Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Good compressed audio formats that support 12 or 4 channels?

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
fadi002
beginner

Good compressed audio formats that support 12 or 4 channels?

Post by fadi002 »

What are some compressed audio formats that have good quality, and can support either 4 or 12 channels? The reason I want to know this is because I've been ripping music from Uncharted 3 and there are 4 and 12 channel music files. They are compressed, but the format they're already in is not suitable for sharing or listening directly. I don't like having uncompressed versions of them on my hard drive, because that's just wasting space.

I would also appreciate it if you tell me about a program that is good for converting WAVs to the format you recommend. I use Audacity to convert them to WAVs, so if I could just use that it would be better.

Thanks!
Apollo
veteran

Re: Good compressed audio formats that support 12 or 4 chann

Post by Apollo »

AAC and Ogg Vorbis would be the best quality formats today in compressed department IMO, AAC up to 400kbps and Vorbis up to 500kbps+ encoding possibility.

Both have channels/khz support more than enough for today's needs unlike outdated MP3.

Dbpoweramp can be used for example to encode to both formats using the flexible codec central to install any formats support needed.
fadi002
beginner

Re: Good compressed audio formats that support 12 or 4 chann

Post by fadi002 »

Apollo wrote:AAC and Ogg Vorbis would be the best quality formats today in compressed department IMO, AAC up to 400kbps and Vorbis up to 500kbps+ encoding possibility.

Both have channels/khz support more than enough for today's needs unlike outdated MP3.

Dbpoweramp can be used for example to encode to both formats using the flexible codec central to install any formats support needed.
Thanks!