Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[X360] Star Ocean The Last Hope

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Rayved
beginner

Re: [X360] Star Ocean The Last Hope

Post by Rayved »

I succeeded in making the script work but only with the xbox version of the game. The header in the ps3 files I was trying was ASF too and I tried a couple ones but none of them worked. It's a shame, I wanted to modify the models and pack them back for playing in my ps3.
If you can't hack it, it's boring.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

You wouldn't be able to re-import the models into the game anyway with the current level of progress. Bones aren't properly supported yet, and there is no ASF exporter yet.
Rayved
beginner

Post by Rayved »

Can anyone tell me in which PACK the character models are located? All I've found so far are models of the Calnus or another similar ship.

Edit: I'm talking about the playable characters of course, but NPCs would be appreciated too
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

9... I think.
Rayved
beginner

Post by Rayved »

Pack 9 contains 7 unslz files that are from 2 to 26 kb only (xbox version). I have the ps3 version too but I can't extract the models (blender script doesn't work on it). I'm starting to wonder if the character files are spread out in many different packs for the xbox version since I can't seem to find one with the same number of files and similar file sizes as the pack 9 from ps3 version.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

oops my bad, it might be 2... but I don't think the blender script works on PS3 version models... or so I've read...

I think 9 is in fact their textures rather than their models. They should be archived DXT formats, some are DXT1 some are DXT3 as I recall...

From what I understand, PS3 version is where to go for textures, and 360 is the one to look at for models.

I have my models in a rar labeled something with a 2 at the end... so try looking in 2?
TheDude
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by TheDude »

As a side note, notice the identifiers. They're in chronological order.
i.e., when you first meet that character/they join your party.
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
TheDude
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by TheDude »

I tried figuring out the ps3 files' offsets, but it was giving me a headache. :bleh:
So here's this instead:

rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

That's just great, you're helping a lot. Thank you for taking the time for doing it Now I know where Eleyna textures are (she was the only one I hadn't found yet).
Thanks.
Rayved
beginner

Post by Rayved »

Oh man, thank you very much. Can't wait to do animation with these characters :P
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

Animation eh? Be sure to post back something when you get it done. TheDude's renders are pretty awesome, I'd like to see what kind of animation talent there is at Xentax too.

Oh, btw, you'll have to rig everything yourself, the bones don't work properly yet as far as I'm aware. I've been stalling rigging my set >.>
(But I've also been working on Xenosaga3 and Megaman Legends 2 models and doing some scratch modeling and texturing too, so I guess that's not really "stalling")

Can we get a merger of the two SO4 threads?
Rayved
beginner

Post by Rayved »

I hate rigging and weight painting but I guess I just need more practise. I study 3d animation at school btw, so this'll be like a cool homework for me :P

EDIT: I just noticed it's soz0 we have to run the script on. I thought I read somewhere that it was soz1. Oh well.

Edit2: I'd like some help on using texture finder. It seems I can only save the image I currently see when I click the camera button, but I'd like to save the whole image (because it's too big for my resolution to scale the window big enough for the whole thing)
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

Rayved wrote:I hate rigging and weight painting but I guess I just need more practise. I study 3d animation at school btw, so this'll be like a cool homework for me :P

EDIT: I just noticed it's soz0 we have to run the script on. I thought I read somewhere that it was soz1. Oh well.

Edit2: I'd like some help on using texture finder. It seems I can only save the image I currently see when I click the camera button, but I'd like to save the whole image (because it's too big for my resolution to scale the window big enough for the whole thing)
That is an issue, but your image is saved as a 32bit Alpha enabled BMP, so if you open it in a competent image editor like photoshop, you can splice the images together and re-save them as a full alpha-enabled image.
Personally I just opted to use the 512^2 textures since they're less defined, but not really noticeably so for most applications.

I too studied animation and modeling in college, never got around to rendering though, since my course was geared directly for game development. I was the guinea pig for the course, as I was in the first class that they offered it... so my training was a bit... self-service. But with the books and mandatory in class practice I did learn quite a bit.

Have you messed with Unity at all? You might be able to make a living with it. Animators are hard to come by cheap, and I personally hate it... I can never make it look... perfect.
Modeling I like though.

Anyway, The Dude has told me that you can find the texture data offset with texture finder(there's an obvious statement...) and then attach a DDS header to it and it should work as a proper file. However you have to know a bit about hex editing... and DDS file headers.

Most files are DXT1 with no alpha, but some are DXT3, and very very rarely you might find a DXT5. (Meracle's ears seem to be DXT5, but they're used for some sort of displacement transparent fur shader...)
Rayved
beginner

Post by Rayved »

Our course sucks too. The teacher we get the most in our classes is so lame, he checks your work once and gives a mark on his feeling, he doesn't really check anything technical about it, and he doesnt help students much, instead he chills with the best students and compliments them instead of checking on the ones with more difficulty.

Anyway, for the texture thing, I don't know much about hex editing but I checked a few of the videos posted in this thread and I'll get around it, I just need to know what the correct header should be so I can replace in the file.

I have Unity on my pc but I didnt get a chance to play with it much since I'm always busy with school and life.

Like right now, I'm doing a 3D amusement park for my demo. Very time consuming.