Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries : Mekpak 3

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
blaar
n00b

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries : Mekpak 3

Post by blaar »

As with many a post I saw here, I too am making paper models of meshes from games hence my request for some help extracting models from the MW4 Mercs Metek pc game.

http://www.mektek.net/projects/mw4/download.html

I found a extractor for the resource files (textures.mw4) containing the mechs which are all in .erf format. With the help from another member who wrote me a script I was able to convert the .erf files to .mqo files. Unfortunately Mektek decided to encrypt all of their models so the script does not work on their mechs.

I am hoping some one here can help to "crack" / "decrypt" the .erf for me, or perhaps come up with another way to convert the .erf files to something useable, I don't really mind which 3D format since I can always convert between formats , just need to get rid of Mektek's stupid encryption.

I am attaching a zip file. The one file "grz_torso" is not encrypted, and the other "bkh_torso", (assuming the extractor extracted the file correctly from the resource file textures.mw4" is encrypted.

Thanks in advance for helping me with this.

I wanted to upload the textures.mw4 file which contains the textures and the models for the mechs but it is a bit on the heavy side (~460 mb) so I hope the attached files do their job. But if need be I will make a plan to upload the textures.mw4 file.

EDIT : Also take a look at this post, maybe it helps.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6346&p=52215&hilit ... ior#p52215
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blaar
n00b

Re: Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries : Mekpak 3

Post by blaar »

Bumping this, Should I rather upload the resource file textures.mw4 ?
blaar
n00b

Post by blaar »

I managed to extract some more files from the Mektek Mekpak 3 using multi ex commander.

In mekpak 2 I was able to get hold of the Brigand torso mech model (ie readable model), but the same model from mekpak 3 I was unable to get. Checking the file sizes they are different.

Perhaps this could help to figure out what / how mektek is encrypting their files.

Thank you any one who can help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blaar
n00b

Post by blaar »

Some more samples , this time the gun from the Grizzly. Included in the archive is the version of the mekpak 2 with the converted gun to MQO and also included the same model part but this time from the mekpak 3 which is encrypted or compressed or something.

I hope some body can help with this.
blaar
n00b

Post by blaar »

Still no luck.

Is there some tutorial that can explain a noob like me, how and what to search for in memory. Maybe I can find the models in memory after they have been decrypted.

Also once found what to do ?

Thank you.
TankNut
ultra-n00b

Post by TankNut »

Don't mind me, just going to poke a 6 year old thread with some new info.

I've been working on a few projects myself, and during one of these projects I started looking around for the Mechwarrior 4 models, seeing if there was anything I could do to rip them myself. Well, no luck on that front. (Although I did find out you can extract the mech textures by using Ninjaripper on the map editor if you place down the mechs themselves)

I did however, run across a guy going by the name of MACK who managed to acquire several models over the years and repackage them as .SCN and .3DS files. For the sake of keeping these sources available to the public, I figured I'd post them here. The models themselves have some issues with overlapping vertices but I managed to iron those out just fine with blender.

A full list of the models included
The download link