Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Titan Quest 3D Files Format

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
gameboyo
ultra-n00b

Re: Titan Quest 3D Files Format

Post by gameboyo »

Ok this is what i figured out: it is quite probable that there's a "simple" head-tail issue creating the armature problem.

I believe that you can see what's happening if you look at the armature with the octahedron bone rappresentation.
In the attached image you can see that the bones SHOULD follow the red-lined path, since a child's head must be cohincident with its parent's tail.

Szkaradek123 might it be that you're not correctly aligning heads and tails?
Furthermore, i noticed that the bones on the right side of the armature (left side of the image) is "flipped" upwards (as if mirrored on the blender file x axis: could it be that there's a "global" and "local" axes reference problem when importing?
I am ignorant on the subject, but could it be that you need to use a global axis reference for -all- bones, rather than a local axis reference? I mean, right side bones UP -must- be equal to left side bones up, right?

Lol you've hooked me on this problem Szkaradek123, what can I do to help you solve it? :mrgreen:
guessing.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rimbros
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Rimbros »

Its true!!!! the bones should follow the red-lined path, its really posible this missalign the structure :mrgreen: good advance Gameboyo.
Renders Art by Rimbros
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn12 ... E/Renders/

Personal Game repository samples, send PM
zardalu
veteran

Post by zardalu »

I see you are making great progress on Skeletal meshes, good job! Is there anyway to export a static mesh to the Titan Quest .msh format?
GoatSquared
ultra-n00b

Post by GoatSquared »

Great work, Szkaradek123! I also am having the same issues the others were and was wondering if you or anyone else had had a fix for this? Again, really great work so far, but I'm hoping the problems have been addressed since then?
GoatSquared
ultra-n00b

Post by GoatSquared »

Well I've been trying to fix this manually and for anyone else trying to find a way to get this to work for animated meshes, it appears the quickest manual solution is to turn off deformation of the skin mesh, rotate the bones to the proper orientation, then turn back on deformation of the skin mesh and finally load the animation.

Unfortunately, I'm a very novice blender user and I can't even figure out how to do that, but I'm fairly experienced in Max and I was able to do it there using FBX. I may have been going "the long way around", but what I did was export the skin and bones separately via FBX, imported them into Max and corrected the bone orientation, then exported just the armature for a mesh which had been animated in Blender and imported that into the same scene I had with just the skeleton and mesh. It still screws up the bones but if you fix them a second time (and flip the normals on the mesh) you wind up with something which is about 98-100% of what you'd want. I did this using the wolf model. Other models may present more of a challenge but hopefully not.

I'm trying to hunt down the commands in Blender 249 to 1) turn off skin mesh deformation (while I work on the bones), 2) rotate the bones individually in Blender (with a percentage snap) and really, if you know how to do those things you can almost certainly fix them in Blender, by hand. I'm under the assumption that when you use the python script in Blender to load the anims, that it takes whatever skeletal orientation you already have and runs with it.

If someone comes up with a fix to the script itself I and I'm sure the few hundred people who are still modding Titan Quest off and on would _really_ appreciate it. If I come up with something better, I'll post it here so everyone can benefit.
Rimbros
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Rimbros »

GoatSquared wrote:Well I've been trying to fix this manually and for anyone else trying to find a way to get this to work for animated meshes, it appears the quickest manual solution is to turn off deformation of the skin mesh, rotate the bones to the proper orientation, then turn back on deformation of the skin mesh and finally load the animation.

Unfortunately, I'm a very novice blender user and I can't even figure out how to do that, but I'm fairly experienced in Max and I was able to do it there using FBX. I may have been going "the long way around", but what I did was export the skin and bones separately via FBX, imported them into Max and corrected the bone orientation, then exported just the armature for a mesh which had been animated in Blender and imported that into the same scene I had with just the skeleton and mesh. It still screws up the bones but if you fix them a second time (and flip the normals on the mesh) you wind up with something which is about 98-100% of what you'd want. I did this using the wolf model. Other models may present more of a challenge but hopefully not.

I'm trying to hunt down the commands in Blender 249 to 1) turn off skin mesh deformation (while I work on the bones), 2) rotate the bones individually in Blender (with a percentage snap) and really, if you know how to do those things you can almost certainly fix them in Blender, by hand. I'm under the assumption that when you use the python script in Blender to load the anims, that it takes whatever skeletal orientation you already have and runs with it.

If someone comes up with a fix to the script itself I and I'm sure the few hundred people who are still modding Titan Quest off and on would _really_ appreciate it. If I come up with something better, I'll post it here so everyone can benefit.

Send pm to Zskaradek, he its the blender master he can do this you tell.
Renders Art by Rimbros
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn12 ... E/Renders/

Personal Game repository samples, send PM