Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 Model Ripping

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
TallgeeseIV
beginner

Re: Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 Model Ripping

Post by TallgeeseIV »

I got the models and textures from the ps3 version, a couple notes:

1.) the models are great, except most have an extra face in a random area protruding out. deleting the face easily fixes the problem.

2.) the textures for the mobile suits are fine but the textures and images for everything else appear to be garbage data. most are just repeating color tables or solid black. some look like health bars, text character sets, logo's etc. but their colors are off. red parts are blue, etc. could be by design, not sure if you meant to have them implemented or not.

fantastic work, the only thing that would make it more useful is ripping them with names, which as i understand, the names are in the default.xex file for 360, and probably the eboot.bin file on ps3.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Corrupt textures? Which ones? Inwhat folder? Most I checked were fine. The ones with color channels mixed up is type 0. They are uncompressed but every dds color mask abgr, bgra, rgba, etc. I tried didn't look right. Do the 90 or so character images in 0001 folder look ok? I'll look at it when I get home.
TallgeeseIV
beginner

Post by TallgeeseIV »

Ah, I see. When I apply the corrupt images in 3ds max or open them in photoshop they show up without issue, but in windows thumbnails everything but the mobile suit textures appear corrupted. of course this means they work but it also makes it a nightmare to sort through them... here's a screenshot of what I see in windows:

howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Oh OK, so it's a problem with your thumbnail viewer then. Gundam ones don't use the alpha channel... the other ones do I believe. NVIDIA thumbnail viewer or that mysticthumbs? And yeah, there's 900 directories ha ha ha what a pain huh :-D?
TallgeeseIV
beginner

Post by TallgeeseIV »

Ahh, yep, that's probably it. i have mystic thumbs and another one called sage thumbs. if i recall the nvidia dds plugin doesn't work on windows 7, and i only have the photoshop plugin installed.
DOTAPRINCE
veteran

Post by DOTAPRINCE »

Oh by the way, why don't the models look cel-shaded even though they are cel-shaded in the game?
TallgeeseIV
beginner

Post by TallgeeseIV »

cel shading is applied via a shader loaded by the running game engine. they aren't part of the actual art resources in a game like this.
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Anyone know what those red colored textures are for? I'll get the architecture up around Christmas when I also release ripper for sudeki as well.
TallgeeseIV
beginner

Post by TallgeeseIV »

haha, can you be a little more specific, which red colored ones, where are they located?
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

All of the gundam models contain at least one texture that is mostly red with some black lines. I was wondering if that texture was some kind of cell-shade map or something. I'm not at my dev computer at the moment, but it's usually the second or third texture in a gundam directory.

BTW, there is a problem with some of the models and I will try to fix it. The faces are divided into surfaces, but each surface can use more than one texture map. I wasn't able to find where they store this information, nor was it part of chrrox's script, so some of the gundam models have to be resurfaced for now.
TallgeeseIV
beginner

Post by TallgeeseIV »

AH, yes, those textures. I'd seen something similar in other games, usually it's a specular map or something similar, most likely in this case related to cel shading, or maybe reflective surface maps. the blurry fish eye lens pictures of different scenery such as the colony exterior or the desert are definitely environment reflection maps so it would make sense.

as for the models, that makes a lot of sense. I was trying to set up the model of the Gundam Mk II for use in the crysis 2 sdk and it wouldn't export because of hundreds of overlapping face and abandoned vertex errors. sounds like that might be the cause.
Damocles
ultra-n00b

Post by Damocles »

I don't know if you guys have seen them, but a Chinese guy (Lotsbiss) posted a thread at CGmodels.cn containing
most of the gundam models in the game.

He has rips from A.C.E.R and a few others. I just happened across your thread while hunting for a few models from D.W.G.2.
DOTAPRINCE
veteran

Post by DOTAPRINCE »

Can anyone tell me what viewer he used ^ there?
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

deep exploration
DOTAPRINCE
veteran

Post by DOTAPRINCE »

Thanks sir chrrox. :)