Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Star Wars - The Old Republic Beta Audio Files

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Piviton
n00b

Re: Star Wars - The Old Republic Beta Audio Files

Post by Piviton »

What would be useful now is something that could convert all these hexadecimal file names into readable names. I've had a look around inside a few of the .tor files but there doesn't seem to be anything. Where and how do they store this information?
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

The TOR archives themselves do not store the file names but only their hashes. easyMYP has some of the file names stored and can therefore recognize many file names, but not all.
As an example, here are some file names of audio files:

Code: Select all

/resources/bnk/streamed/sfx/music_action_highintensity_bountyhunterclasstheme_mx_038_class_bounty_hunter_combat_3959c1d5.ogg
/resources/bnk/streamed/sfx/music_background_unsettled_17_kotor2_mus_a_262_3959c1d5.ogg
/resources/bnk/streamed/sfx/music_event_mysterymoment_29_kotor1_mus_theme_czerka_3959c1d5.ogg
/resources/bnk/streamed/sfx/sfx_cine_custom_pipesystembreak_ba73f164.ogg
However, the newest version of the beta files is not yet completely supported by easyMYP; that's why you only see those hex values.
Piviton
n00b

Post by Piviton »

I don't know how to configure easyMYP to rename files like that. But there must be somewhere that contains a list of all the proper file names, the developers cannot reference resources by their hash.
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

You're right, the filenames are stored somewhere in some XML files from the TOR archives. The problem is that these files are spread all over the archives (eg. every dialogue file references its sound file) and therefore it is not that easy to automatically get all file names.

To import the file names, download the newest version from here. The file hashes_filename.txt has to be placed in a subfolder called "Hash". But as I said, this file list (with about 50% of the file names recognized) is based on an earlier version of SW:TOR and does not recognize the files from the current versions.
Piviton
n00b

Post by Piviton »

Which of the .tor files contain .xml files that reference the music? I have yet to find one reference. I have found some of the dialogue ones though.
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

Some of the compiled XML files in the bucket files reference sounds to be played during a dialogue:

Play SFX: Play_explosionoffscreen_normal_oneoff_01
Play SFX: Play_cine_custom_stolenship_takeoff
And also some of the area files (_everywhere_.dat) contain the name of the background music:

.rgnCharacteristics=!ambience:char_sel_bounty_hunter,music:mus_char_sel_bounty_hunter!
However, I am not sure how these names relate to the file paths.

Some of the <DataTable> xml files also contain sound information:

<DataTable guid="795161655246848" fqn="tbl.utlhydramusicevents" GUID="795161655246848">
   <Table>
      <Columns>
         <Column name="tree name" id="1631f07c-76f8-4207-bb93-02caa8691653" position="0" />
         <Column name="display name" id="20d4d3a4-efad-45c6-91e8-029408702277" position="1" />
         <Column name="event call" id="c3fd99c8-9356-45ee-b5ff-d8429d055271" position="2" refType="soundEvent" />
         <Column name="play time" id="f46ac95c-16ae-4ff2-b6e7-95a1afae52c9" position="3" />
         <Column name="priority" id="f6f27736-e671-42ec-8f89-7b27e00a9dcb" position="4" />
      </Columns>
      <Rows>
         <Row>
            <tree_name>background.calm</tree_name>
            <display_name>Background - Calm (1:30)</display_name>
            <event_call>playmusic_background_calm</event_call>
            <play_time>00:01:30</play_time>
            <priority>event</priority>
         </Row>
         <Row>
            <tree_name>background.dark</tree_name>
            <display_name>Background - Dark (1:30)</display_name>
            <event_call>playmusic_background_dark</event_call>
            <play_time>00:01:30</play_time>
            <priority>event</priority>
         </Row>

<DataTable guid="795217489821696" fqn="tbl.pkgsoundtable" GUID="795217489821696">
   <Table>
      <Columns>
         <Column name="spec" id="3dfdfe2b-c964-413c-b32e-c9c957a85c86" position="0" />
         <Column name="soundset" id="40f2d7f4-922a-427a-9ef5-7dc99618c650" position="1" refType="weak_relativePath[.bnk]"/>
         <Column name="soundset_fr-fr" id="e826ff1e-0b2e-4250-954d-ef4529ce9b3f" position="2" refType="weak_relativePath[.bnk]"/>
         <Column name="soundset_de-de" id="332ccf92-82c2-45c1-9bb3-0dc6dbcdd9d9" position="3" refType="weak_relativePath[.bnk]"/>
         <Column name="footstep_class" id="434afc19-f770-4fe7-a617-b454260869fe" position="4" />
         <Column name="impact_class" id="8217caf8-5375-4683-b0cc-2c096c348206" position="5" />
         <Column name="voice_processing" id="8f55ec98-2684-4e20-8937-7914e8eb0801" position="6" />
         <Column name="swing_type" id="a15c3abb-75b0-45fa-a5cb-fef1b840a000" position="7" />
         <Column name="continuous_movement" id="efb14528-0ba3-4813-9fac-d4ed67233e9d" position="8" />
         <Column name="armor_type" id="28336a9c-dfcf-4bf6-a0eb-5ed362640b3a" position="9" refType="datatableRef[tbl.utlwiseswitchgroups, 'armortype']"/>
      </Columns>
      <Rows>
         <Row>
            <spec>alien_abyssin_low</spec>
            <soundset>abyssin_m_alien_low_soundset</soundset>
            <soundset_fr-fr>abyssin_m_alien_low_soundset</soundset_fr-fr>
            <soundset_de-de>abyssin_m_alien_low_soundset</soundset_de-de>
            <footstep_class>humanoid</footstep_class>
            <impact_class>FLESH</impact_class>
            <voice_processing></voice_processing>
            <swing_type></swing_type>
            <continuous_movement></continuous_movement>
            <armor_type></armor_type>
         </Row>
Predatory Lootboxes
advanced

Post by Predatory Lootboxes »

Anyone mind helping me with the command line function to extract from the .bnk's into separate sub folders, so that I don't overwrite any of the extracted wavs? since they do not like to extract under unique names... I get a slew of .001-.4000.wav files.
Seifer29
n00b

Post by Seifer29 »

Hey guys, I have been having a difficult time with these .bnk files from SWTOR. So I am able to extract individual .bnk files from the .tor archives. I then tried to use that bnkextr from that russian site that was posted earlier in the thread. It ends up extracting various .wav files, numbered like .001.wav to .050.wav or whatever. At this point I try to use this ww2ogg .19 and revorb to convert them into a playable format, but the .ogg files that are output still do not want to play.

I am obviously messing something up here, so I am just wondering if someone can maybe post their methods on how they are able to get playable audio from some of the .tor bnk files. Also, can quickbms be used to unpack/repack these bnk files at all? Some of these questions might sound silly, but just trying to figure all this stuff out. Thanks in advance.
marmelada
ultra-n00b

Post by marmelada »

Bump.

I have similiar problem as Seifer. I'm able to extract bnk and wem files, but I can't do anything with them. And I want so badly sondtrack from tor (:
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

Converting the WEM files is not so difficult, you can do this with ww2ogg.
However, I am not sure why you want to get those files. Most of the soundtrack is already on YouTube, and the remaining pieces are either background music or music from the Star Wars movies / KotOR games. The beautiful pieces that contain an actual melody are online.
And the file names in SW:TOR are terrible; you just have hundreds of files like /resources/bnk2/streamed/1004295821.wem and don't know what kind of music is in them. :(

Anyway, here's a noobish step-by-step guide; I hope it's not too simple for you: :wink:

Guide to identifying audio files in SW:TOR
Star Wars: The Old Republic uses three kinds of audio files: .bnk, .acb and .wem files. The first two file types are archives, a.k.a. they contain .wem files. The .wem files are just sound files in a special format developed by Wwise.
Depending on which files you have, pick the appropriate guide below.

If you have a different file extension, or are unsure which file you have, follow these steps:
1. If you do not have a hex editor, download HxD, and open your file in this program.
2. Look at the first bytes at the beginning of the file. These will tell you which file you have:
--- a. If the file starts with BKHD, you have a *.bnk file. These files contain sound effects, like blaster fire, steps, wind effects, etc.
--- b. If the file starts with RIFF....WAVEfmt, you have a *.wem file. These are the files that contain the soundtrack, a.k.a. the music.
--- c. If bytes #5-9 are zeros (00 00 00 00), then you have a *.acb file. These files contain dialogue, i.e. spoken words.

Guide: Converting .bnk to .wem
1. Go to the folder where you have your .bnk files stored.
2. Download bnkextr.zip. You may need to click on the bold link on that Russian page if the download does not pop up immediately.
3. Extract the zip archive and copy bnkextr.exe to your .bnk folder.
4. Now drag a .bnk file and drop it onto bnkextr.exe. Beware: A .bnk archive may contain hundreds of .wem files, so do this one file at a time.
5. In the folder, you will now find a few .wav files. These are actually .wem files; the bnkextr program just uses an older file extension.
6. Create a new text document in this folder, rename it to extensionChanger.bat. Open this .bat file with notepad, then copy & paste the following line. Then save and close Notepad.

ren *.wav *.wem
7. In the folder, double-click on the .bat file. Your .wav files will now be renamed to .wem files. You can now follow the steps below to convert the .wem files to .ogg files.

Guide: Converting .acb to .wem
1. Go to the folder where you have your .acb files stored.
2. Create a new text document in this folder, rename it to convert.bms. Open this .bms file with notepad, then copy & paste the following lines. Then save and close Notepad.

get numberOfFiles longlong
for i = 0 < numberOfFiles
get fileName string
get fileSize longlong
get fileOffset longlong
log fileName fileOffset fileSize
next i
3. Download quickbms.zip, copy quickbms.exe in your *.acb folder and run it.
4. In the open file dialogue, select your convert.bms file. In the second dialogue, select a .acb file or enter "" to convert all .acb files in the folder.
5. Select the output folder.
6. QuickBMS will now convert all .acb files to .wem files. See below on how to convert these files to .ogg files.

Guide: Converting .wem to .ogg
1. Go to the folder where you have your *.wem files.
2. Download ww2ogg019.zip and revorb.exe. Extract the ZIP archive. Then copy ww2ogg.exe, packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin and revorb.exe into the folder with your *.wem files.
3. Now create a new text document in this folder, rename it to convert.bat. Open this .bat file with notepad, then copy & paste the following lines. Then save and close Notepad.

for %%f in (*.wem) do ww2ogg.exe %%f --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin
pause
for %%f in (*.ogg) do revorb.exe %%f
pause
4. In the folder, double-click on the .bat file. Now you will find—in addition to your .wem files—.ogg files in the folder. These files can be played in any .ogg player. I recommend foobar2000 as it is easy to create playlists there, but any other programs (except Windows Media Player) will work as well.
Last edited by SWTOR fan on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marmelada
ultra-n00b

Post by marmelada »

Thank you! It turns out I had almost all tools downloaded, but I'd never figure out myself, how to write these batch files.

However, I am not sure why you want to get those files. Most of the soundtrack is already on YouTube, and the remaining pieces are either background music or music from the Star Wars movies / KotOR games. The beautiful pieces that contain an actual melody are online.
And the file names in SW:TOR are terrible; you just have hundreds of files like /resources/bnk2/streamed/1004295821.wem and don't know what kind of music is in them.
In game files you have much more music, than in OST. I learned that when I unpacked WoW and Portal files. Lightsaber sounds and dialogs also are very interesting.

Once again thank you :)
marmelada
ultra-n00b

Post by marmelada »

I managed to write a small batch script to handle bnk files. Since sometimes you get over 20 of these when unpacking a file and I'm lazy I wrote this:

for %%a in (*.bnk) do (
md "%%~na" 2>nul
move "%%a" "%%~na"
copy bnkextr.exe %%~na
copy ww2ogg.exe %%~na
copy revorb.exe %%~na
copy packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin %%~na
cd %%~na
bnkextr.exe %%a
del %%a
ren *.wav *.wem

for %%f in (*.wem) do (
ww2ogg.exe %%f --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin
if exist "%%~nf.ogg" del %%f
)
for %%f in (*.ogg) do revorb.exe %%f

del packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin
del *.exe
cd ..
)
for /f "delims=" %%d in ('dir /s /b /ad ^| sort /r') do rd "%%d"
WARNING: This will delete original bnk files after unpacking them!

How to use:
Copy bnkextr.exe; ww2ogg.exe; revorb.exe and packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin along with this bat file to directory with bnk files and run .bat script.

What's going to happen:
Each bnk file will get its own directory and get unpacked. Then .wem files will be converted to ogg and revorbed. Wem files will be deleted (only those that got converted! I don't know why sometimes ww2ogg doesn't want to convert files). And then it goes to another bnk. At the end all empty folders will be deleted.

Ta-da!

I hope it'll be helpful to someone ;)
Carsten2011b
ultra-n00b

Post by Carsten2011b »

I tried the audio guide, but I'm stuck at the HxD part. :/ Can anyone tell me which .tor files contain .bnk, .wem, and .acb files (or better yet, upload and post all the converted files (the dialouge and SFX, and the music, but only if the music has path directories that show their file names (having the same for the SFX and dialogue would be nice too).
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

There are too many audio files to upload them all, but here's a list of the .tor archives containing audio files. (assuming you are using the current release version of the client files)
I'm recommending using the 90% hashes_filename.txt list for easyMYP I posted here as this has most of the file names and file extensions for the audio files. You only need to use HxD if you do not have a file extension.
  • The swtor_en-us_*_1.tor archives contain the English dialogue in .acb files, grouped by the planet and quest they are spoken in. (swtor_de-de_*_1.tor and swtor_fr-fr_*_1.tor contain the German and French dialogue, respectively). The subtitles can be found in the .stb files in swtor_en-us_global_1.tor but the .stb files themselves are encoded and AFAIK there is no public program to open them yet.
  • The three swtor_main_bnk_streamed_a/b/c_1.tor archives contain the music in .wem files.
  • All other swtor_main_bnk_*_1.tor archives contain sound effects in .bnk files:
    • swtor_main_bnk_voc_1.tor contains alien languages and grunts/laughter/coughs etc., so basically anything that does not need to be translated into German or French.
    • swtor_main_bnk_audio_1.tor contains weapon sounds (blaster fire, lightsabers) and steps on wood/metal/...
    • swtor_main_bnk_audiodata_1.tor and swtor_main_bnk_location_1.tor contain all other sound effects grouped by planet, e.g. wind noises, alarm sounds, background chatter, beeping computer consoles, ...
Carsten2011b
ultra-n00b

Post by Carsten2011b »

SWTOR fan wrote:There are too many audio files to upload them all, but here's a list of the .tor archives containing audio files. (assuming you are using the current release version of the client files)
I'm recommending using the 90% hashes_filename.txt list for easyMYP I posted here as this has most of the file names and file extensions for the audio files. You only need to use HxD if you do not have a file extension.
  • The swtor_en-us_*_1.tor archives contain the English dialogue in .acb files, grouped by the planet and quest they are spoken in. (swtor_de-de_*_1.tor and swtor_fr-fr_*_1.tor contain the German and French dialogue, respectively). The subtitles can be found in the .stb files in swtor_en-us_global_1.tor but the .stb files themselves are encoded and AFAIK there is no public program to open them yet.
  • The three swtor_main_bnk_streamed_a/b/c_1.tor archives contain the music in .wem files.
  • All other swtor_main_bnk_*_1.tor archives contain sound effects in .bnk files:
    • swtor_main_bnk_voc_1.tor contains alien languages and grunts/laughter/coughs etc., so basically anything that does not need to be translated into German or French.
    • swtor_main_bnk_audio_1.tor contains weapon sounds (blaster fire, lightsabers) and steps on wood/metal/...
    • swtor_main_bnk_audiodata_1.tor and swtor_main_bnk_location_1.tor contain all other sound effects grouped by planet, e.g. wind noises, alarm sounds, background chatter, beeping computer consoles, ...
Thank you, really. This helps me out a lot. :D Just one other thing, how do you get the .bnk's organized like "/resources/bnk2/location_act_2_ships_media.bnk" and actual path names such as "/resources/bnk/streamed/sfx/music_event_mysterymoment_29_kotor1_mus_theme_czerka_3959c1d5.ogg"?