Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

SXWad format - Counterstrike Xbox

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

SXWad format - Counterstrike Xbox

Post by Rusty_le_Cyborg »

Hi there

I have been advised to post a request here for support with this file format.

It is the file format used for Counterstrike on the Xbox, but is similar (I would imagine) to the format used in regular Counterstrike.

The sound files are packaged in Xbox soundbanks, but the rest of the files - Maps, Models, Sprites etc are within these files...

They are a little large, but I will attempt to upload a couple of small files with hopefully enough information to get a start on it (or maybe to discount any attempts!)

I have made rar files of the beginning 1 meg and tail end of a couple of the files.

Cheers for now

<edit>
Can't seem to upload, so I will put the files here...
http://talisman.clift.org/talismanisland/test/sxwad
Thanks!
</edit>
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Thanks, I 've downloaded them and I can say after a quick glance, that it may be possible to add a script to MultiEx Commander that will extract the files in there. Will have to have a better look to confirm. :)
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

Nice one... well... here's hoping!!

If you need any more information just ask. As I say the files are a little large, usually arounr 50 or 60 megs. But I can always find some way of getting a full one to you... or in fact I could test it test myself :-)

Cheers for now
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Okay, I figured it out. Yet, I can't implement it yet in MultiEx Commander, as my script has a bug i had not detected before that prevents certain variables to be treated the way I want them. I will see if I can write a quick extractor to help you out first. Priority has the new release of MultiEx COmmander though, that will then hopefully also open your files. But if I can find some time a small stand-alone extractor won't be a problem.
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

Excellent!!

You are a wonder!!

Sounds good to me.... and at least I helped you discover a bug :-)

I look forward to anything you can help with...

Cheers for now
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Well,

1. I've fixed MultiEx Commander and the next release will open the files
2. I've hastily created SeXWAD, a tool you can use NOW to extract all files in these SXWAD archives. Just point to an archive and select a directory to extract into using "Extract to...". See attachment! Oh, make sure you have MultiEx Commander installed or else it might not work.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

OMG.....

You are an absolute GOD!!

More later!! Too excited!!

Cheers for now

<edit>

There is a slight problem :(

The textures that I thought were in these wads don't appear to be. It is likely that they are stored in a file with an "xpr" extension, which I believe Xbox uses for pics etc.

I shall attach one just in case you fancy a look :) (PLEASE!)

Other than that, everything else is working really well!! Damn good job!!

</edit>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Okay, please backup your old MC.MRF file in the MultiEx Commander data/config dir, and replace with attached. You can now open xpr files and extract the stuff, EXCEPT for the last file in there. I haven't found a way yet to overcome the format for the last one.

Will release anyway in the next version. :)
Last edited by Mr.Mouse on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

Nice one :-)

But :-(

I can extract files... but those files should be bmps... but they don't seem to be. In fact, they seem to be about half the size they should be... even though they are supposed to be higher quality... I am confused...

Any ideas?

Great job btw...!!

Cheers for now
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Well, that's right though, I didn't find any standard *.BMP in there. Just raw data.
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

It's a little strange.

I have found out that....

The Xbox executable uses MOST of the origianl counterstrike files to "play" the game...

BUT...

Some things are changed i.e. models use new textures that are contained "elsewhere" namely in these xpr files...

The file structure is as it should be, it's just that they appear to be the wrong size and they are not "readable" by any windows app I have :-(

I shall attach another example xdr whch will not extract, an example of a file which has been extracted and a supposed overlay of a model texture.

Any more information would be a great help.

Cheers for now

PS - I believe there is something of a problem with xdr files generally. Maybe it's all down to being able to run an Xbox executable? I dunno...

http://talisman.clift.org/talismanislan ... uzzled.rar - Can't figure the attach thing again!!!
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

Yup... definitely textures in them... I opened one with TextureFinder 2.0 (Tomb Raider Utility). Can't extract them with it though....

They are the same sizes as normal textures, but slightly off-centre :-(

I could probably manage with doing this and resizing/cropping/putting together, but it'd be nice to be able to just get them out of there :-)

Cheers for now
Rusty_le_Cyborg
advanced

<EDIT!!>

Actually, these are pretty usable (well the xpr's that can be extracted.

Strangley I can extra these files (named BMP etc) and then if I load them into Texture Finder I can see them fine :-)

Quite odd... I gues I will never understand file formats etc!!

Cheers for now
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Which XPR is this? Not the one you sent surely?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Ah yes, it works indeed. So, they are DXT3 compressed textures. Good to know. Get yourself the DXTool/Plugin for Photoshop from NVidia I believe and you can edit your own. Just make sure you just copy the data in the DXT3 files (no headers and such).