Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Star Wars - The Old Republic - Beta - GR2 model

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Privateer
veteran

Re: Star Wars - The Old Republic - Beta - GR2 model

Post by Privateer »

I'm wondering why I get PM's about custom programs to view the files?
Noesis is perfectly able to handle the release versions yet people want to write stand alone stuff?
Then you all ask for info and not give me a working example of your program but want more help.
My only purpose is to see you get what you want but I'm getting a little ticked that nothing is released in even a beta form.
Do I need to showboat you all and waste time programming while doing the reverse work for you?
:[
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Try to teach a man to fish and he'll gripe at you for not just giving him the Damn Fish!
OroMatoko
ultra-n00b

Post by OroMatoko »

Greetings all, firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their hard work especially SWTOR Fan, Privateer and Dionix187 (and everyone else contributing!).

I've managed to extract my TOR files using EasyMYP with the updated hash lists perfectly fine but when it comes to extracting the GR2 using "grnreader98.v1.4.0.3.debug" I get nothing but errors, first grnreader98 refused to stay open when clicked it would pop up the command window for a split second and close, so I did run, cmd and used the command prompts there as dragging the GR2 onto grnreader98 did nothing at all.

So my process was "Run -> CMD -> A:\grnreader98.v1.4.0.3.debug\grnreader98.exe <filename> -a -> Enter"

But I just get errors, I've tried several files and several methods all result in failure, am I doing something wrong?

Here's a screenshot of the error....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

Hi OroMatoko!

It seems like you are using a program to convert the standard .gr2 Granny files from RAD game tools.
During the beta, SW:TOR was using the Granny format, and if you still have those beta files, you can convert the models with your tool.
However, in the release version, they developed a new, custom format that is completely different to the Granny format but they kept file extension .gr2 the same.

Together with Privateer's help I was able to figure out the new format and am currently writing a specification of the format; this may take a few more days.
If you know a little bit of programming, you will be able to write a tool from the specification that can read the new .gr2 files and convert them into another format like .obj.
Otherwise, you'll have to wait until such a tool is created. The best way would probably be a plugin for Noesis but since I do not know Python very well, I do not think I will be able to do it. But of course, anyone who feels up to the task can write such a plugin, and with the specification, that should be fairly easy to do.
OroMatoko
ultra-n00b

Post by OroMatoko »

SWTOR fan wrote:It seems like you are using a program to convert the standard .gr2 Granny files from RAD game tools.
During the beta, SW:TOR was using the Granny format, and if you still have those beta files, you can convert the models with your tool.
However, in the release version, they developed a new, custom format that is completely different to the Granny format but they kept file extension .gr2 the same.

Together with Privateer's help I was able to figure out the new format and am currently writing a specification of the format; this may take a few more days.
If you know a little bit of programming, you will be able to write a tool from the specification that can read the new .gr2 files and convert them into another format like .obj.
Otherwise, you'll have to wait until such a tool is created. The best way would probably be a plugin for Noesis but since I do not know Python very well, I do not think I will be able to do it. But of course, anyone who feels up to the task can write such a plugin, and with the specification, that should be fairly easy to do.
Ah thanks for the information I think you nailed it on the head, I separated my beta install from a fresh release install but it somehow updated both folders, so I guess I'm out of luck as I'm completely useless at coding (I believe I have some form of code specific dyslexia). So unless someone could PM me with a location for beta files I'll have to wait for amazing people like yourself before I can start my project.

If there's anything I can do to help ease the load let me know, I have no problem sorting through long lists of data for organising if needed.

Anyway thanks again SWTOR fan you're a legend keep up the great work!
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

The last Beta release was a standard GR2 format with the CRC messed up.
All releases since use a custom GR2 format.

RAD Games allows you to adjust the format as you want and many Games are now starting to use a custom format.
Every custom one I've seen is fairly easy to figure out so far.

I expect that to change as time goes on.
Try to teach a man to fish and he'll gripe at you for not just giving him the Damn Fish!
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

I have good news: The .gr2 file format specification is done! :eek:
Click here: .gr2 file format specification

This is, without a doubt, the biggest file format specification I have written so far.

The formatting is not cleaned up yet and a few things are missing, but it should contain all of the important information now. I will probably update it over time, but at least now you have something to work with.

As I said, feel free to write a .gr2 plugin for Noesis, and if you find an error in the specification, feel free to correct it or ask me if you have any questions.
Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer »

Nice work Mate!
:D
JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JakeGreen »

awesome work, i really hope someone makes a Noesis plugin now
delium
n00b

Post by delium »

SWTOR fan wrote:I have good news: The .gr2 file format specification is done! :eek:
Click here: .gr2 file format specification

the link is not working, do you have a mirror for the spec?
Panzah
advanced

Post by Panzah »

Any news on a Noesis plugin? Thanks to everyone's hard work on this by the way, glad that there's so many people willing to help others for free in these corporate world ruled by money.