Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Tekken Hybrid

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
IvoryCutter
beginner

Re: Tekken Hybrid

Post by IvoryCutter »

Excuse me if this is considered spamming on here, but I just joined to let you Mr Howfie know what a hero you are.
I've been waiting almost 12 years for what you're currently working on. THANK YOU!!! :cry: This sounds very dramatic because it is :cry:
I'm so looking forward to seeing this released,... obviously
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

no it's not spamming. i'm amazed at how many people actually want to see classic models. however, take note, this is not the classic tekken models. these models are from tekken tag tournament 2 HD from Tekken Hybrid, which was released a few months ago. the semi-final release will be in a couple days. I have to make sure that the code works for all models.
IvoryCutter
beginner

Post by IvoryCutter »

howfie wrote:however, take note, this is not the classic tekken models. these models are from tekken tag tournament 2 HD from Tekken Hybrid
The images you posted are from tekken tag (1), moreover from the HD rerelease of the original title, which has me even more excited.

The pictures of the Nina model you posted, I've been looking for that particular model for all these years. You can't possibly imagine the look on my face when I stumbled over this thread and your posts in particular. :-)
howfie wrote:i'm amazed at how many people actually want to see classic models.
I've seen a lot of people asking for the tekken tag models. I'm not the only one you're making extremely happy with this!

Still can't believe someone finally found a way to extract these models...
Can't wait to see more updates from you!!!
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Python scripts are ready for beta testing. Download attached file.

Open up tekken.py and change the filename from 'nina1u' to some other filename to load another model (look at line 32 and edit that).
Run python on tekken.py.
xentax.py must be located in same place as tekken.py.
Load OBJ file in maya or max.

Note: There is duplicate geometry that uses different textures. Alternate outfits or effects? Not sure but it's easy to get rid of.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

I'm thinking about removing the vertex normals from the OBJ file so your modeler can compute them instead. Tekken's normals are screwy.
gjinka
Banned

Post by gjinka »

Maybe the normals are stored differently, I don't know, maybe not as vectors but radians or eulear or some other crazy way.

Anyway, most 3d modellers will recompute the normals anyway, during import and modelling.

Thanks a lot. I'll study this format with your script, will make a Blender importer and will add the format to the wiki :)
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Actually the normals are pretty good. I use them to flip the reversed faces and it worked out great. In LightWave, the models I load look pretty good; but when loaded into Maya the lighting is somewhat off, somewhat strange. I displayed the vertex normals in Maya and they look good... but for some reason, I don't know what Maya's doing or if it's my graphics card, but I might try a version with normals removed to see if they look better in Maya.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Ugh half-floats everywhere, complicated faces all over the place.
Is it as (or more efficient) computation-wise than just using triangle lists and single-precision floats?

Let's see how to write a noesis plugin for this...

I wonder if there's something in noesis that will make this face thing easier to do cause my parse_faces function is like 5x larger than any other function to do that "is face flipped" computation and all lol

EDIT: decided to try something short and simple

Code: Select all

for i in range(len(faceArray)):
	stripLength = faceArray[i][2]
	idxBuff = self.inFile.readBytes(stripLength * 2)

rapi.rpgCommitTriangles(idxBuff, noesis.RPGEODATA_USHORT, stripLength, noesis.RPGEO_TRIANGLE_STRIP, 1) 
But it didn't work lol.
Maybe it's not just stripLength * 2?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

You can't avoid it you will have to flip the faces. Flip the faces and then convert to triangle list and then send it to noesis.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

That's interesting. It's a PS3 game, right? My first guess is that you may be missing a flag regarding the initial winding order of the strip. It's also possible that said flag could affect only the winding order of subsequent triangles in the strip. (so the first 3 indices form a front-facing triangle, but then the winding doesn't flip as per usual and/or the flipping is dictated by a flag which is likely present in the strip/mesh header)

It's also possible that they simply don't use face culling in the game, but that seems unlikely (especially on PS3) due to the fill waste.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

PS3, but the models are the same from the PS2 version of the game. There is a trick to it, but I just don't have the time to figure out what that trick is. It only took 20 minutes to cook up the flipping scheme based on the vertex normals and it was done ha ha ha. For the people who just want their model rips I don't think it makes any difference :-).
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

If the model data is really identical between the PS2 and PS3 games, then I suppose that explains it. Lots of PS2 games would store flags to affect the strip winding in the actual index or vertex data, or in the strip headers that would typically be checked when churning through the data in VU code. I've run into that in quite a few PS2 games and I think I recall revelation saying he ran into it in MGS2 (or maybe it was 3) as well. Not culling faces was also a lot more common in the PS2 days, though.

Most of those PS2 games seem store flags in the W component of the vertex position, and if a certain bit is set (usually it's 0x8000) then you need to reset the strip when you come upon that vertex.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Hmmm... ok let me check the data really quick... see what I can find in the w part of the vertex position. The first few I saw were always 0, but I didn't look at all of them.
IvoryCutter
beginner

Post by IvoryCutter »

Ok, I'm well aware of just how noobish this must sound but I can't seem to find a way to make this file work.

When I try to open tekken.py a command window opens for a second, but it immediately disappears.
Opening tekken.py via cmd I get: "[Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'law1u.chr' "
Running the file in IDLE got me the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

(stating the obvious: I'm totally new to python)
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Don't feel bad, I hate python with a passion too lol. Edit tekken.py in notepad. Then, place tekken.py and xentax.py and model file in python directory. Then go to command prompt. Cd to python directory. Type in python tekken.py at prompt and it should go. On Friday when I come back home I'll translate the code to c+ + and make an exe that parses everything in just one click. I still have to work on the bones too.