Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Final Fantasy XI .DAT (PC)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
goder2910
advanced

Final Fantasy XI .DAT (PC)

Post by goder2910 »

I researched the model file of FFXI for a month. And i found some information about this game.

The model file is very fantastic and beautiful. And i hope with these information, some genius like Chrox,finale00, chrrox, Szkaradek123, Mr Adult or great people can help me make the max script or blender python that supports bone + weight.

Here are some information:

1> The .DAT file contain all information about bone, weight, animation, mesh and texture in "Model ROM folder".And some .DAT file contain information of Effect in "Effect ROM folder". But we only talk about .DAT model file.

2> All animations have their name in .DAT file and they can be read by the hex editor.

3> The .DAT contain "address link" to the Sound effect place of the model, too.

4> This is some tools that can read the mesh + animation:

FFXI Model Viewer English version : this tool was translated from a FFXI Model Viewer from Japan. It can display all mesh of model + full animation clips. It also has an option to convert .DAT file to .MQO format and we can import .MQO into 3DS Max by MQO Importer Plugin. But the limit is the MQO file (metasequoia) contains only mesh (like .obj file).It required FFXI must be installed but we can cheat it by create the fake path installation because it only reads the ".DAT" model file.

Atlanta Viewer : this tool is a true viewer. It can view all model + animation + effect with sound + map + field + file folder. It required FFXI must be installed

Virtual Reality Studio : this tool was made by a Japanese company. This tool like a 3D Tool, it can import .DAT file with full bone, weight + animation and we can modify the animation, bone or the mesh and then export back to .DAT file. The limit is it has no option export to popular model file like .FBX or Collada.

FFXI Model Viewer + Atlanta Viewer can be found here: http://killingifrit.com/forums/topic/14 ... te-291009/

Virtual Reality Studio can be found here : http://www.credes.com/us/product/80/download.html. You can found some tut in this website.

Youtube clip that teach you how to mod the .DAT file by Virtual Studio (3 part) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrY6knJB ... re=related

And finally, this is some example file. This rar contains Odin, Alexander, Shinryu model, include .dds texture, MQO model file and .DAT file. I also added .MQO plugin for 3DS Max 2010 32 bit

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxmE9E ... EyYzkyMGJl

Mediafire hates me. Everytime i upload, everytime i fail.

Once again, i hope everyone can help me to create a max script or blender python to import the .DAT file that support bone+ weight :D. It will be great if it can read the animation, too :D

Here are some screenshot to show the quality of FFXI model :

And thank for reading my topic :D
Last edited by goder2910 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Re: Final Fantasy XI .DAT (PC)

Post by finale00 »

Oh, looks pretty nice.
I wonder if any of the tools came with source. Or at least, someone released specs.
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

@finale Can you check .DAT model format ? I think the .DAT file isn't encrypted.

I tried to contact with the owner of model viewer tool but i cant find any his clue ><
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

they are written in .net so a program like .net reflector can get you the source code almost perfectly intact.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Source code would be nice.
Then it would require minimal effort to get to where the author got.

Looked at it. This is that PS2/online game right?
I saw the DDS file and was like "lol 3TXD"

At least, assuming it's a DDS file based on the exported files.

No index buffer, so it's probably just stringing all those vertices together

But I'm not sure how to parse it at first glance. I don't see any offsets and it just looks all random at the top.
Ninja
veteran

Post by Ninja »

Looking at the alexander file, the first half contains mostly dds textures - 3TXD.
That narrows it down - LOL
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

This game was developed for PS2 first, but later, it was developed for PC. The .DAT file that i got from PC, i think it 's different with PS2. because PS2 encrypted these files.

We can choose the option to export the texture to both .JPG and .BMP instead of .DDS.

So we have a little problem, I will try to use the net reflector to get the source code, hoping i will help you to understand more, finale

And thank for your suggesstion, chrrox.

PS : I tried to use Net reflector but it warning these tools is not kind of .Net module ><. Sad new !
Last edited by goder2910 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

I'm still wondering how I should be parsing those DDS files.
I mean, it looks completely backwards.
Ninja wrote:Looking at the alexander file, the first half contains mostly dds textures - 3TXD.
That narrows it down - LOL
The latter half contains a bunch of floats.
Like, huge sections of floats.

So now the only problem is the top lol
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

Here are some link that relate to FFXI model viewer and .DAT file

Tutorial Model Viewer : http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/dat-im ... wbies.html

And : http://ffxidats.caarrie.com/index.php?topic=516.0

And little more information:
.DAT - The all encompassing Model File. This combines your Model and Textures into a readable file for FFXI. Regardless of formatting of other files, .DAT's are the only compatible file with FFXI and can only be directly changed by VRS. However, by using other programs .DAT files can be broken down into the file types below, making Modding a much more enjoyable experience.
.BMP - A very common Graphic File. It's very easy to edit and save, but has to be converted to .DDS format after being changed to be made useable.
.DDS - This is the Texture file of a Model. It can be changed directly, but lesser editting Apps won't be able to open it. It's usually better just to edit the .BMP and save the .DDS file for .DAT conversion.
.MCD - I'm guessing with this one, since I've yet to see it come into play. I'm pretty sure the .MCD file is what holds the Models Movements, Sounds, and anything else not editable at this time. Just don't delete this file, cause it does something.
.MQO - This is the Model file. It contains the 3D Model as well as Texture Mappings. This is the only thing you will change if you don't plan on recoloring your Model.
There is also a "Alikona's Hex Editing Made Easy guide", but the forum is dead and i cannot find the topic.

@finale Waiting for your good new :D
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

Playing around with Google and i found Model Viewer of Final Fantasy XIV source code.

Maybe someone will need it to compare with Model Viewer of Final Fantasy XI

https://github.com/nohbdy/ffxivmodelviewer
Ninja
veteran

Post by Ninja »

For skipping the start:-

Code: Select all

read string(4)
token = readbyte
numof = readbyte
addme = 0
if token = 0x87 then addme = 16
length = (numof * 32) + addme - 6
The token does look like a bit wise flag, the last section of data follows the same principle but uses 3D and BD.
The source code for XIV suggests it's a bit wise flag as well.
if (token & 0x80 = 1) then addme = 16
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

I do not really understand this struct. So hoping someone will get more information with it :D

Note : I want to find a tutorial that will teach me how to research 3D Model and writing import script. Everyone can give me a link ?
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

I don't think there are many tutorials. I made an attempt to get some sort of guide to get people started: http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/3D_Model_Guide

But I don't know how to "teach" someone how to read a binary file. It's like...how do you teach someone to read a book? Teach them the language? Sure, you pretty much just have to know the following:

-what hex is.
-what the data represents. This means you'll need to know a bunch of 3D concepts, or at least the basics.

If you know how datatypes are represented in hex, then you pretty much just have to go through it and figure out how the data is stored.

Like that struct up there. You read a string that's 4 bytes, then you read two more bytes. Depending on the values of token and numof, you will skip that many bytes.

I guess you can read these and see if you pick anything up

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3739 - figuring out basic 3D model format (shaiya online)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8319 - exploring 9dragon file format
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7760 - basic import script for noesis (python. C++ is available but no tutorials written)

Obviously, you should be getting yourself a hex editor and some sample files to actually see if you can follow along.
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

I have a basic about Struct just a noob. Thank you for your link !

The link "python" is very necessary with me.

I will learn more about Hexing guide.

Note : I learning Chroxx tutorial (shaiya online), hoping this is a good tutorial for me :D

Thank you, finale00
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

I checked the plugin for importing FFXI model + animation (two plugins) of Virtual Reality Studio. They are ".dll" file.

I tried PE Explorer to disassembler to read the source code from these .dll, but i dont understand anything.

Someone can help me to read the source code from disassembler of PE Explorer ?