphin
and on Ghosbusters give some violation access error code :(
Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Andrakann »

Modman69 wrote:Hi,

The tool worked quite well for me as far as ripping all the geometry, textures and shaders, but I had no luck with T-pose :[

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the game itself.

BTW (Only tried it on Disnay HS Musical3)

Any help?
Not all games captures in t-pose, only animated with shaders i think. Some captured with bugs, like LOST game (cubic t-pose), there nothing we can do...
The Chief wrote:I follow the tuto but i cant rip anything =/ i tested Ghostbusters/Deus Ex human revolution/RE4 and Dolphin
and on Ghosbusters give some violation access error code :(
Only DX9 games supported, and second variant of injection works way better for me.

I'm not programmer of this tool, and cannot help in compatibility issues :(

Some compatibility/uncompatibility lists from Tosyk's forum:
Rips Ok (full rip with t-pose):
The Saboteur
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I/II
MX vs. ATV Reflex
Assassin's Creed(s)
Ghostbusters: The Video game
Fuel
Overlord 2
James Bond 007 - Blood Stone
The Hunter
Call Of Juarez The Cartel
The Club
Batman Arkham City

Rips partially:
Lost: Via Domus (full rip with t-pose, distorted models)
Driver: San Francisco (full rip with t-pose, except characters)
L.A. Noire (no textures, props ok, maybe t-pose chars)
Pure (full rip with t-pose, no UVs)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (no t-pose, no UVs)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (no t-pose, no UVs)

Don't rips:
Dolpine Emulator (crashed with error)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (ripped only some objects and textures)
Blur (crashed with error)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (unknown bug)

* If you have FRAPS in autostart, and rips empty folders - unload FRAPS and restart game. *
Last edited by Andrakann on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Chief
veteran

Post by The Chief »

OK i tested agian and i managet to get T pose models from NCIS The Video Game , but i cant open Ghost Busters the video game =/
any way thanks for posting this awesome tool here , i will test on other games. :)
pixellegolas
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by pixellegolas »

what I think can happen is that you are trying to force games to be dx9 when in fact they are dx10 or dx11. It will not start then because there should be errors. So, finding dx9 gamelist is probably the way first
RacingFreak
veteran

Post by RacingFreak »

Awesome tool! As I have seen on his site it also works with DX5-7 and DX8 games, however the intruder.dll needs more work (it's missing some components seems). Do you have any idea if he's going to release source (to not let it as 3d ripper dx died)? Anyway I had no luck with DRIV3R so far, but I will continue trying.

EDIT: I just used Noesis with the plugin and I am just speechless, it ripped all the peds, Tanner, the cars and objects in T-pose!! 8D

EDIT2: I confirm that it works with Dolphin!
The Chief
veteran

Post by The Chief »

RacingFreak wrote:Awesome tool! As I have seen on his site it also works with DX5-7 and DX8 games, however the intruder.dll needs more work (it's missing some components seems). Do you have any idea if he's going to release source (to not let it as 3d ripper dx died)? Anyway I had no luck with DRIV3R so far, but I will continue trying.

EDIT: I just used Noesis with the plugin and I am just speechless, it ripped all the peds, Tanner, the cars and objects in T-pose!! 8D

EDIT2: I confirm that it works with Dolphin!
Wich version of dolphin do you test ? i test dolphin 3.0 x64 on windows 7 x64 but didnt work or i did some thing wrong XD

Also this tool works very well on:

Jurassic Park The Video Game
NCIS The Video Game
CIS Deadly Intent
Back to the future

All of them in T pose. :)
AceVentura
n00b

Post by AceVentura »

im testing it on Assassins Creed. The files are created in _ripper folder, DDS looks ok (although flipped) but if I import them in MilkShape nothing happens.

here is an example capture. http://www.mediafire.com/?n35qioinyr2nj10. Could someone try it to import to MilkShape or Noesis. Btw where can i download Noesis?
Thanks
The Chief
veteran

Post by The Chief »

AceVentura wrote:im testing it on Assassins Creed. The files are created in _ripper folder, DDS looks ok (although flipped) but if I import them in MilkShape nothing happens.

here is an example capture. http://www.mediafire.com/?n35qioinyr2nj10. Could someone try it to import to MilkShape or Noesis. Btw where can i download Noesis?
Thanks
You dont need this tool for any of the Assassins Creed games just go here and download ForgeX tool

http://www.tbotr.net/modules.php?mod=Do ... 4&sort=hot

And for Noesis you can download here

http://oasis.xentax.com/index.php?content=downloads
RacingFreak
veteran

Post by RacingFreak »

I can tell it's hell easier with the Noesis plugin... just located the folder and start digging. I tested Driv3r, works INSANELY well (Tanner in T-Pose, NO normals loss or problems), not so well on Driver: Parallel Lines (just needs manual rescalling, I think by 100% on H side in Zmodeler), not so well on Man In Black: Alien Crisis for Wii on Dolphin (200% rescalling on H side in Zmodeler), The cars from Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles ripped perfect, perfect ripping on the Camaro: Wild Ride. Now I will test all my games I have for Wii and Gamecube and make a list here.

I've been ripping using 3D Ripper DX and Dolphin for ages, but I can tell DX Ripper is the way better way, there's no rotation, scaling, FOV and so on you have to worry about and everything is in T-Pose (although Dolphin comes with free look hack, not always good result). And I never used the 3.0 release, just get the latest SVN builds... doesn't work with all games but I have almost all SVN Builds with notes what game on what release works better. For example with some James Bond games.

Have anyone tried with other emulators yet? I tried with PCSX2, failure. But I will try others.
AceVentura
n00b

Post by AceVentura »

The Chief wrote: You dont need this tool for any of the Assassins Creed games just go here and download ForgeX tool

http://www.tbotr.net/modules.php?mod=Do ... 4&sort=hot
    Thanks! I try to install the dlls but no success

The Chief
    veteran

Post by The Chief »

Do you install .NET Framework 3.5 ?

And i already test on many versions of pcsx2 but not luck =/

I still need to test more games. :)
    Teancum
    veteran

Post by Teancum »

RacingFreak wrote:I've been ripping using 3D Ripper DX and Dolphin for ages, but I can tell DX Ripper is the way better way, there's no rotation, scaling, FOV and so on you have to worry about and everything is in T-Pose (although Dolphin comes with free look hack, not always good result).
    So wait, it'll T-Pose Dolphin stuff too?
    AceVentura
    n00b

Post by AceVentura »

The Chief wrote:Do you install .NET Framework 3.5 ?
    Im running Win7 32Bit, which includes 2.0/3.0/3.5, plus SP1 for 3.5.
    Can someone please take a look at this frame if it loads in Milkshape or noesis. I had no luck with it. :constipated: