Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
MrAdults

Re: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by MrAdults »

Typo? Referencing the wrong module? I just tested these:

Code: Select all

rapi.immBegin(noesis.RPGEO_QUAD)
		rapi.immBegin(noesis.RPGEO_QUAD_ABC_BCD)
		rapi.immBegin(noesis.RPGEO_QUAD_ABC_ACD)
		rapi.immBegin(noesis.RPGEO_QUAD_ABC_DCA)
They all seem to be working fine.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

lol it was a typo
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Supposing I got around to adding some c++ plugins for, say, a particular decryption algorithm used by a different formats, how do I expose it to python so that I can still develop plugins that way but also enjoy faster data decryption when I need it?
Demonsangel
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Demonsangel »

Unless Noessis has a native way I'm guessing ctypes will be your best bet to access dll functions.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Is there a way to set the "skip render" attribute from the data viewer automatically while importing?
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Yeah, ctypes is the easiest way. You have noesis.getMainPath() to get the Noesis path (not the working directory) which you can then truncate/append to the path of wherever you expect your DLL to be.

Use setSkipRender on the associated material, or create a material with that property and assign it to all meshes that you don't want drawn. It isn't exposed to Python on a per-mesh basis, only per-material.
Doctor Loboto
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Doctor Loboto »

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but the Duke Nukem Forever extraction method doesn't seem to work with the DLC addons. I'm trying to get a model of Dr. Proton for a wiki, as well as for my personal stash of models.
Dazz
beginner

Post by Dazz »

Is there any easy way using the batch command to have the output files in their own folders? I'm trying to batch from a game, but they all use the same texture names, so they would overwrite each other...
Demonsangel
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Demonsangel »

Emissive/self-illumination maps do i define them with rapi.rpg.setLightmap?

What would be an efficient way to find certain bytes in the stream? eg: looking for 0x353020 which is the start of a chunk.
I'm currently reading byte per byte which can slow down the progress when using files >6mb.

For fbx export, how would I go about setting the actual texture path? When loaded in 3ds max to test it seems to only have the texture name and not the path.
Last edited by Demonsangel on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Dazz wrote:Is there any easy way using the batch command to have the output files in their own folders? I'm trying to batch from a game, but they all use the same texture names, so they would overwrite each other...
Batch script to call noesis and output them in their own folders is one option.

Noesis should also support the ability to define an output path, much like manually exporting.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Frankly, I'm hesitant to spend time on the batch exporter, because my intuition tells me it's a feature more likely to be used for lazy mass-theft and I feel the current state of it should be perfectly adequate for legitimate needs. On the other hand there's little sense in leaving a program feature-crippled just because the majority of its users are scumsuckers. I will contemplate this issue.

Demonsangel: You could, and just set the appropriate blend mode on that material. Also, I don't know offhand of any quick method to find binary in an object in Python but I'm sure there is one. You'd ideally want to look for something that operates in native code. There may be a way to do it with a method of the bytes/bytearray type which would operate in native code and probably be ideal.

Dazz: That is what the default -texpre option is for.

Edit: And I just happened to notice the link in Dazz's signature. Dazz, what the hell are you doing? At the very least your site is in violation of the UK's DEA and probably plenty of other shit that I don't even know about because I'm not familiar with UK digital copyright law. And did it not provide you with some hint that the Noesis readme states repeatedly that you are not to do exactly what you're doing? Looks like many of your models haven't come from Noesis, but I see plenty that have and the shit you are doing is illegal in your own country. You even acknowledge that the content belongs to other companies in your "disclaimer". And you must have a whole lot of nerve to come here and ask for help and/or features, while blatantly violating the wishes I have expressed very clearly for this program's use right in its included readme. This is the kind of shit that is likely to get a C&D sent back my way, thanks to your blatant abuse of this and many other tools. I don't want anything to do with you or anyone who visits your site.
Dazz
beginner

Post by Dazz »

MrAdults wrote: And I just happened to notice the link in Dazz's signature. Dazz, what the hell are you doing? At the very least your site is in violation of the UK's DEA and probably plenty of other shit that I don't even know about because I'm not familiar with UK digital copyright law. And did it not provide you with some hint that the Noesis readme states repeatedly that you are not to do exactly what you're doing? Looks like many of your models haven't come from Noesis, but I see plenty that have and the shit you are doing is illegal in your own country. You even acknowledge that the content belongs to other companies in your "disclaimer". And you must have a whole lot of nerve to come here and ask for help and/or features, while blatantly violating the wishes I have expressed very clearly for this program's use right in its included readme. This is the kind of shit that is likely to get a C&D sent back my way, thanks to your blatant abuse of this and many other tools. I don't want anything to do with you or anyone who visits your site.
MrAdults, I've been running The Spriters Resource for 10 years. We have had praise from games companies, and been featured in official gaming magazines such as Nintendo Official. We are invited to several gaming events each month.
We branched into models recently, and have had a lot of interest in it from our users. We've not yet been approached from any companies about it, but we link directly to it from The Spriters Resource.

I still do not agree with your readme, and while I respect your wishes, it is the best application to complete the action that I intend to have - if need be, I can look for an alternative, but frankly Noesis is the best application available. If you feel it isn't its best purpose, then you can state that but insulting those who use it for one of the purposes it poses is just silly.

I come directly to you to ask for help and features to improve the program, sure - just like when I wrote reviews for companies whom supplied me with games, I mentioned things that could be better explained and improved. I understand that I'm not abiding to your wishes, and I'm not going to lie about that because I know that full well. But my belief is that your application fits a purpose you perhaps don't agree to, and if that can be improved then I see no reason to not talk to you directly. If you'd prefer me to hide and lie to you, then I'm very confused about what you want... Because I thought one of the benefits of being able to talk to the users of your program was that you could get feedback.

If you don't want anything to do with the community you're helping to develop, then I'm very confused at what you want... I'm sorry if I have somehow offended you, but the truth is that our website serves a purpose of fan creation. We've never in any way sold our content off, and we never will. I know several users here that use our site, and while I'm not going to out any of them, I think that you need to perhaps see things from a more level perspective of what it is we are doing. We aren't helping people commit piracy, we're assisting in fan service.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

lol I remember my first C&D letter... took five or six years after I started a web site before the C&D came to my door... all it takes is to piss one person off. even though some companies don't seem to care, and some might even bless things with their ripped content (like Crystal Dynamics), all it takes is to piss one person off. probably not tomorrow or even next year, but it might come one day. just try not to piss those people off. personally, i would try to be a little less visible... the more visible you are the more likely it will happen. he he he featured in official gaming magazines omg ha ha ha that's getting a little too visible ;-). good luck though!
Last edited by howfie on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazz
beginner

Post by Dazz »

I of course don't go out of my way to piss companies off, but the additional point there is that Nintendo do not own the content to Sega's games. As such they can issue a warning to remove their content specifically, to which I would heed.
I've been warned by Nintendo in the past, for example, to remove a sheet we had up which was for a game which at the time hadn't been released. They said that if we removed it, we were welcome to republish it after the game had launched.
If they wanted us to remove all of the content that they own, of course I would comply. I'm not an idiot. But that won't shut down the entire site, because there is a lot more content than just that of one company.

As for being visible, that isn't something I can control... I've never done any PR, or anything of that nature.

As an additional, that company would probably get a pretty bad reputation in the community, which is a vast quantity of their customers.

But this isn't the point at hand.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

true true. i've always wondered why Crystal Dynamics doesn't stop all the stuff going on at the XNALara forums. but my point was that I understand where Mr. Adults is coming from... I worked on a program too for several years, only to have one C&D destroy everything; but that was my own doing of course :keke: . fucking patents lol.